Re: PostgreSQL GUI - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: PostgreSQL GUI
Date
List pgsql-general
> > need a abstractionlayer for accessing tabledescriptions? What if we can
> > just create a connection to another dbs and with just a click create a
> > database, create tables and transfer data into PostgreSQL? Wouldn't that
> > be great?
>
> That would be a very slick feature, but it is also something you can do
> with a 30-second Perl script.

Well, true. You can actually do any task enabled by this software instead by
a 30-second perl script. 30 seconds is fine to complete one task. However,
the process (at least for some people) of creating and modifying a database
structure often involves many steps, and sometimes involves changes of mind.
Graphical clients often can expedite this process by enabling quick results
that help to plan a correct solution. Writing a perl script usually means you
have it already planned out mentally or on paper. A perl interpreter does not
assist in planning in any way.

> > What are the special features you would like to see in a
> > PostgreSQL-specific GUI like this? What makes in your eyes the
> > uniqueness of PostgreSQL compared to others?
>
> I'd like:
> * Highlighted output from EXPLAIN
> * A nice display of all constraint triggers
> * Easy modification of tables (which usually means drop/recreate,
> repopulate, re-establish constraints, reindex, and vacuum analyze)

Agreed.

Regards,
    Jeff