Re: PostgreSQL GUI - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: PostgreSQL GUI
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 02 January 2002 11:19 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thank you for your feedback. I feel it would be a good idea to get some
> interfaces to other databases. Yes - I think I will do that. It would be
> great to transfer data directly from one database to PostgreSQL. Maybe I
> need a abstractionlayer for accessing tabledescriptions? What if we can
> just create a connection to another dbs and with just a click create a
> database, create tables and transfer data into PostgreSQL? Wouldn't that
> be great?

Yes, that would be great. All I meant was that it would be nice to use all of
the features of postgresql (see below) and abstract what we could for the
sake of other databases' interoperability. As development continues, of
course, we could try to add better support for other databases.

> What are the special features you would like to see in a
> PostgreSQL-specific GUI like this? What makes in your eyes the
> uniqueness of PostgreSQL compared to others?

Here is what I had in mind (this list will probably expand as time goes on):
1) a good way to add new functions using a variety of languages
2) a way to view/modify languages and the respective levels of trust
3) managers for views, types, triggers, sequences, rules, and operators
4) Get useful info from the stats table and "EXPLAIN" statement

I am sure some of those features are available in other databases (perhaps
with different implementation), but I am not quite familiar enough with other
DBs to be sure.

> I just uploaded version 0.02 to http://www.maekitalo.de/qpsql. It is not
> very functional yet, but you should see the direction where I'm going to.

I am hoping that I can help you get some things accomplished (I have some
experience with c/c++). I would definately like a tool like this.

As a side note, I think this discussion is moving out of the scope of
pgsql-general (although that was a good place to mention it initially).
Perhaps you could set up your website to support some form of communication
(mailing list or forum or whatever). Of course you have to use gbsite
(http://gborg.postgresql.org) :) Maybe I could help with that too.

Regards,
    Jeff