Re: PostgreSQL GUI - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tommi Mäkitalo
Subject Re: PostgreSQL GUI
Date
List pgsql-general
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
Le Dimanche 30 Décembre 2001 20:39, vous avez écrit :
Mirgrating to MySQL or Oracle would be pretty hard. The program tries to
show and modify all I can get out of the systemtables.

Dear Tommy,

There are several database abstraction layers for PHP. I wonder if there
exist some in C++. The advantage of an abstraction layer would be able to
migrate major databases to PostgreSQL which has superior design.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

Hi,

there are several abstraction layers. I could use some ODBC-API, but this wouldn't help. I do something like 'select ... from pg_class where ...' and so on. If the target database has no pg_class or pg_attribute or pg_whatsoever-systemtable, it wouldn't help, if I could send my query to the database. I would like to show everything the PostgreSQL-systemtables will give me. I could try to do some abstraction, but I doubt other databases could give me exactly the information PostgreSQL does. I'm sure MySQL and Oracle and other Databasesystems have much information in their systemtables, but not exactly the same as Pg.

Ok - maybe it could be extended some day for other databasessystems. It would maybe be pretty nice to adminster different databases from the same GUI. Yes that would be a nice idea. But I just try to make something useful. And get it useful as quick as possible. Maybe it will be a dirty hack at first, but it will be a base for new ideas.

Tommi