Re: PostgreSQL GUI - Mailing list pgsql-general

From postgresql@finner.de
Subject Re: PostgreSQL GUI
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05-Jan-02 tony sat down, thought for a long time and then wrote:

>> Maybe you should have a look at pgAdmin
>> (http://pgadmin.postgresql.org). Do
>> you think you can port the interface of pgAdmin to KDE? This would
>> be so nice
>> to have one *single* GUI for Windows and KDE...
>
> Some of us use Gnome (even Ximian Gnome...) too...
>
> I dont have the Qt libs on this machine for example. I use pgaccess
> and have tried various others. A self contained binary with no
> dependency problems would be a nice tool.

There are even some people around who do not like any desktop
environment at all and use a plain old window manager (like me, I use
Motif mwm).

IMHO it would be a good idea to use a library which is widely spread
(preferredly for several OSs), available as open source and can fulfill
all needs there are for a proper GUI. I think there are always nice
guys who create binary packages for people who don´t have the according
shared libs or development packs.

But I hate these applications which seem to run, but only run properly,
if you have this whole big DE installed and running, and otherwise
throw strange errors.There should be no dependency to any DE.

Maybe a good choice would be an overlying API like WxWindows (just an
example, http://www.wxwindows.org), which may use several underlying
toolkits (Gtk, Motif, ...) and compiles on several platforms.

Greetings,
--
Frank Finner

And now there is no turning back at all.
                              (M. Moorcock, "Elric Of Melnibone")"