Re: PostgreSQL GUI - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent R. Matzelle
Subject Re: PostgreSQL GUI
Date
List pgsql-general
--- postgresql@finner.de wrote:
> Maybe a good choice would be an overlying API like WxWindows (just
> an
> example, http://www.wxwindows.org), which may use several
> underlying
> toolkits (Gtk, Motif, ...) and compiles on several platforms.

I would tend to agree with you that WxWindows is a good program
platform to work with.  However, QT has multiple advantages over this
platform and GTK's as well.

First, QT runs on many platforms, including Linux, Windows, Solaris,
HP-UX, Irix, AIX, and the OS X to name a few.  It also has a nice
optional open source license.  You can statically link an application
with it, Opera for Linux is the biggest example.  It has an excellent
open source tool in KDevelop (http://www.kdevelop.org/) and a form
designer tool (http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/tools.html).  Not
to mention multiple modules for database, XML, and table
manipulation.  Plus, the libraries come standard with every major
Linux vendor which gives it a massive base of possible users.

Brent