Re: PostgreSQL GUI - Mailing list pgsql-general

From postgresql@finner.de
Subject Re: PostgreSQL GUI
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05-Jan-02 Tommi Makitalo sat down, thought for a long time and then
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didn't want to start a flamewar for some GUI-tools here. I just
> happen
> to use KDE and I felt that creating a KDE-only tool isn't a good
> idea.
> Qt is a toolkit I happen to know. I wanted just to start a PostgreSQL
> GUI, because there seems to be a need for it. Usually I think more
> about
> structure and technics and so on, when I program, but I wanted just
> get a quick start.
>
> So please stop the discussion here about toolkits. It don't belong
> here
> into the pgsql-general mailinglist. I hope there will be a
> mailinglist
> for my PostgreSQL GUI or maybe others (what about
> pgsql-gui@postgresql.org?). There you can discuss about toolkits and
> which one is best for a PostgreSQL GUI. And if someone like toolkit
> foo
> more: just make your gui. You can use as much code of mine as you
> want.
> That's gpl for.

Hey, no reason to worry!

I think, despite all discussions, it´s a very good idea to create a
good GUI after all. Regardless, if it uses Qt, GTK, Motif or whatever.
It was just a suggestion to use a higher level API to calm things down
but I think if you know about Qt you should just use it! And IMHO a
dependency on a library is OK - as far as it doesn´t mean I have to
install and use the whole KDE! ;-)

So, please go on with your work. There´s really need for it!

Greetings,
--
Frank Finner

And now there is no turning back at all.
                              (M. Moorcock, "Elric Of Melnibone")"