-----Messaggio Originale-----
Da: "Marc SCHAEFER" <schaefer@alphanet.ch>
A: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Data invio: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 03:51 PM
Oggetto: [GENERAL] Some advanced database features, are they present
in
PostgreSQL

> Hi,
>
> I have been using PostgreSQL a bit and I have been surprised by the
good
> quality, the features, and now the Addison-Wesley book which is excellent.
> However, I have some questions about the implementation of a few
> additional features.
>
> I suppose that PostgreSQL hasn't any ability to do the following yet:
>
>    - log all transactions to a special log file, that can be used for
>      backup purposes: ie you dump the database every day, but you keep
>      the transaction log on a separate disk. Should the database disk
>      crash, you won't have any data loss if you restore the backup
and
>      replay the transaction log.
>
>    - hard transactions: cutting the power to a PostgreSQL server
>      may cause data loss and/or data corruption. Some databases use
>      sophisticated techniques to ensure serialization of operation
>      through journaling, redoing some of the transactions at
>      bootup time if required.
>
>    - the ability to synchronize two database servers, with only the
>      changes being exchanged, live. Or the ability to have many
>      servers in a load-balancing or data scattering pool.
>
>    - ability to have databases bigger than the host's maximum file
size

> if this is true, can someone tell me why it hasn't been implemented
yet
> (there might be very good reasons), if it will be, and if the task
seems
> complicated.
>
> thank you for your time.

Re: R: PostgreSQL book

From
Marc SCHAEFER
Date:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, source wrote:

> You can download a postscript version and print yourself a copy, or read
> it online at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html

I have read the PDF version (without printing it), and I will enjoy the
book when it's available here, ie probably about December. I will buy the
book to support the author and also Addison-Wesley, since they allowed the
Internet publication.

That book is definitely worth reading.

Re: R: PostgreSQL book

From
Peter Mount
Date:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, source wrote:
>
> > You can download a postscript version and print yourself a copy, or read
> > it online at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html
>
> I have read the PDF version (without printing it), and I will enjoy the
> book when it's available here, ie probably about December. I will buy the
> book to support the author and also Addison-Wesley, since they allowed the
> Internet publication.
>
> That book is definitely worth reading.

While ordering a book from Amazon, I found that they already have it
available to pre-order, including a photo of the cover.

This may or may not work:

The book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201703319/o/qid=971287877/sr=8-/026-2271509-1950830

The cover pic:
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0201703319.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's 30.99 here in the UK.

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/

Re: R: PostgreSQL book

From
"Steve Wolfe"
Date:
> While ordering a book from Amazon, I found that they already have it
> available to pre-order, including a photo of the cover.

  Heaven help you if you order it from Amazon with a real email address.

  After about a year and a half of trying to get them to stop spamming me, I
simply gave up and dropped the email account.

steve

Re: R: PostgreSQL book

Date:
> > While ordering a book from Amazon, I found that they already have it
> > available to pre-order, including a photo of the cover.
>
>   Heaven help you if you order it from Amazon with a real email address.
>
>   After about a year and a half of trying to get them to stop spamming me, I
> simply gave up and dropped the email account.

Wow, that is terrible.  That and their "one-click" licensing patent have
made me use Barnes and Noble almost exclusively (bn.com).  Actually, BN
has a much larger catalog of out-of-print books.

FYI, I have added an image of the book cover on my web site:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html

Re: R: PostgreSQL book

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Steve Wolfe wrote:

> > While ordering a book from Amazon, I found that they already have it
> > available to pre-order, including a photo of the cover.
>
>   Heaven help you if you order it from Amazon with a real email address.
>
>   After about a year and a half of trying to get them to stop spamming me, I
> simply gave up and dropped the email account.

I've always used a disposable email address with them (and most other
companies I deal with).  But you might want to take another look at
their privacy policy before you order.  Not too long ago they declared
that their customer info is an asset.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

RE: R: PostgreSQL book

From
"Robert D. Nelson"
Date:
>>   Heaven help you if you order it from Amazon with a real email address.
>>
>>   After about a year and a half of trying to get them to stop spamming
>me, I
>> simply gave up and dropped the email account.
>
>I've always used a disposable email address with them (and most other
>companies I deal with).  But you might want to take another look at
>their privacy policy before you order.  Not too long ago they declared
>that their customer info is an asset.

Customer info as an asset aside, I've never been spammed by amazon, and I
use the same email as I'm using now. I'm more worried about limiting the
number of credit cards I use online :)

If nothing else, Amazon and BN both over large pools of reader reviews that
I usually scan before buying any book. Why not be informed, even slightly?

Rob Nelson
rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us

Re: R: PostgreSQL book

From
Adam Haberlach
Date:
On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 12:42:17PM -0600, Steve Wolfe wrote:
> > While ordering a book from Amazon, I found that they already have it
> > available to pre-order, including a photo of the cover.
>
>   Heaven help you if you order it from Amazon with a real email address.
>
>   After about a year and a half of trying to get them to stop spamming me, I
> simply gave up and dropped the email account.

I've never had any problems with them, and I've been ordering from them for
years now.  The one time they messed up an order and shipped me (what turned
out to be) an extra book, they sent me a kit to ship it back within a day.

--
Adam Haberlach            | A billion hours ago, human life appeared on
adam@newsnipple.com       | earth.  A billion minutes ago, Christianity

Re: R: PostgreSQL book

From
"Efrain Caro"
Date:
That is my experience with Amazon.com too. And Amazon's book reviews are
most helpful at buying time. That doesn't mean that looking information at
Amazon will restrict you to Amazon; you can read reviews at Amazon and buy
at BN.

> >>   Heaven help you if you order it from Amazon with a real email
address.

> >>   After about a year and a half of trying to get them to stop spamming
> >me, I
> >> simply gave up and dropped the email account.
> >
> >I've always used a disposable email address with them (and most other
> >companies I deal with).  But you might want to take another look at
> >their privacy policy before you order.  Not too long ago they declared
> >that their customer info is an asset.
>
> Customer info as an asset aside, I've never been spammed by amazon, and I
> use the same email as I'm using now. I'm more worried about limiting the
> number of credit cards I use online :)
>
> If nothing else, Amazon and BN both over large pools of reader reviews
that
> I usually scan before buying any book. Why not be informed, even slightly?
>

> Rob Nelson
> rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us

Re: R: PostgreSQL book

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Wow, that is terrible.  That and their "one-click" licensing patent have
> made me use Barnes and Noble almost exclusively (bn.com).  Actually, BN
> has a much larger catalog of out-of-print books.

And they are accepting pre-orders.  I did mine about two weeks ago.

Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson
raanders@altoplanos.net               Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.

Re: R: PostgreSQL book

From
mjp@ornl.gov
Date:
..not to mention that it is now Amazon's official policy
to use/share personal information they now/will have on
you, arguably, any way they wish:

    http://www.amazon.com/privacy-notice

Morey Parang
Oak Ridge National Lab

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 12:42:17PM -0600, Steve Wolfe wrote:
> > While ordering a book from Amazon, I found that they already have it
> > available to pre-order, including a photo of the cover.
>
>   Heaven help you if you order it from Amazon with a real email address.
>
>   After about a year and a half of trying to get them to stop spamming me, I
> simply gave up and dropped the email account.
>
> steve

Re: R: PostgreSQL book

From
"Mitch Vincent"
Date:
No matter where you choose to buy it, do buy it and support Bruce,
PostgreSQL and the publisher for allowing it to be electronically
published!!

-Mitch