RE: R: PostgreSQL book - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Mount
Subject RE: R: PostgreSQL book
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Robert D. Nelson wrote:

> >>   Heaven help you if you order it from Amazon with a real email address.
> >>
> >>   After about a year and a half of trying to get them to stop spamming
> >me, I
> >> simply gave up and dropped the email account.
> >
> >I've always used a disposable email address with them (and most other
> >companies I deal with).  But you might want to take another look at
> >their privacy policy before you order.  Not too long ago they declared
> >that their customer info is an asset.
>
> Customer info as an asset aside, I've never been spammed by amazon, and I
> use the same email as I'm using now. I'm more worried about limiting the
> number of credit cards I use online :)

I have to admit that I've never been spammed by amazon at all. So far (and
now I say it it will change :-( ) I don't get that much spam anyhow.

> If nothing else, Amazon and BN both over large pools of reader reviews that
> I usually scan before buying any book. Why not be informed, even slightly?

It's always wise to check the reviews. I've saved a lot of money by not
buying books based on them. One that comes to mind was where the author
himself slated his own book...

Peter

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk http://www.retep.org.uk