Sourceforge

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Based on this:

https://lwn.net/Articles/646118/

... it would be great if someone could check on the various mirrors of
PostgreSQL packages on Sourceforge, and make sure that (a) someone from
our project still owns them, and (b) they're still offering actual
Postgres downloads.

Overall, I would suggest that we probably want to disable all Postgres
content mirrors on Sourceforge.  We don't really have the spare time to
maintain them, and this incident shows that that's a bad situation.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Sourceforge

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 05/28/2015 10:06 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> All,
>
> Based on this:
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/646118/
>
> ... it would be great if someone could check on the various mirrors of
> PostgreSQL packages on Sourceforge, and make sure that (a) someone from
> our project still owns them, and (b) they're still offering actual
> Postgres downloads.
>
> Overall, I would suggest that we probably want to disable all Postgres
> content mirrors on Sourceforge.  We don't really have the spare time to
> maintain them, and this incident shows that that's a bad situation.

According to SF, this donkey has left the field:

PostgreSQL
A powerful, open source object-relational database system.
Brought to you by: sf-editor, sf-editor1, sf-editor3

Unless someone in our community is an sf-editor.....

JD

Re: Sourceforge

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 05/28/2015 10:06 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Based on this:
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/646118/

Oops, subscriber-only story (I recommend subscribing to LWN, btw).

Here's the background material:

https://plus.google.com/+gimp/posts/cxhB1PScFpe
https://lwn.net/Articles/646180/
https://sourceforge.net/blog/advertising-bundling-community-and-criticism/
https://lwn.net/Articles/564250/

Summary is:

a) Sourceforge has started bundling installers on some projects with
adware, without notifying the downloading users;

b) Sourceforge has started taking over projects which they deem
abandoned, and there is no appeal/reversal of this takeover.

Date:
On 05/28/2015 10:11 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 05/28/2015 10:06 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> Based on this:
>>
>> https://lwn.net/Articles/646118/
>>
>> ... it would be great if someone could check on the various mirrors of
>> PostgreSQL packages on Sourceforge, and make sure that (a) someone from
>> our project still owns them, and (b) they're still offering actual
>> Postgres downloads.
>>
>> Overall, I would suggest that we probably want to disable all Postgres
>> content mirrors on Sourceforge.  We don't really have the spare time to
>> maintain them, and this incident shows that that's a bad situation.
>
> According to SF, this donkey has left the field:
>
> PostgreSQL
> A powerful, open source object-relational database system.
> Brought to you by: sf-editor, sf-editor1, sf-editor3

Thanks.

They do seem to be maintaining up-to-date downloads.  Can someone on
Windows check to see if they're distributing adware?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Sourceforge

From
"Gilberto Castillo"

> On 05/28/2015 10:06 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> Based on this:
>>
>> https://lwn.net/Articles/646118/
>>
>> ... it would be great if someone could check on the various mirrors of
>> PostgreSQL packages on Sourceforge, and make sure that (a) someone from
>> our project still owns them, and (b) they're still offering actual
>> Postgres downloads.
>>
>> Overall, I would suggest that we probably want to disable all Postgres
>> content mirrors on Sourceforge.  We don't really have the spare time to
>> maintain them, and this incident shows that that's a bad situation.
>
> According to SF, this donkey has left the field:
>
> PostgreSQL
> A powerful, open source object-relational database system.
> Brought to you by: sf-editor, sf-editor1, sf-editor3
>
> Unless someone in our community is an sf-editor.....

This site lock download from Cuba

Saludos,
Gilberto Castillo
ETECSA, La Habana, Cuba
---
This message was processed by Kaspersky Mail Gateway 5.6.28/RELEASE running at host imx3.etecsa.cu
Visit our web-site: <http://www.kaspersky.com>, <http://www.viruslist.com>

Re: Sourceforge

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 05/28/2015 11:15 AM, Gilberto Castillo wrote:

>> On 05/28/2015 10:06 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Based on this:
>>>
>>> https://lwn.net/Articles/646118/
>>>
>>> ... it would be great if someone could check on the various mirrors of
>>> PostgreSQL packages on Sourceforge, and make sure that (a) someone from
>>> our project still owns them, and (b) they're still offering actual
>>> Postgres downloads.
>>>
>>> Overall, I would suggest that we probably want to disable all Postgres
>>> content mirrors on Sourceforge.  We don't really have the spare time to
>>> maintain them, and this incident shows that that's a bad situation.
>>
>> According to SF, this donkey has left the field:
>>
>> PostgreSQL
>> A powerful, open source object-relational database system.
>> Brought to you by: sf-editor, sf-editor1, sf-editor3
>>
>> Unless someone in our community is an sf-editor.....
>
> This site lock download from Cuba

Yes, it's run by a US-based company.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Sourceforge

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
... it would be great if someone could check on the various mirrors of
PostgreSQL packages on Sourceforge, and make sure that (a) someone from
our project still owns them, and (b) they're still offering actual
Postgres downloads.

Overall, I would suggest that we probably want to disable all Postgres
content mirrors on Sourceforge.  We don't really have the spare time to
maintain them, and this incident shows that that's a bad situation.
According to SF, this donkey has left the field:

PostgreSQL
A powerful, open source object-relational database system.
Brought to you by: sf-editor, sf-editor1, sf-editor3
Thanks.

They do seem to be maintaining up-to-date downloads.  Can someone on
Windows check to see if they're distributing adware?

I just did a fresh install of 9.4.2 on Windows 8.  Looked like just the standard EnterpriseDB packaging to me, gives you the option of doing the StackBuilder add-ons when complete.

As an aside, though, it doesn't appear that this is where most people are getting their PostgreSQL:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/postgresql.mirror/files/stats/timeline

Cheers,
Ned

--
Ned Lilly
President and CEO

ned@xTuple.com // +1-757-461-3022 x101
Master your supply chain with xTuple.com – World’s #1 open source ERP
Manufacturing – Distribution – eCommerce

Tell us how we’re doing: Customer Satisfaction Survey

Attachment

Re: Sourceforge

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Ned,

> I just did a fresh install of 9.4.2 on Windows 8.  Looked like just the
> standard EnterpriseDB packaging to me, gives you the option of doing the
> StackBuilder add-ons when complete.
>
> As an aside, though, it doesn't appear that this is where most people
> are getting their PostgreSQL:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/postgresql.mirror/files/stats/timeline

Thanks!

My question was "does the PostgreSQL project need to do anything about
this?", and the answer is apparently "no".

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Sourceforge

From
Santiago Zarate
Date:
To me looks like they're using the one click installers from EBD, on mac is the same as Ned's result.

And since it seems just a copy & paste, and the're not even mirroring anything else apart from these packages,

And according to this:

they won't change anything, unless a project is abandoned, they just want the world to have everything available from their website...

So as Josh said, apparently no action needs to be taken (As long as EDB is still updating the one click installers, or SF has somewhere to download the installers from)

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 2:39 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Ned,

> I just did a fresh install of 9.4.2 on Windows 8.  Looked like just the
> standard EnterpriseDB packaging to me, gives you the option of doing the
> StackBuilder add-ons when complete.
>
> As an aside, though, it doesn't appear that this is where most people
> are getting their PostgreSQL:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/postgresql.mirror/files/stats/timeline

Thanks!

My question was "does the PostgreSQL project need to do anything about
this?", and the answer is apparently "no".

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

Santiago Zarate
Phone Panama: (+507) 831.2500 / Ext. 8456
Phone Taiwan: (+886)  819.53000 / Ext. 8456
Cell Panama: +507 64271684
Cell Taipei: +886 979 665 114
  Skype: sz-smt
  http://foursixnine.io
  http://twitter.com/foursixnine
  http://ve.linkedin.com/in/santiagozarate
  santiago@zarate.net.ve

“Dreams permit each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives.” - William Dement

Re: Sourceforge

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
On 29/05/2015 04:09, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Ned,
>
>> I just did a fresh install of 9.4.2 on Windows 8.  Looked like just the
>> standard EnterpriseDB packaging to me, gives you the option of doing the
>> StackBuilder add-ons when complete.
>>
>> As an aside, though, it doesn't appear that this is where most people
>> are getting their PostgreSQL:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/postgresql.mirror/files/stats/timeline
>
> Thanks!
>
> My question was "does the PostgreSQL project need to do anything about
> this?", and the answer is apparently "no".

I would say YES.

The files may be ok now, but what are they going to do in the future?

We should make sure that everyone knows the SF binaries are no longer
officially endorsed or maintained.

Chances are we cannot re-gain control of the files at SF so anything
may be connected to this project in the future. This appears to be
pretty widespread so I expect any project left using SF will start
moving away soon.

Shane

Re: Sourceforge

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 05/28/2015 06:03 PM, Shane Ambler wrote:
> On 29/05/2015 04:09, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Ned,
>>
>>> I just did a fresh install of 9.4.2 on Windows 8.  Looked like just the
>>> standard EnterpriseDB packaging to me, gives you the option of doing the
>>> StackBuilder add-ons when complete.
>>>
>>> As an aside, though, it doesn't appear that this is where most people
>>> are getting their PostgreSQL:
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/postgresql.mirror/files/stats/timeline
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> My question was "does the PostgreSQL project need to do anything about
>> this?", and the answer is apparently "no".
>>

> I would say YES.
>
> The files may be ok now, but what are they going to do in the future?
>
> We should make sure that everyone knows the SF binaries are no longer
> officially endorsed or maintained.
>
> Chances are we cannot re-gain control of the files at SF so anything
> may be connected to this project in the future. This appears to be
> pretty widespread so I expect any project left using SF will start
> moving away soon.

As long as sourceforge is redistributing unaltered packages, we have no
legal ability to restrict them.  And I'm not keen on court of public
opinion when they haven't actually done anything wrong with our
packages.  They're a free mirror, and one of their staff is even
maintaining the mirror page.  Where's the harm to us?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Sourceforge

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 05/28/2015 06:10 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> As long as sourceforge is redistributing unaltered packages, we have no
> legal ability to restrict them.  And I'm not keen on court of public
> opinion when they haven't actually done anything wrong with our
> packages.  They're a free mirror, and one of their staff is even
> maintaining the mirror page.  Where's the harm to us?

We don't have legal ability to restrict them period. We are BSD
licensed. The best we can do is put up a PSA.

That said, SF doesn't have the traffic to harm us. I am not worried
about it. We aren't a web browser or something "users" would download
(like Gimp).

Sincerely,

JD

Re: Sourceforge

From
Jason Petersen
Date:
> On May 28, 2015, at 7:08 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> We don't have legal ability to restrict them period. We are BSD licensed. The best we can do is put up a PSA.

Today a coworker mused whether we could issue a C&D for misuse of trademark if it comes to that. Maybe?

> That said, SF doesn't have the traffic to harm us. I am not worried about it. We aren't a web browser or something
"users"would download (like Gimp).

We came to the same conclusion at lunch today. I wondered aloud whether Oracle would ever extend their [shameful
practices][1]to MySQL, and someone pointed out that it’s probably only worthwhile to do so for apps likely to be
installedon end-user machines. Adware in server software is not going to pay off.

I saw [at least one project][2] which retained control over its SF account but rather than deleting it just turned off
allread access. Might be a possibility.

[1]: http://www.zdnet.com/article/oracle-extends-its-adware-bundling-to-include-java-for-macs/
[2]: https://twitter.com/OOLua/status/603908660264316928

--
Jason Petersen
Software Engineer | Citus Data

Attachment

Re: Sourceforge

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
I just did a fresh install of 9.4.2 on Windows 8.  Looked like just the
standard EnterpriseDB packaging to me, gives you the option of doing the
StackBuilder add-ons when complete.

As an aside, though, it doesn't appear that this is where most people
are getting their PostgreSQL:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/postgresql.mirror/files/stats/timeline

Thanks!

My question was "does the PostgreSQL project need to do anything about
this?", and the answer is apparently "no".

I would say YES.

The files may be ok now, but what are they going to do in the future?

We should make sure that everyone knows the SF binaries are no longer
officially endorsed or maintained.

Just to be clear, these have not been officially endorsed for *many* years. I think we did at one point, but that's way in the past. I think we even had it in the release announcements at one point.

After that someone did sporadically maintain them (as in upload new versions every now and then but definitely not every minor release) for a while, and then eventually gave up on that.

There's not a single link to that project on the postgres website. I don't think we need to add a "negative link" telling people not to use it, but we just need to keep not telling people to use it.

--

Re: Sourceforge

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 05/28/2015 10:21 PM, Jason Petersen wrote:
>> On May 28, 2015, at 7:08 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>
>> We don't have legal ability to restrict them period. We are BSD licensed. The best we can do is put up a PSA.
>
> Today a coworker mused whether we could issue a C&D for misuse of trademark if it comes to that. Maybe?

Maybe. There is a postgresql trademark but.... the ability to enforce it
as it has never been enforced would be a bit tough.

JD

--
The most kicking donkey PostgreSQL Infrastructure company in existence.
The oldest, the most experienced, the consulting company to the stars.

Re: Sourceforge

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 05/29/2015 06:43 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 05/28/2015 10:21 PM, Jason Petersen wrote:
>>> On May 28, 2015, at 7:08 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We don't have legal ability to restrict them period. We are BSD
>>> licensed. The best we can do is put up a PSA.
>>
>> Today a coworker mused whether we could issue a C&D for misuse of
>> trademark if it comes to that. Maybe?
>
> Maybe. There is a postgresql trademark but.... the ability to enforce it
> as it has never been enforced would be a bit tough.

Theoretically we could do so if they were using the PostgreSQL trademark
to distribute something which "wasn't PostgreSQL".  However, since we've
never engaged in such an enforcement action before, we would only want
to do so if there was clear harm to our users and our reputation.  Which
is completely lacking here.

If you ignore the issues with WinGimp, SF.net is providing us a service:
a free mirror which a handful of people use.  I imagine they would be
flabbergasted to receive a nastygram from an attorney over it, and I
really don't see the benefit from doing so to our commmunity.

We have lots of companies who distribute Postgres, some bundled with
commercial and proprietary software.  It's a big part of how our project
supporters make money.  As long as nobody's being decieved, there is no
cause of action.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Sourceforge

From
Jason Petersen
Date:
> On May 29, 2015, at 10:30 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> we would only want to do so if there was clear harm to our users and
> our reputation.  Which is completely lacking here.

Clearly! I meant only in the context of using a PostgreSQL download as
a malware vector. That’s not presently the case, but I was putting the
idea out there.

> If you ignore the issues with WinGimp, SF.net is providing us a service:
> a free mirror which a handful of people use.

If we ignore the issues with GIMP, this thread doesn’t exist!

FWIW I think filing a takedown is a Rubicon of sorts, and making that
move comes with a cost, especially for the sort of benevolent/laissez-
faire community FOSS projects such as PostgreSQL strive to cultivate.
It would need a clear and present danger to a large segment of users.

On the other hand, there is probably little risk of alienating “good”
community members by going after SF should this behavior continue.

--
Jason Petersen
Software Engineer | Citus Data
303.736.9255
jason@citusdata.com

Attachment

Re: Sourceforge

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2015-05-29 06:43:37 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Maybe. There is a postgresql trademark but.... the ability to enforce it as
> it has never been enforced would be a bit tough.

If it really came to that - and I think it's unlikely - it'd probably be
EDB's trademarks that are violated because they'd probably wrap their
installer.

Re: Sourceforge

From
Brent Friedman
Date:
If no one has done this yet, I can check on the mirrors this week.

Brent Friedman

Date:
On 05/31/2015 09:29 PM, Brent Friedman wrote:
> If no one has done this yet, I can check on the mirrors this week.

Ned Lily did, but thanks!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.