Re: Sourceforge - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jason Petersen
Subject Re: Sourceforge
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> On May 29, 2015, at 10:30 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> we would only want to do so if there was clear harm to our users and
> our reputation.  Which is completely lacking here.

Clearly! I meant only in the context of using a PostgreSQL download as
a malware vector. That’s not presently the case, but I was putting the
idea out there.

> If you ignore the issues with WinGimp, SF.net is providing us a service:
> a free mirror which a handful of people use.

If we ignore the issues with GIMP, this thread doesn’t exist!

FWIW I think filing a takedown is a Rubicon of sorts, and making that
move comes with a cost, especially for the sort of benevolent/laissez-
faire community FOSS projects such as PostgreSQL strive to cultivate.
It would need a clear and present danger to a large segment of users.

On the other hand, there is probably little risk of alienating “good”
community members by going after SF should this behavior continue.

--
Jason Petersen
Software Engineer | Citus Data

Attachment