Re: Sourceforge - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Sourceforge
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 3:03 AM, Shane Ambler <pgsql@sheeky.biz> wrote:
On 29/05/2015 04:09, Josh Berkus wrote:

I just did a fresh install of 9.4.2 on Windows 8.  Looked like just the
standard EnterpriseDB packaging to me, gives you the option of doing the
StackBuilder add-ons when complete.

As an aside, though, it doesn't appear that this is where most people
are getting their PostgreSQL:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/postgresql.mirror/files/stats/timeline

Thanks!

My question was "does the PostgreSQL project need to do anything about
this?", and the answer is apparently "no".

I would say YES.

The files may be ok now, but what are they going to do in the future?

We should make sure that everyone knows the SF binaries are no longer
officially endorsed or maintained.

Just to be clear, these have not been officially endorsed for *many* years. I think we did at one point, but that's way in the past. I think we even had it in the release announcements at one point.

After that someone did sporadically maintain them (as in upload new versions every now and then but definitely not every minor release) for a while, and then eventually gave up on that.

There's not a single link to that project on the postgres website. I don't think we need to add a "negative link" telling people not to use it, but we just need to keep not telling people to use it.