Re: Sourceforge - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Sourceforge
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 05/28/2015 06:03 PM, Shane Ambler wrote:
> On 29/05/2015 04:09, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Ned,
>>
>>> I just did a fresh install of 9.4.2 on Windows 8.  Looked like just the
>>> standard EnterpriseDB packaging to me, gives you the option of doing the
>>> StackBuilder add-ons when complete.
>>>
>>> As an aside, though, it doesn't appear that this is where most people
>>> are getting their PostgreSQL:
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/postgresql.mirror/files/stats/timeline
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> My question was "does the PostgreSQL project need to do anything about
>> this?", and the answer is apparently "no".
>>

> I would say YES.
>
> The files may be ok now, but what are they going to do in the future?
>
> We should make sure that everyone knows the SF binaries are no longer
> officially endorsed or maintained.
>
> Chances are we cannot re-gain control of the files at SF so anything
> may be connected to this project in the future. This appears to be
> pretty widespread so I expect any project left using SF will start
> moving away soon.

As long as sourceforge is redistributing unaltered packages, we have no
legal ability to restrict them.  And I'm not keen on court of public
opinion when they haven't actually done anything wrong with our
packages.  They're a free mirror, and one of their staff is even
maintaining the mirror page.  Where's the harm to us?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.