Brochure final layout

From
Rob Napier
Date:
I have been working on the artwork for the new brochure. I took the concepts previously put forward. I purchased the hi-res images and have created the layout in InDesign. So, subject to choosing a printer and giving final approval on the artwork, we are ready to go.

Here is the link:

    ftp://119.63.202.92/pub/postgresql_8-4_brochure.pdf

I am happy to create artwork for other languages if you send me the text. I can also help you ensure that printers impositions are provided as required. These can vary from place to place. I’ll also do an A4 version for countries that have ceased using Imperial paper sizes.

Should anyone wish to use either of these images: While I am the purchaser, I am effectively an agent of postgresql.org. So they can be used, for example, on PG websites, banners etc. within the wider PG community.

If anyone wanted to use those images (e.g. For corporate promotional material), they would have to purchase their own licence from fotolia.com. At six bucks each for hi-res, that will not break the bank but will protect the rights of the copyright holder.

I hope you are happy with the brochure.

I set it up print-ready, but can provide a copy without crop marks if you wanted to make it downloadable from the postgresql.org or elsewhere.

I have also requested quotes from a digital printer in Portland, OR who has done excellent work for me. Their sales guy will contact Josh Friday to give him prices. If anyone wants to get an alternative price, the specs are:

8 1/2" x 11" printed both sides CMYK on A2 art

Quantity will be 250, 500, 1000 or 5000

Rob Napier

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Rob Napier<rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> I have been working on the artwork for the new brochure. I took the concepts
> previously put forward. I purchased the hi-res images and have created the
> layout in InDesign. So, subject to choosing a printer and giving final
> approval on the artwork, we are ready to go.
>
> Here is the link:
>
>     ftp://119.63.202.92/pub/postgresql_8-4_brochure.pdf

Maybe put it up on the wiki?

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Santiago Zarate
I like it :D

Rob Napier escribió:
> I have been working on the artwork for the new brochure. I took the
> concepts previously put forward. I purchased the hi-res images and have
> created the layout in InDesign. So, subject to choosing a printer and
> giving final approval on the artwork, we are ready to go.
>
> Here is the link:
>
>     ftp://119.63.202.92/pub/postgresql_8-4_brochure.pdf
>
> I am happy to create artwork for other languages if you send me the
> text. I can also help you ensure that printers impositions are provided
> as required. These can vary from place to place. I’ll also do an A4
> version for countries that have ceased using Imperial paper sizes.

Well... here is the text for spanish for this brochure:
http://stuff.zarate.net.ve/postgresql/Traduccion-brochure.txt

If you can please provide a pdf without the stuff for calibrating the
stuff (as if we where going to send it through email...)... i would
really appreciate that :D

(If any spanish-speaker would like to fix the translation... i would
appreciate... my english isnt perfect :P)

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Rob Napier
Date:
Thanks for that Santiago.

I'll give you a day or two to get it checked out. When you tell me it is definitely clear to go, I should be able to set it up quickly. Hopefully the fonts will be less of a problem that with Russian.

But I may need fonts from you if mine don't work.

If anyone has InDesign with Russian please let me know. :)

Thanks

Rob

Date:
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Rob Napier<rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> Thanks for that Santiago.
>
> I'll give you a day or two to get it checked out. When you tell me it is
> definitely clear to go, I should be able to set it up quickly. Hopefully the
> fonts will be less of a problem that with Russian.
>
> But I may need fonts from you if mine don't work.
>
> If anyone has InDesign with Russian please let me know. :)

now also on the wiki:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Image:Postgresql_8-4_brochure.pdf

--
Mike Ellsworth

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 7/10/09 11:57 AM, Rob Napier wrote:
>   Thanks for that Santiago.
>
> I'll give you a day or two to get it checked out. When you tell me it is
> definitely clear to go, I should be able to set it up quickly. Hopefully
> the fonts will be less of a problem that with Russian.
>
> But I may need fonts from you if mine don't work.
>
> If anyone has InDesign with Russian please let me know. :)

Hmm, I wonder if using Scribus would destroy the design?  Will test once
you get source files up.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Mike Ellsworth<younicycle@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Rob Napier<rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
>> Thanks for that Santiago.
>>
>> I'll give you a day or two to get it checked out. When you tell me it is
>> definitely clear to go, I should be able to set it up quickly. Hopefully the
>> fonts will be less of a problem that with Russian.
>>
>> But I may need fonts from you if mine don't work.
>>
>> If anyone has InDesign with Russian please let me know. :)
>
> now also on the wiki:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Image:Postgresql_8-4_brochure.pdf

Very nice. The smiley's look a bit weird, with the - and : the
opposite way round from normal. I'd be inclined to remove them
altogether. Also, maybe lose the shriek at the end of the 'No
elephants were harmed' line, so it's a more authentic looking
statement, but still obviously a joke.

--
Dave Page

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le vendredi 10 juillet 2009 à 14:53:23, Rob Napier a écrit :
> [...]
> I hope you are happy with the brochure.

Yes, for sure. This ads made me laugh a lot. Pretty and funny. Really great
job, Rob!

Thank you.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Brochure final layout

Date:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Le vendredi 10 juillet 2009 ? 14:53:23, Rob Napier a ?crit :
> > [...]
> > I hope you are happy with the brochure.
> >

> Yes, for sure. This ads made me laugh a lot. Pretty and funny. Really great
> job, Rob!

Yep, very eye-catching.

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave,

> Very nice. The smiley's look a bit weird, with the - and : the
> opposite way round from normal.

Smileys have been fixed in the version posted on Rob's site just now.

  I'd be inclined to remove them
> altogether. Also, maybe lose the shriek at the end of the 'No
> elephants were harmed' line, so it's a more authentic looking
> statement, but still obviously a joke.

Yeah.  Rob is asleep now, though, and I can save $100 if I send this to
the printer now instead of next week.  I think we can ignore the !

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Rafael Martinez
Date:
Santiago Zarate wrote:

> Rob Napier escribió:
>>
>>     ftp://119.63.202.92/pub/postgresql_8-4_brochure.pdf
>>
>> I am happy to create artwork for other languages if you send me the
>> text. I can also help you ensure that printers impositions are
>> provided as required. These can vary from place to place. I’ll also do
>> an A4 version for countries that have ceased using Imperial paper sizes.
>>

> Well... here is the text for spanish for this brochure:
> http://stuff.zarate.net.ve/postgresql/Traduccion-brochure.txt
>

> (If any spanish-speaker would like to fix the translation... i would
> appreciate... my english isnt perfect :P)

Hello Santiago

The spanish translation looks very good. I have just a few
comments/suggestions:

* No contribuirá con el calentamiento global -->
  No contribuirá a el calentamiento global

* No se sumara a la Crisis Financiera Mundial -->
  No empeorará la crisis financiera mundial

* No te obligara a dejar de cantar en la ducha. -->
  No te obligará a dejar de cantar en la ducha.

* No aumentara las caries -->
  No aumentará las caries

* Si quieres que el trabajo se haga -->
  Si quieres que un trabajo se haga

* Le pedimos a una de nuestros probadores de betas sobre su punto de
vista de PostgreSQL 8.4 -->

  Le pedimos a uno de nuestros probadores de versiones betas su punto de
vista sobre PostgreSQL 8.4

* las mas comprensivas de todas las bases de datos libres -->
  La base de datos de código libre más potente del mercado

* Aqui esta su lista de sus 10 debe-tener -->
  Aquí está su lista con las diez cosas que debe tener

* Consultas recursivas extraer todo un foro o un árbol completo de
comentarios, con una sola consulta. -->

  Consultas recursivas extraen todo un foro ó un árbol de comentarios
completo en una sola consulta

* Restauración en Paralelo -->
  Restauración en paralelo

* Funciones Olap (Window Functions) para crear reportes complejos,
incluyendo manejo de subtotales y categorizaciones. -->

  Funciones Olap (Window Functions) para crear informes complejos,
incluyendo manejo de subtotales y categorizaciones.

* Nuevas herramientas para monitoreo de consultas, que facilitan la
tarea de encontrar cuellos de botella en un servidor de base de datos -->

  Nuevas herramientas para supervisar consultas, que facilitan la tarea
de encontrar como se está utilizando nuestra base de datos.

* Las mejoras realizadas a las estadísticas y otras mas, hacen mucho mas
fácil tener bases de datos en PostgreSQL de muchos terabytes -->

  Las mejoras realizadas en el 'mapa de visibilidad' y en las
estadísticas hacen mucho mas fácil tener bases de datos de muchos
terabytes en PostgreSQL

* Sintaxis y funcionalidades expandidas para los procedimientos
almacenados, para mayor flexibilidad y facilidad de uso -->

  La ampliación de la sintaxis y funcionalidad disponible para los
procedimientos almacenados, proporcionan una mayor flexibilidad y
facilidad de uso.

* Privilegios por columna, para hacer mas sencillo el manejo de la
seguridad de los datos sensibles -->

  Los privilegios por columna hacen más fácil el asegurar los datos
sensibles.

* Los cotejos por base de datos, hacen que el uso de entornos
multilenguaje sea mucho mas sencillo en PostgreSQl -->

  Los cotejos por base de datos, hacen que el uso de entornos
multilenguaje sea mucho más sencillo en PostgreSQL

* Ahora muchas consultas complejas, se ejecutaran mucho mas rápido-->
  Ahora muchas consultas complejas se ejecutan mucho más rápido.

* Ningun elefante fue agredido antes,durante o luego de la realización
de esta campaña publicitaria -->

  Ningún elefante fue herido durante la realización de esta campaña
publicitaria.

What do you think?

regards
--
 Rafael Martinez, <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no>
 University of Oslo, Norway

 PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Rob Napier
Date:
Dave

The problem with the smiley's was fixed last night and re-uploaded to our ftp server.

The exclamation mark (shriek) is used on both the front and back footnotes. I think it is better left as it is to emphasise that this it IS a joke. Some people just might not get it without some emphasis. It was added after two people in my test market weren’t sure whether it was serious.

I like the use of the smiley’s as they give a slightly nerdy connect to a large part of your target market. It is one of a half dozen visual and textural tricks to give the message context and to connect with the reader. Maybe they should have been done in Courier?

At the same time what I tried to do was to make the ad a little less serious than other material I’ve seen – to appeal to a wider audience and to make people understand that while PostgreSQL may well be the world’s most advanced open source database, it is also highly accessible for people, whatever their IT background.

This has been at the heart of my company’s once:radix project, as is Mike Ellsworth’s
Younicycle, and no doubt there are others moving in the same direction. Popularity and ubiquity are key to the success of any open source project. Getting the message right is almost as important as getting the product right. And getting the message right is, in my view, a cornerstone of this advocacy list.

Over the years that I’ve been a user of PostgreSQL, I’ve observed a lowering of the high-tech walls that have limited non-geek access to it. I’d like to see that continue. If my view is shared with others, I’m willing to do more to help.

So as for the smiley’s:

Dave and Josh would like to see them go. Visually, I think the headline works better with them in. If others have a problem with them, I’ll take them out and will re-send the job to the printer. I really don’t mind either way. You’re the client!

Object lesson: If enough people think it doesn’t look right, it’s probably wrong.

> Very nice. The smiley's look a bit weird, with the - and : the
> opposite way round from normal. I'd be inclined to remove them
> altogether. Also, maybe lose the shriek at the end of the 'No
> elephants were harmed' line, so it's a more authentic looking
> statement, but still obviously a joke.

Regards

Rob Napier

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> Dave and Josh would like to see them go. Visually, I think the headline
> works better with them in.

Actually, I like the smileys.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Rob Napier<rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> So as for the smiley’s:
>
> Dave and Josh would like to see them go. Visually, I think the headline
> works better with them in. If others have a problem with them, I’ll take
> them out and will re-send the job to the printer. I really don’t mind either
> way. You’re the client!
>
> Object lesson: If enough people think it doesn’t look right, it’s probably
> wrong.

I don't feel that strongly either way (especially now they're fixed).
At the end of the day, it's still a nice flyer.

--
Dave Page

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 09:45 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > Object lesson: If enough people think it doesn’t look right, it’s
> > probably wrong.
>
> I don't feel that strongly either way (especially now they're fixed).
> At the end of the day, it's still a nice flyer.

Agreed. It is really nice. Thanks Rob.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com

Attachment

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Rob Napier
Date:
Thank you for your encouragement.

I have been a victim of MS today. My Entourage has randomly deleted a LOT of my emails. Interestingly, it has taken out all of the Advocacy emails that I’ve ever received. So I don’t have any record of the recent conversation of the Spanish translation.

Can someone give me a status report on where it is up to and if it’s right to go, how do I get a copy? I am going to be away on business all week so I’d like to get a copy today (Sunday).

Also, a contact in Switzerland, Herber Schwappacher, has kindly done a first draft in German. Do we have anyone to review it? In particular, we need to ensure that the technical terms are correct.

10 Dinge die PostgreSQL 8.4 nicht tun wird :-(

Wir baten einige Freunde einer Madison Avenue Werbeagentur uns dabei zu helfen, der Welt zu zeigen, warum der Wechsel zu PostgreSQL 8.4 eine so einfache Entscheidung ist

Das war ihr Beitrag:

PostgreSQL logo
Die fortgeschrittenste Open Source Datenbank der Welt

1. Es zerstört keine Regenwälder

2. Es verursacht keinen Krebs

3. Es schädigt die Ozonschicht nicht

4. Es erhöht die Erderwärmung nicht

5. Es erzeugt keine Akne

6. Es belastet Ihre Leber nicht

7. Es bedroht weder Wale noch sonstige vom Aussterben bedrohte Arten

8. Es verschärft die globale Finanzkrise nicht

9. Es hält Sie nicht vom Singen unter der Dusche ab

10. Es beschleunigt den Zahnzerfall nicht

Moral: Will man etwas richtig getan haben, so muss man es selber tun!

10 Dinge die PostgreSQL 8.4 sicher tun wird :-)

Wir baten eine unserer Beta-Testerinnen um eine Stellungnahme zu PostgreSQL 8.4.

Sie freut sich über die lange Features-Liste - “ die umfassendste aller Open Source Datenbanken“.

Das sind ihre 10 'Must-Haves':

PostgreSQL logo

Die fortgeschrittenste Open Source Datenbank der Welt.

1. Rekursive Abfragen erlauben den Abruf eines ganzen Web-Forums oder Kommentar-Baumes mit einer einzigen Abfrage.

2. Paralleler Restore holt einen Backup bis zu 8 Mal schneller zurück.

3. Windowing Funktionen führen  komplexe Reports mit Subtotalen und Ebenen aus.

4. Neue Query-Monitoring Werkzeuge erlauben eine raschere und einfachere Analyse der Last auf dem Datenbank Server.

5. Die 'Visibility Map' und die Verbesserungen in der Statistik unterstützen den Betrieb von multi-Terrabyte Datenbanken mit PostgreSQL.

6. Erweiterte Syntax und Möglichkeiten für 'stored Procedures' sind einfacher und flexibler im Gebrauch.

7. Kolonnen-orientierte Privilegien machen's einfacher, sensitive Daten zu schützen.

8. pg_Migrator macht den Upgrade von 8.3 nach 8.4 zum Kinderspiel für die meisten Benutzer.

9. Sortierfolge-Unterstützung per Datenbank macht es einfacher, PostgreSQL in mehrsprachlichen Umgebungen einzusetzen.

10 Viele komplexe Abfragen laufen x-fach schneller.

Download PostGreSQL 8.4 jetzt! www.postgresql.org/download

Bitte beachten: Beim Machen dieser Anzeige wurden keine Elephanten geschädigt!

Date:
Rob Napier wrote:
> Thank you for your encouragement.
>
> I have been a victim of MS today. My Entourage has randomly deleted a LOT of
> my emails. Interestingly, it has taken out all of the Advocacy emails that
> I¹ve ever received. So I don¹t have any record of the recent conversation of
> the Spanish translation.

Hello Rob

We have been working with the Spanish translation and Santiago was going
to put together the final version today.

It is early morning in Venezuela now, so I suppose he will answer during
the day.

regards
--
 Rafael Martinez, <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no>
 University of Oslo, Norway

 PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/

Re: Brochure final layout

From
damien clochard
Date:
Rob Napier a écrit :
> Thank you for your encouragement.
>
> I have been a victim of MS today. My Entourage has randomly deleted a LOT of
> my emails. Interestingly, it has taken out all of the Advocacy emails that
> I¹ve ever received. So I don¹t have any record of the recent conversation of
> the Spanish translation.

Here's the french translation :

http://www.postgresql.fr/brochure_postgresql_8.4

It's been reviewed by Guillaume Lelarge and Marc Cousin.

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Santiago Zarate
Date:
Rob, as far as Rafael and I can tell... we're done i guess... you can
get a copy of the translation here:

http://stuff.zarate.net.ve/postgresql/Traduccion-brochure.txt
there's also a copy at the vepug team's repository @ launchpad:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vepug/+junk/vepug-projects/annotate/head:/media/pop/Texto/Traduccion-brochure.txt

:) Thanks! :D

Rafael Martinez escribió:
> Rob Napier wrote:
>> Thank you for your encouragement.
>>
>> I have been a victim of MS today. My Entourage has randomly deleted a LOT of
>> my emails. Interestingly, it has taken out all of the Advocacy emails that
>> I¹ve ever received. So I don¹t have any record of the recent conversation of
>> the Spanish translation.
>>

> Hello Rob
>
> We have been working with the Spanish translation and Santiago was going
> to put together the final version today.
>
> It is early morning in Venezuela now, so I suppose he will answer during
> the day.

Yep it is... and with me going to  bed usually at 5:AM :P well.. you can
imagine xD!

> regards

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
Hi Rob,

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Rob Napier<rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> I have been working on the artwork for the new brochure. I took the concepts
> previously put forward. I purchased the hi-res images and have created the
> layout in InDesign. So, subject to choosing a printer and giving final
> approval on the artwork, we are ready to go.
<snip>

> I hope you are happy with the brochure.

It looks great!!  I especially like the smilies :)

And: "It won’t stop you from singing in the shower."

What I like about this flier is that it speaks to our strengths --
sense of humor, AND technical awesomeness.

I didn't see whether you'd uploaded the inDesign originals -- that
would be most helpful as all the designers I know have access to that.

Sorry I wasn't able to reply earlier...

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: Brochure final layout

From
damien clochard
Date:
Selena Deckelmann a écrit :
> Hi Rob,
>
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Rob Napier<rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
>> I have been working on the artwork for the new brochure. I took the concepts
>> previously put forward. I purchased the hi-res images and have created the
>> layout in InDesign. So, subject to choosing a printer and giving final
>> approval on the artwork, we are ready to go.
> <snip>
>
>> I hope you are happy with the brochure.
>
> It looks great!!  I especially like the smilies :)
>
> And: "It won’t stop you from singing in the shower."
>
> What I like about this flier is that it speaks to our strengths --
> sense of humor, AND technical awesomeness.
>
> I didn't see whether you'd uploaded the inDesign originals -- that
> would be most helpful as all the designers I know have access to that.

hi,

Adobe inDesign is really expensive, it doesn't run on Linux and it uses
proprietary formats. For me that's 3 good reasons to use Scribus instead.

I'm not an expert but it seems to me that scribus is perfectly able to
do that kind of documents. Moreover if we want to set up some kind of
"collaborative propaganda", we should talk about the tools we want to use.

Do we have a chance to see a scribus version of this document ?

--
damien

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Santiago Zarate
Date:
If Rob can pass the in desing document... i can ask a friend to move it
to scribus...

damien clochard escribió:
> Selena Deckelmann a écrit :
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Rob Napier<rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
>>> I have been working on the artwork for the new brochure. I took the concepts
>>> previously put forward. I purchased the hi-res images and have created the
>>> layout in InDesign. So, subject to choosing a printer and giving final
>>> approval on the artwork, we are ready to go.
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I hope you are happy with the brochure.
>> It looks great!!  I especially like the smilies :)
>>
>> And: "It won’t stop you from singing in the shower."
>>
>> What I like about this flier is that it speaks to our strengths --
>> sense of humor, AND technical awesomeness.
>>
>> I didn't see whether you'd uploaded the inDesign originals -- that
>> would be most helpful as all the designers I know have access to that.
>>

> hi,
>
> Adobe inDesign is really expensive, it doesn't run on Linux and it uses
> proprietary formats. For me that's 3 good reasons to use Scribus instead.
>
> I'm not an expert but it seems to me that scribus is perfectly able to
> do that kind of documents. Moreover if we want to set up some kind of
> "collaborative propaganda", we should talk about the tools we want to use.
>
> Do we have a chance to see a scribus version of this document ?
>
> --
> damien

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> Do we have a chance to see a scribus version of this document ?

I was talking to Rob about this and he didn't know any way to convert an
InDesign document to Scribus.  Do you?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Brochure final layout

From
damien clochard
Date:
Josh Berkus a écrit :

>> Do we have a chance to see a scribus version of this document ?
>
> I was talking to Rob about this and

Sorry i was offline last week, i just didn't see your previous messages
about this.

>he didn't know any way to convert an
> InDesign document to Scribus.  Do you?

Afaik there's no way to do this easily at the moment. The best you can
do is export your inDesign in EPS format and then import it into
scribus, but that only helps you to recreate your templates. Most of the
work has to be done a second time.

Same thing with QuarkXpress.

i think that's the whole point of having a discuss on publishing tools.
When you choose one, it's very hard to move to another.

My message is not aimed directly at Rob. He did a tremendous work and i
can understand if he doesn't want to recreate the document from scratch
on Scribus. i was just asking if someone can/wants to do  it. If
Santiago Zarate knows someone that can help us that's good news. I think
we should try that.

Like in many domains, in publishing the initial choice of the tools is
very important. I think we should discuss about it and maybe give some
basic recommendations or guidelines to people that wants to help like
Rob and others. Something like "If you want to help us advertise
PostgreSQL, we'd prefer you to use the following formats : blablabla ".

I think less frustrating to know that **before** you start :-)

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Santiago Zarate wrote:
> Rob, as far as Rafael and I can tell... we're done i guess... you can
> get a copy of the translation here:
>
> http://stuff.zarate.net.ve/postgresql/Traduccion-brochure.txt
> there's also a copy at the vepug team's repository @ launchpad:

Here's my version with a few more fixes.

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Rob Napier wrote:
> Thank you for your encouragement.
>
> I have been a victim of MS today. My Entourage has randomly deleted a
> LOT of my emails. Interestingly, it has taken out all of the Advocacy
> emails that I’ve ever received. So I don’t have any record of the recent
> conversation of the Spanish translation.
>
> Can someone give me a status report on where it is up to and if it’s
> right to go, how do I get a copy? I am going to be away on business all
> week so I’d like to get a copy today (Sunday).
>
> Also, a contact in Switzerland, Herber Schwappacher, has kindly done a
> first draft in German. Do we have anyone to review it? In particular, we
> need to ensure that the technical terms are correct.

This translation could do with a few improvements(though I think that
some of the phrases should be completely rephrased to sound more like
realistically used german) - some comments follow nevertheless

> 10 Dinge die PostgreSQL 8.4 _nicht_ tun wird :-(
>
> Wir baten einige Freunde einer Madison Avenue Werbeagentur uns dabei zu
> helfen, der Welt zu zeigen, warum der Wechsel zu PostgreSQL 8.4 eine so
> einfache Entscheidung ist

Wir baten einige Freunde der Madison Avenue Werbeagentur uns dabei zu
helfen, der Welt zu zeigen, warum der Wechsel zu PostgreSQL 8.4 eine so
einfache Entscheidung ist

> *Das war ihr Beitrag:
>
> *PostgreSQL logo
> Die fortgeschrittenste Open Source Datenbank der Welt

Die fortschrittlichste Open Source Datenbank der Welt.

> 1. Es zerstört keine Regenwälder
>
> 2. Es verursacht keinen Krebs
>
> 3. Es schädigt die Ozonschicht nicht
>
> 4. Es erhöht die Erderwärmung nicht

reads weird - maybe "Leistet keinen Beitrag zur Erderwärmung"

> 5. Es erzeugt keine Akne

this is just plain weird - no better idea though

> 6. Es belastet Ihre Leber nicht
>
> 7. Es bedroht weder Wale noch sonstige vom Aussterben bedrohte Arten

"Gefährdet weder Wale nochst sonstige vom Aussterben bedrohte Arten"

> 8. Es verschärft die globale Finanzkrise nicht
>
> 9. Es hält Sie nicht vom Singen unter der Dusche ab
>
> 10. Es beschleunigt den Zahnzerfall nicht

reads strange

> *Moral:* Will man etwas richtig getan haben, so muss man es selber tun!
>
> 10 Dinge die PostgreSQL 8.4 _sicher_ tun wird :-)
>
> Wir baten eine unserer Beta-Testerinnen um eine Stellungnahme zu
> PostgreSQL 8.4.
>
> Sie freut sich über die lange Features-Liste - “ die umfassendste aller
> Open Source Datenbanken“.
>
> *Das sind ihre 10 'Must-Haves':
>
> *PostgreSQL logo
>
> Die fortgeschrittenste Open Source Datenbank der Welt.
>
> *1. Rekursive Abfragen* erlauben den Abruf eines ganzen Web-Forums oder
> Kommentar-Baumes mit einer einzigen Abfrage.
>
> *2. Paralleler Restore* holt einen Backup bis zu 8 Mal schneller zurück.

"Hilft Ihnen Backups bis zu acht male schneller Wiederherzustellen"

> *3. Windowing Funktionen* führen  komplexe Reports mit Subtotalen und
> Ebenen aus.

"Ebenen" makes not a lot of sense here

> *4. Neue Query-Monitoring Werkzeuge* erlauben eine raschere und
> einfachere Analyse der Last auf dem Datenbank Server.
>
> *5. Die 'Visibility Map' und die Verbesserungen in der Statistik*
> unterstützen den Betrieb von multi-Terrabyte Datenbanken mit PostgreSQL.

hmm

> *6. Erweiterte Syntax und Möglichkeiten für 'stored Procedures'* sind
> einfacher und flexibler im Gebrauch.
>
> *7. Kolonnen-orientierte Privilegien* machen's einfacher, sensitive
> Daten zu schützen.

"Kolonnen-orientierte Privilegien" is wrong - maybe "Spaltenorientiert"

> *8. pg_Migrator* macht den Upgrade von 8.3 nach 8.4 zum Kinderspiel für
> die meisten Benutzer.
>
> *9. Sortierfolge-Unterstützung per Datenbank* macht es einfacher,
> PostgreSQL in mehrsprachlichen Umgebungen einzusetzen.

makes not a lot of sense worded that way

> *10 Viele komplexe Abfragen* laufen x-fach schneller.
>
> Download PostGreSQL 8.4 jetzt! www.postgresql.org/download
>
> *Bitte beachten:* Beim Machen dieser Anzeige wurden keine Elephanten
> geschädigt!

"Bei der Herstellung dieses Dokuments wurden keine Elefanten verletzt"
maybe?

Stefan

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Santiago Zarate
Date:

damien clochard escribió:
> Selena Deckelmann a écrit :
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Rob Napier<rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
>>> I have been working on the artwork for the new brochure. I took the concepts
>>> previously put forward. I purchased the hi-res images and have created the
>>> layout in InDesign. So, subject to choosing a printer and giving final
>>> approval on the artwork, we are ready to go.
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I hope you are happy with the brochure.
>> It looks great!!  I especially like the smilies :)
>>
>> And: "It won’t stop you from singing in the shower."
>>
>> What I like about this flier is that it speaks to our strengths --
>> sense of humor, AND technical awesomeness.
>>
>> I didn't see whether you'd uploaded the inDesign originals -- that
>> would be most helpful as all the designers I know have access to that.
>>

> hi,
>
> Adobe inDesign is really expensive, it doesn't run on Linux and it uses
> proprietary formats. For me that's 3 good reasons to use Scribus instead.
>
> I'm not an expert but it seems to me that scribus is perfectly able to
> do that kind of documents. Moreover if we want to set up some kind of
> "collaborative propaganda", we should talk about the tools we want to use.
>
> Do we have a chance to see a scribus version of this document ?
>
> --
> damien

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Rob Napier
Date:
Hi!

My apologies for not being able to respond over the past few days. I’ve been in Adelaide working at locations where I was unable to send emails.

I’ll respond to all recent emails over the next 24 hours. Where I have copy, I’ll complete construction of the translated artwork and will place that on one of our FTP servers.

Regarding the translation of the InDesign layouts to an open source package. It is not a problem. I am happy to switch, though I am not entirely convinced that it is adequate. I think it is an extreme view to assume that all open source is ‘good’ while all commercial software is ‘bad’.

Adobe invented our modern typographic font systems and tools. No one does it as well as they do. As well as font technology they have set the trends in page design, illustration, photo manipulation, et al.

It is no great problem for me to set up a page in multiple languages and there are many others who would have the capacity to assist. The advantages that come from tight typographical controls (kerning, leading, etc.) and the efficiency that comes from using the best design tools available is a great incentive.

That said, I don’t have a problem converting any designs I produce to an open source package if that makes the material more accessible to a wider market. I would like to look at a working with a special interest group to work on standardization of marketing material. I understand that the website is in the process of being re-designed through a competition. Perhaps there could be some flow-on effects from that activity.

Regards

Rob Napier

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Rob Napier<rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My apologies for not being able to respond over the past few days. I’ve been
> in Adelaide working at locations where I was unable to send emails.
>
> I’ll respond to all recent emails over the next 24 hours. Where I have copy,
> I’ll complete construction of the translated artwork and will place that on
> one of our FTP servers.
>
> Regarding the translation of the InDesign layouts to an open source package.
> It is not a problem. I am happy to switch, though I am not entirely
> convinced that it is adequate. I think it is an extreme view to assume that
> all open source is ‘good’ while all commercial software is ‘bad’.
>
> Adobe invented our modern typographic font systems and tools. No one does it
> as well as they do. As well as font technology they have set the trends in
> page design, illustration, photo manipulation, et al.

All very true.  In addition, even a modest sized print shop can have
an elaborate work-flow system built specifically around a set of apps,
Adobe CS or Quark + x.  Walking in with Scribus for a small order of
1,000 may not be 'warmly received'.  Learning and integrating a new
app for a small order is not that simple.

--
Mike Ellsworth

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Mike Ellsworth<younicycle@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Adobe invented our modern typographic font systems and tools. No one does it
>> as well as they do. As well as font technology they have set the trends in
>> page design, illustration, photo manipulation, et al.
>>

> All very true.  In addition, even a modest sized print shop can have
> an elaborate work-flow system built specifically around a set of apps,
> Adobe CS or Quark + x.  Walking in with Scribus for a small order of
> 1,000 may not be 'warmly received'.  Learning and integrating a new
> app for a small order is not that simple.

Additionally, while most open source developers may not purchase a
license for an Adobe product, most designers that I know have it.

I think it's fantastic to have Scribus versions of documents, but
perhaps the translation process should be a project for an
enthusiastic volunteer inside of the Postgres community.

Contributions from people with design experience are very useful, and
I don't want to discourage them because a person uses an
industry-standard tool.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Rob,

> Regarding the translation of the InDesign layouts to an open source
> package. It is not a problem. I am happy to switch, though I am not
> entirely convinced that it is adequate. I think it is an extreme view to
> assume that all open source is ‘good’ while all commercial software is
> ‘bad’.

Not, "instead of", rather, "in addition to".  InDesign has the advantage
of being an industry standard.  However, many of our volunteers can't
afford an InDesign license just to be able to
print/edit/translate/modify the flyer.  So *if possible* we should
provide both an Indesign version and an Scribus or Inkscape one.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Brochure final layout

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:14:06PM +1000, Rob Napier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My apologies for not being able to respond over the past few days.
> I¹ve been in Adelaide working at locations where I was unable to
> send emails.
>
> I¹ll respond to all recent emails over the next 24 hours. Where I
> have copy, I¹ll complete construction of the translated artwork and
> will place that on one of our FTP servers.
>
> Regarding the translation of the InDesign layouts to an open source
> package.  It is not a problem. I am happy to switch, though I am not
> entirely convinced that it is adequate.

It's probably not.  There are some places where free software simply
has not caught up with proprietary.  Keynote would be one example.

> I think it is an extreme view to assume that all open source is
> Œgood¹ while all commercial software is Œbad¹.

With due respect, the dichotomy between open source and commercial is
false.  I'd venture to say that more open source software is used in
commerce than all the proprietary software combined, especially when
you consider that TCP, UDP, FTP, HTTP, and IP are all open source.

I know it's an apparently small difference in terminology, but this is
actually a pretty big deal.  Free software and commerce have always
been and will always be closely allied.

The PostgreSQL project goes even further.  From its outset, the
project has explicitly helped build proprietary software, both by
releasing under the BSD license, and by actively encouraging people to
build such products.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Greg Stark
Date:
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:42 PM, David Fetter<david@fetter.org> wrote:

> With due respect, the dichotomy between open source and commercial is
> false.  I'd venture to say that more open source software is used in
> commerce than all the proprietary software combined, especially when
> you consider that TCP, UDP, FTP, HTTP, and IP are all open source.

While I agree with the sentiment those aren't examples of free
software, they're not software at all, they're protocols. All of them
have multiple implementations, some of which are proprietary and some
of which are free. Interestingly they were all developed first in free
implementations and only subsequently implemented in proprietary
systems but that's not too surprising for the IETF.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Santiago Zarate
Date:
Well... today i just printed a PostgreSQL Banner~  for our community
(we're having a booth at an event tomorrow), I used scribus to design
it... and just exported my work to an eps file... they guys at the
printshop where Ok with it...

and istead of using scribus i would suggest to use SVG~, which is used
in both sides of the road not very much... but almost every designer
knows what SVG's are... (Correctme please if i'm wrong :P, i'm speaking
for my country's designer...)

Also, i agree with Selena.... I would add... that using privative
software is not wrong... as long as what they're providing material with
no strings attached...

Rob Napier escribió:
> Hi!
>
> My apologies for not being able to respond over the past few days. I’ve
> been in Adelaide working at locations where I was unable to send emails.
>
> I’ll respond to all recent emails over the next 24 hours. Where I have
> copy, I’ll complete construction of the translated artwork and will
> place that on one of our FTP servers.
>
> Regarding the translation of the InDesign layouts to an open source
> package. It is not a problem. I am happy to switch, though I am not
> entirely convinced that it is adequate. I think it is an extreme view to
> assume that all open source is ‘good’ while all commercial software is
> ‘bad’.
>
> Adobe invented our modern typographic font systems and tools. No one
> does it as well as they do. As well as font technology they have set the
> trends in page design, illustration, photo manipulation, et al.
>
> It is no great problem for me to set up a page in multiple languages and
> there are many others who would have the capacity to assist. The
> advantages that come from tight typographical controls (kerning,
> leading, etc.) and the efficiency that comes from using the best design
> tools available is a great incentive.
>
> That said, I don’t have a problem converting any designs I produce to an
> open source package if that makes the material more accessible to a
> wider market. I would like to look at a working with a special interest
> group to work on standardization of marketing material. I understand
> that the website is in the process of being re-designed through a
> competition. Perhaps there could be some flow-on effects from that activity.
>
> Regards
>
> Rob Napier

Re: Brochure final layout

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> It's probably not.  There are some places where free software simply
> has not caught up with proprietary.  Keynote would be one example.

You and I will have to disagree about Keynote; I find it generally
annoying and not very advanced.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Brochure final layout / Scribus Version

From
damien clochard
Date:
Hello,

I took some time to do some reverse ingeneering on Rob Napier's great
work and convert it to Scribus.

The result is here :
http://svn.postgresql.fr/repos/materials/advocacy/trunk/brochures/10things/scribus/english/

If you want to compare the two versions :

Here's Rob's original work :
http://wiki.postgresql.org/images/b/ba/Postgresql_8-4_brochure.pdf

Here's the scribus version :

http://svn.postgresql.fr/repos/materials/advocacy/trunk/brochures/10things/scribus/english/postgresql_8-4.brochure.scribus.pdf

i used slightly different fonts and colors because i failed to guess
what Rob used.... Otherwise the documents are pretty much the same.

If any of you wants to hack this scribus file, let me know and i'll put
it in the graphics repository of pgFoundry.

damien