Re: Brochure final layout - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Mike Ellsworth
Subject Re: Brochure final layout
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Rob Napier<rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My apologies for not being able to respond over the past few days. I’ve been
> in Adelaide working at locations where I was unable to send emails.
>
> I’ll respond to all recent emails over the next 24 hours. Where I have copy,
> I’ll complete construction of the translated artwork and will place that on
> one of our FTP servers.
>
> Regarding the translation of the InDesign layouts to an open source package.
> It is not a problem. I am happy to switch, though I am not entirely
> convinced that it is adequate. I think it is an extreme view to assume that
> all open source is ‘good’ while all commercial software is ‘bad’.
>
> Adobe invented our modern typographic font systems and tools. No one does it
> as well as they do. As well as font technology they have set the trends in
> page design, illustration, photo manipulation, et al.

All very true.  In addition, even a modest sized print shop can have
an elaborate work-flow system built specifically around a set of apps,
Adobe CS or Quark + x.  Walking in with Scribus for a small order of
1,000 may not be 'warmly received'.  Learning and integrating a new
app for a small order is not that simple.

--
Mike Ellsworth