Re: Brochure final layout - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Brochure final layout
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:42 PM, David Fetter<david@fetter.org> wrote:

> With due respect, the dichotomy between open source and commercial is
> false.  I'd venture to say that more open source software is used in
> commerce than all the proprietary software combined, especially when
> you consider that TCP, UDP, FTP, HTTP, and IP are all open source.

While I agree with the sentiment those aren't examples of free
software, they're not software at all, they're protocols. All of them
have multiple implementations, some of which are proprietary and some
of which are free. Interestingly they were all developed first in free
implementations and only subsequently implemented in proprietary
systems but that's not too surprising for the IETF.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf