pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From
damien clochard
Date:
Hi !

As a disclaimer : i'm involved in the organization of the next European
PGday and i'm also webmaster or the pgday.fr site.

i recently asked myself  « how many pgdays (or 'PostgreSQL dedicated
conferences' ) have been organized in 2008 ? » . My first answer were
"many" and "more than in 2007" but i couldn't get any numbers easily.

i gave  a sneek peak to others communities, especially Mozilla with
their "Mozilla Party" (mozillaparty.com) and Python with the Pycon
conferences (pycon.org), and i think we should have a website or
something to answer the question : "when is the next PostgreSQL
conference near me ?". And i think the pgday.org website should do that.

For the moment, the pgday.org site is the home of the European pgday but
this  website could easily be moved to pgday.eu . That would even make
more sense. I'm not sure exactly who manages these domains but i guess
it's kinda possible.

As i see it, this new pgday.org website doesn't have to be shiny and
flashy. It would be just a web page linking all the forthcoming events (
UK, brazil, etc... ).

The pgday.org domain could used to provide sub-domains to the local
events , like portland.pgday.org and such

http://pycon.org is a good example of what i'm talking about.

What do you think of it ?

Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
damien clochard wrote:
> Hi !
>
> As a disclaimer : i'm involved in the organization of the next European
> PGday and i'm also webmaster or the pgday.fr site.
>
> i recently asked myself  « how many pgdays (or 'PostgreSQL dedicated
> conferences' ) have been organized in 2008 ? » . My first answer were
> "many" and "more than in 2007" but i couldn't get any numbers easily.
>
> i gave  a sneek peak to others communities, especially Mozilla with
> their "Mozilla Party" (mozillaparty.com) and Python with the Pycon
> conferences (pycon.org), and i think we should have a website or
> something to answer the question : "when is the next PostgreSQL
> conference near me ?". And i think the pgday.org website should do that.
>
> For the moment, the pgday.org site is the home of the European pgday but
> this  website could easily be moved to pgday.eu . That would even make
> more sense. I'm not sure exactly who manages these domains but i guess
> it's kinda possible.

Makes sense.

IIRC it's been registered by the Italians, but they have previously
stated they don't mind handing it off.

> As i see it, this new pgday.org website doesn't have to be shiny and
> flashy. It would be just a web page linking all the forthcoming events (
> UK, brazil, etc... ).

We already have the main website events listing for that. I don't think
I like to see it fragmented.

We have enough different "portals" already, I think. If they're not good
enough, we should make them better instead of just creating another one.

> The pgday.org domain could used to provide sub-domains to the local
> events , like portland.pgday.org and such

That, however, could be a good usage for it.

Another usage could be to actually provide software for the sites, and
not just a pointer. Like pentabarf (if someone can make the damned thing
work - and preferrably also skinned) or something.

//Magnus

Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:04 AM, damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> As a disclaimer : i'm involved in the organization of the next European
> PGday and i'm also webmaster or the pgday.fr site.
>
> i recently asked myself  « how many pgdays (or 'PostgreSQL dedicated
> conferences' ) have been organized in 2008 ? » . My first answer were
> "many" and "more than in 2007" but i couldn't get any numbers easily.

This is a really good point!  I started making another google map for this.

I think we should gather up the events from the last few years.

I made a form quickly:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=p5_j1KSqDSPsmyXP7FIpkLw

I know of quite a few, but it would help to get links collected.  Once
we have the initial list, I would love to at least *put the list*
somewhere on the pgday.org site.

> As i see it, this new pgday.org website doesn't have to be shiny and
> flashy. It would be just a web page linking all the forthcoming events (
> UK, brazil, etc... ).

Maybe we could take a feed of events, filtered for PgDays from the
postgresql.org site?

That way, we get the events onto postgresql.org, which someone just
told me doesn't always happen for PgDays (:O).

> What do you think of it ?

Thanks for bringing this stuff up!!!  I am not sure about the
subdomains at this point - all of the Pg Day organizers have created
their own sites, and I think that's a good thing. We do have a better
way to find these things, but there's great value in just letting
people continue with their home grown efforts for a bit longer.

I'd prefer to focus first on gathering the information together.
pgday.org could evolve into a portal site for the groups.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
Open Source Bridge - http://www.opensourcebridge.org

Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 14:18:37 +0100 Magnus Hagander wrote:

> damien clochard wrote:
> >
> > As i see it, this new pgday.org website doesn't have to be shiny and
> > flashy. It would be just a web page linking all the forthcoming events (
> > UK, brazil, etc... ).
>
> We already have the main website events listing for that. I don't think
> I like to see it fragmented.

The main website lists events, wiki.postgresql.org lists events and
wiki.postgresql.eu also lists all the events. Isn't that enough? ;-)

> We have enough different "portals" already, I think. If they're not good
> enough, we should make them better instead of just creating another one.

+1

> > The pgday.org domain could used to provide sub-domains to the local
> > events , like portland.pgday.org and such
>
> That, however, could be a good usage for it.

Either that or create a wiki page for each event.

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 14:18 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> damien clochard wrote:
> > Hi !
> >

> We already have the main website events listing for that. I don't think
> I like to see it fragmented.
>
> We have enough different "portals" already, I think. If they're not good
> enough, we should make them better instead of just creating another one.

Hmm well the problem with postgresql.org is that it is a cluttered mess.
There is way too much information on the front page. Something like a
pgday that was dedicated to just listing conferences around the world
(especially with a rss feed) would be a welcome addition.

> > The pgday.org domain could used to provide sub-domains to the local
> > events , like portland.pgday.org and such
>
> That, however, could be a good usage for it.

That is interesting. I would pick pgday.org/portland but that is just
me.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
<adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

>> > The pgday.org domain could used to provide sub-domains to the local
>> > events , like portland.pgday.org and such
>>
>> That, however, could be a good usage for it.
>
> Either that or create a wiki page for each event.

We started doing that with conference slides:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/European_PGDay_2008
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQLConferenceWest2008

The EU PgDay format is a bit better :)

There are a couple events on the PUG site that just need to have
materials and links transferred over.

I'll pretty up the PDXPUG one and post it this weekend. I'll reformat
the pgconfwest page too.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
Open Source Bridge - http://www.opensourcebridge.org
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Magnus wrote:
> > We already have the main website events listing for that. I don't think
> > I like to see it fragmented.
> >
> > We have enough different "portals" already, I think. If they're not good
> > enough, we should make them better instead of just creating another one.

+1

> Hmm well the problem with postgresql.org is that it is a cluttered mess.
> There is way too much information on the front page. Something like a
> pgday that was dedicated to just listing conferences around the world
> (especially with a rss feed) would be a welcome addition.

If we were to follow this principle, we should have

pgevents.org    for events
pgdocs.org    for documentation
pglists.org    for mailing lists
pgsupport.org    for commercial support
pgcommunity.org    for community matters
pgversions.org    for listing supported versions

How many raised hands for this proposal?

Some more random ideas:

postgresqlforums.com
postgresqlcertification.org

Oh wait ...

Date:
On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 15:17 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> If we were to follow this principle, we should have
>
> pgevents.org    for events
> pgdocs.org    for documentation
> pglists.org    for mailing lists
> pgsupport.org    for commercial support
> pgcommunity.org    for community matters
> pgversions.org    for listing supported versions

And no, I didn't say that.

> Some more random ideas:
>
> postgresqlforums.com
> postgresqlcertification.org
>
> Oh wait ...

Having a wide, diverse and vibrant community is not a bad thing. The
meglo-community idea is a bad one. Diversity is good.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From
"Emanuel Calvo Franco"
Date:
2009/1/9 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:
> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 15:17 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> If we were to follow this principle, we should have
>>
>> pgevents.org  for events
>> pgdocs.org    for documentation
>> pglists.org   for mailing lists
>> pgsupport.org for commercial support
>> pgcommunity.org       for community matters
>> pgversions.org        for listing supported versions

IMHO I think that pgday.org is not a bad idea, i fact is a more
comercial idea than
'wiki'. Why? Because we know he existence of where is the information, but
some people who use postgres 'just for work' don't really know where is exactly
every little thing i the 'big' domain.

It's true that we must make better the things that already exists, but
is true that
the project grow much more than a few years ago. There is more people involved
and the project need be a little less centralized.

Regards

> And no, I didn't say that.
>
>> Some more random ideas:
>>
>> postgresqlforums.com
>> postgresqlcertification.org
>>
>> Oh wait ...
>
> Having a wide, diverse and vibrant community is not a bad thing. The
> meglo-community idea is a bad one. Diversity is good.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
> PostgreSQL
>   Consulting, Development, Support, Training
>   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
>   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

      Emanuel Calvo Franco
   ArPUG / AOSUG Member
 Postgresql Support & Admin

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 15:17 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > Some more random ideas:
> >
> > postgresqlforums.com
> > postgresqlcertification.org
> >
> > Oh wait ...
>
> Having a wide, diverse and vibrant community is not a bad thing. The
> meglo-community idea is a bad one. Diversity is good.

Diverse does not mean dispersed.

Date:
On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 18:02 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 15:17 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > > Some more random ideas:
> > >
> > > postgresqlforums.com
> > > postgresqlcertification.org
> > >
> > > Oh wait ...
> >
> > Having a wide, diverse and vibrant community is not a bad thing. The
> > meglo-community idea is a bad one. Diversity is good.
>
> Diverse does not mean dispersed.

Not going to argue semantics with you Alvaro. I believe that PostgreSQL
is only stronger by having a wider community net that is not subject to
meglo-.org rules or opinion. I believe the adverse is also true.

So in short, the people doing the work get to make those decisions and
nobody on this list has the right to declare differently. If those
people want to make themselves subject to the .Org community, cool. If
they don't, cool. In the end, PostgreSQL wins regardless.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Friday 09 January 2009 15:04:38 damien clochard wrote:
> i recently asked myself  « how many pgdays (or 'PostgreSQL dedicated
> conferences' ) have been organized in 2008 ? » . My first answer were
> "many" and "more than in 2007" but i couldn't get any numbers easily.

My take on it is that there is only one pgday, just like there is only one
pgcon, both being kind of brand names.  So I would just keep the pgday.org
domain for the European event in the Prato tradition.

Date:
On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 16:22 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Friday 09 January 2009 15:04:38 damien clochard wrote:
> > i recently asked myself  « how many pgdays (or 'PostgreSQL dedicated
> > conferences' ) have been organized in 2008 ? » . My first answer were
> > "many" and "more than in 2007" but i couldn't get any numbers easily.
>
> My take on it is that there is only one pgday, just like there is only one
> pgcon, both being kind of brand names.  So I would just keep the pgday.org
> domain for the European event in the Prato tradition.

PgDay has already been absorbed into OSCON, LWE, LFNW as well as things
like PgDay.FR , etc... PgCon is used fairly liberally as well outside
the inner circle. Such as PgCON EU, PgCON.br. There is even a rumor of
an international PgCon.JP in 2009.

It seems the the terms are not a brand individually but more a collage
of a brand around PostgreSQL itself.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

PGCon brand

From
Dan Langille
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 16:22 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On Friday 09 January 2009 15:04:38 damien clochard wrote:
>>> i recently asked myself  « how many pgdays (or 'PostgreSQL dedicated
>>> conferences' ) have been organized in 2008 ? » . My first answer were
>>> "many" and "more than in 2007" but i couldn't get any numbers easily.
>> My take on it is that there is only one pgday, just like there is only one
>> pgcon, both being kind of brand names.  So I would just keep the pgday.org
>> domain for the European event in the Prato tradition.
>
> PgDay has already been absorbed into OSCON, LWE, LFNW as well as things
> like PgDay.FR , etc... PgCon is used fairly liberally as well outside
> the inner circle. Such as PgCON EU, PgCON.br. There is even a rumor of
> an international PgCon.JP in 2009.

It may be liberally used outside of PGCon, but it is certainly not with
permission or consent.

> It seems the the terms are not a brand individually but more a collage
> of a brand around PostgreSQL itself.

As the owner of pgcon.us, you obviously have a different view in terms
of what is and is not a brand, it is clearly within your interests to
take that viewpoint.

For others not aware: I am the founder of PGCon.

Re: PGCon brand

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 23:21 -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> As the owner of pgcon.us, you obviously have a different view in terms
> of what is and is not a brand, it is clearly within your interests to
> take that viewpoint.

That is certainly true but pgcon.us came about *after* the others. I
would also note that I don't actively use that domain except where
logistically necessary.  I believe you were already sent an email
directly to that effect.

> For others not aware: I am the founder of PGCon.

I don't think anyone is disputing that you originated PGCon.org.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 14:18 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> damien clochard wrote:
>>> Hi !
>>>

>> We already have the main website events listing for that. I don't think
>> I like to see it fragmented.
>>
>> We have enough different "portals" already, I think. If they're not good
>> enough, we should make them better instead of just creating another one.
>>

> Hmm well the problem with postgresql.org is that it is a cluttered mess.

So, where's your suggestion for how to fix that?

//Magnus

Re: PGCon brand

From
Melanie
Date:
does that mean we can register commandprompt.nc and you wouldn't have a
problem with it?  Seems like a lack of imagination to me.  If you try to
do microsoft.us, I can promise you that you'd find your butt in court
real fast.

Date:
On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 15:03 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >>>

> >> We already have the main website events listing for that. I don't think
> >> I like to see it fragmented.
> >>
> >> We have enough different "portals" already, I think. If they're not good
> >> enough, we should make them better instead of just creating another one.
> >>

> > Hmm well the problem with postgresql.org is that it is a cluttered mess.
>
> So, where's your suggestion for how to fix that?

I actually didn't post it here because I didn't want to hijack the
thread. That is a discussion better left for -www isn't it?

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 10:23 -0500, Melanie wrote:
> does that mean we can register commandprompt.nc and you wouldn't have a
> problem with it?

*shrug* I don't own commandprompt.org either but that isn't really
relevant.

>   Seems like a lack of imagination to me.  If you try to
> do microsoft.us, I can promise you that you'd find your butt in court
> real fast.

One has nothing to do with the other.

I run Pg Conference or Pg Conference, U.S. Yes I do have pgcon.us which
I use when logistically necessary (if I am limited on character length).
Otherwise the conference domain is postgresqlconference.org. I also do
try to make sure I don't use the PgCon name. So let's not put any of
this off on me.

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>>   Seems like a lack of imagination to me.  If you try to
>> do microsoft.us, I can promise you that you'd find your butt in court
>> real fast.
>
> One has nothing to do with the other.
>
> I run Pg Conference or Pg Conference, U.S. Yes I do have pgcon.us which
> I use when logistically necessary (if I am limited on character length).

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of URL shorteners. Here are a few
to get you started: moourl.com, is.gd, tr.im and bacn.me. There is no
need for you to use pgcon.us for *practical* reasons.

> Otherwise the conference domain is postgresqlconference.org. I also do
> try to make sure I don't use the PgCon name. So let's not put any of
> this off on me.

You have been asked not to use pgcon.us, and yet you continue to use it anyway.

Why is that, JD?

-selena

--

Date:
On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 09:43 -0800, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> > Otherwise the conference domain is postgresqlconference.org. I also do
> > try to make sure I don't use the PgCon name. So let's not put any of
> > this off on me.
>
> You have been asked not to use pgcon.us, and yet you continue to use it anyway.
>
> Why is that, JD?

I believe I have fully explained my reasoning.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: PGCon brand

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:00:36AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 09:43 -0800, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > > Otherwise the conference domain is postgresqlconference.org. I
> > > also do try to make sure I don't use the PgCon name. So let's
> > > not put any of this off on me.
> >
> > You have been asked not to use pgcon.us, and yet you continue to
> > use it anyway.
> >
> > Why is that, JD?
> >

> I believe I have fully explained my reasoning.

Nobody else believes that, though, especially the person who built and
continues to maintain the PgCon brand.

Joshua, you're wrong on this one, and you should transfer any pgcon
domains you or your associates are holding to Dan Langille.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: PGCon brand

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi Dan,

On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 23:21 -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> For others not aware: I am the founder of PGCon.

Just wondering: Is PGCon an officially registered name, or a trade mark,
or such? Does it have a patent?

If not, I may have other questions.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
A PostgreSQL community member

Attachment

Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> My take on it is that there is only one pgday, just like there is only one
> pgcon, both being kind of brand names.  So I would just keep the pgday.org
> domain for the European event in the Prato tradition.

I don't know that this is a good idea.  There's already been "pgDays" in
Brazil, Prague, China, Argentina and the US.  I don't think it really
benefits the community to suddenly declare pgDay.IT to be the only one
and force all the other mini-conferences to seek new names.  That seems
hostile and controlling.

For that matter, I haven't heard Gabriele or Federico complain about the
use of the name.

I think exercising some belated brand control over the name pgDay might
be apt ... that is, we might want to declare that the name "pgDay" is
only to be used for non-profit, local community-run conferences, and
only allow pgDay.org to list conferences which qualify this way.

But the PostgreSQL has never been about telling people *how* to
participate in the community.  We shouldn't start now.

--Josh

Re: PGCon brand

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Personally, I only see one real problem of brand confusion with pgCon,
and that's pgCon.us.  I don't think that JD really wants to be confused
with Dan, or vice-versa, so using the same name is counterproductive.

Nobody is going to think that pgCon.BR has anything to do with Dan
Langille, but if East started being called pgCon.US East it could cause
some serious confusion for sponsors, attendees and speakers.  So I think
it benefits *both* conferences to use distinctively different names.

--Josh

Date:
2009/1/11 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:
> Peter,
>
>> My take on it is that there is only one pgday, just like there is only one
>> pgcon, both being kind of brand names.  So I would just keep the pgday.org
>> domain for the European event in the Prato tradition.
>
> I don't know that this is a good idea.  There's already been "pgDays" in
> Brazil, Prague, China, Argentina and the US.  I don't think it really
> benefits the community to suddenly declare pgDay.IT to be the only one and
> force all the other mini-conferences to seek new names.  That seems hostile
> and controlling.
>
> For that matter, I haven't heard Gabriele or Federico complain about the use
> of the name.
>
> I think exercising some belated brand control over the name pgDay might be
> apt ... that is, we might want to declare that the name "pgDay" is only to
> be used for non-profit, local community-run conferences, and only allow
> pgDay.org to list conferences which qualify this way.

+1

> But the PostgreSQL has never been about telling people *how* to participate
> in the community.  We shouldn't start now.
>
> --Josh

IMHO pgdays can occur more than once by year. Pgcon must occur one per year.
PGdays must be community meetings to organizate the internal projects. Pgconf
must add other communitys and can be more enterprise level for those
who are interested
in that way.

      Emanuel Calvo Franco
   ArPUG / AOSUG Member
 Postgresql Support & Admin

Re: PGCon brand

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Sunday 11 January 2009 15:15:43 Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Personally, I only see one real problem of brand confusion with pgCon,
> and that's pgCon.us.  I don't think that JD really wants to be confused
> with Dan, or vice-versa, so using the same name is counterproductive.
>
> Nobody is going to think that pgCon.BR has anything to do with Dan
> Langille, but if East started being called pgCon.US East it could cause
> some serious confusion for sponsors, attendees and speakers.  So I think
> it benefits *both* conferences to use distinctively different names.

I agree, though I've always wondered if a better solution would be for Dan to
rename his conference as PGCan (which is a play on BSDCan, his other
conference, and would provide even more brand identity).  Even before there
was a pgcon.us, people confused pgcon and postgresqlconference, because pgcon
is the "natural" shortnening of the longer name.  If Dan did make that
switch, pgcon.org could be a generic site for any/all postgres conferences,
and pgcan.org could be the conference specific site. I'd guess with apache
rewrite magic, we might be able to keep url breakage to a minimum.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

Re: PGCon brand

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> I agree, though I've always wondered if a better solution would be for Dan to
> rename his conference as PGCan (which is a play on BSDCan, his other
> conference, and would provide even more brand identity).

Well, right now, pgCon is the primary conference for PostgreSQL hackers.
  Renaming it to pgCan would be tantamount to giving up that status.
That's not an issue with BSDCan because there's no significant BSD US
conference.

--Josh

Re: PGCon brand

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 12 January 2009 14:10:40 Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > I agree, though I've always wondered if a better solution would be for
> > Dan to rename his conference as PGCan (which is a play on BSDCan, his
> > other conference, and would provide even more brand identity).
>
> Well, right now, pgCon is the primary conference for PostgreSQL hackers.
>   Renaming it to pgCan would be tantamount to giving up that status.

Why? It didn't get that status because of the name of the thing. If you
recall, the first developers meeting was called something like "the postgres
annivesary summit".  There are other factors in play. And really -hackers are
not the ones confused by all this, as they're fairly well connected, so a
switch to BSDCan shouldn't lead to much disruption for them, while making
things clearer for others.