Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Emanuel Calvo Franco
Subject Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
2009/1/11 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:
> Peter,
>
>> My take on it is that there is only one pgday, just like there is only one
>> pgcon, both being kind of brand names.  So I would just keep the pgday.org
>> domain for the European event in the Prato tradition.
>
> I don't know that this is a good idea.  There's already been "pgDays" in
> Brazil, Prague, China, Argentina and the US.  I don't think it really
> benefits the community to suddenly declare pgDay.IT to be the only one and
> force all the other mini-conferences to seek new names.  That seems hostile
> and controlling.
>
> For that matter, I haven't heard Gabriele or Federico complain about the use
> of the name.
>
> I think exercising some belated brand control over the name pgDay might be
> apt ... that is, we might want to declare that the name "pgDay" is only to
> be used for non-profit, local community-run conferences, and only allow
> pgDay.org to list conferences which qualify this way.

+1

> But the PostgreSQL has never been about telling people *how* to participate
> in the community.  We shouldn't start now.
>
> --Josh

IMHO pgdays can occur more than once by year. Pgcon must occur one per year.
PGdays must be community meetings to organizate the internal projects. Pgconf
must add other communitys and can be more enterprise level for those
who are interested
in that way.