Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Selena Deckelmann
Subject Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:04 AM, damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> As a disclaimer : i'm involved in the organization of the next European
> PGday and i'm also webmaster or the pgday.fr site.
>
> i recently asked myself  « how many pgdays (or 'PostgreSQL dedicated
> conferences' ) have been organized in 2008 ? » . My first answer were
> "many" and "more than in 2007" but i couldn't get any numbers easily.

This is a really good point!  I started making another google map for this.

I think we should gather up the events from the last few years.

I made a form quickly:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=p5_j1KSqDSPsmyXP7FIpkLw

I know of quite a few, but it would help to get links collected.  Once
we have the initial list, I would love to at least *put the list*
somewhere on the pgday.org site.

> As i see it, this new pgday.org website doesn't have to be shiny and
> flashy. It would be just a web page linking all the forthcoming events (
> UK, brazil, etc... ).

Maybe we could take a feed of events, filtered for PgDays from the
postgresql.org site?

That way, we get the events onto postgresql.org, which someone just
told me doesn't always happen for PgDays (:O).

> What do you think of it ?

Thanks for bringing this stuff up!!!  I am not sure about the
subdomains at this point - all of the Pg Day organizers have created
their own sites, and I think that's a good thing. We do have a better
way to find these things, but there's great value in just letting
people continue with their home grown efforts for a bit longer.

I'd prefer to focus first on gathering the information together.
pgday.org could evolve into a portal site for the groups.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
Open Source Bridge - http://www.opensourcebridge.org