Re: 9.0 ? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: 9.0 ?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus a écrit :
> All,
>
>> Perhaps we should also adopt an ubuntu-like strategy of naming the
>> releases.  That'll give people the impression of major version changes
>> instead of the number.  For example, perhaps the next version could be
>> code named "Cornucopious Core" or something ;-)   Kind of like "Hardy
>> Heron", or "Dapper Dan" .  I think today people tend to refer to the
>
> Gods forfend!
>
> Not that you were serious, but I actually rank the Ubuntu release naming
> scheme as "experimental failure" (kind of like "Postgres95"), and wish
> Ubuntu would go back to naming the releases after the date, or just use
> numbers like everyone else.  I'm forever trying to remember whether the
> current release is "Dapper Dalmation" or "Stellar Sparrow" or "Woody
> Woodpecker" or "Moose & Squirrel".  And don't get me started on Apple
> and their releases of OSX "Ocelot" and "Caracal".  It's a release naming
> scheme which caters exclusively to insiders.

Every naming scheme is only understandable by insiders. After apart from
debian fanboys, who can tell where "etch" and "sarge" names come from ?
It's strictly the same thing with version number, except us, who can say
what were the differences between the 8.0 and the 8.1 :-)

The only advantage of release naming is that it's more fun than numbers.

how about "Elegant Elephant" ? "Persistent Pachyderm" ? "Marvelous
Mastodont" ? :o)