Booth Swag

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

I think for the rest of 2008 we need to discuss what stuff *in all* we want
in our booths.  Then we can budget *specific* items.

High-Value Giveaways:
(stuff to give people we actually have significant conversations with)
    Folders w/ vendor info
    USB sticks??

Low-Value Giveaways:
(stuff to give to the hoi-polloi whom we don't have time to talk to;
primarily just for trade shows)
    ???

Information Sheets
(stuff for people to find out about PostgreSQL)
    What Is PostgreSQL? Flyer -- 1 page
    Topical Flyer (depends on timing)
    4-page brochure (don't really want to hand these out casually, do we?)
    Case Studies -- TBA
    "Info cards": business cards with generic e-mail, download info

Donation Swag
(stuff to use to solicit donations)
    T-shirts
    Enamel Pins
    Stickers??
    Blue Elephants?? (need to find cheaper source)
    USB sticks??

Signs
    New Large Banner
    Pop-up display (need to purchase soon)

Other stuff
    Brochure holder (need to buy)
    Donation Box

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Low-Value Giveaways:
> (stuff to give to the hoi-polloi whom we don't have time to talk to;
> primarily just for trade shows)
>        ???

STICKERS!  I'm thinking glossy laptop stickers in various sizes with
the elephant on them.  I made some for LFNW and they were a hit.

> Information Sheets
> (stuff for people to find out about PostgreSQL)
>        What Is PostgreSQL? Flyer -- 1 page
>        Topical Flyer (depends on timing)
>        4-page brochure (don't really want to hand these out casually, do we?)
>        Case Studies -- TBA
>        "Info cards": business cards with generic e-mail, download info

* 1/4-page fliers for Wednesday indicating when/where the Pg BoF will be
* Business card with PUGs website on front, list of places with PUGs on the back

> Signs
>        New Large Banner
>        Pop-up display (need to purchase soon)

* I also have an idea for a poster-size printout of the
table-of-elements, but that has PUGs, Conferences, Features and People
on it.

> Other stuff
>        Brochure holder (need to buy)
>        Donation Box

* Would also be nice to have a rolling container of some kind to hold
all this stuff!

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us

Re: Booth Swag

From
gabrielle
Date:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> High-Value Giveaways:
> (stuff to give people we actually have significant conversations with)
>        Folders w/ vendor info
>        USB sticks??

I am really into the USB sticks as a way to distribute the latest version.

If we decide to burn CDs again, I suggest that the URL to grab the
latest version be printed on the CD. :)

> Low-Value Giveaways:
> (stuff to give to the hoi-polloi whom we don't have time to talk to;
> primarily just for trade shows)
>        ???
> Donation Swag
> (stuff to use to solicit donations)
>        T-shirts
>        Enamel Pins
>        Stickers??
>        Blue Elephants?? (need to find cheaper source)
>        USB sticks??

I'm not sure where all of this should go (free or whatever), but here
are some ideas:
- stickers.  These were a big hit at LFNW.
- temporary tattoos
- more of the bags; people really appreciated something to put all
their *other* schwag in.
- mugs
- pens (good ones...I hate trying to write with a sucky pen.)

> Information Sheets
> (stuff for people to find out about PostgreSQL)
>        What Is PostgreSQL? Flyer -- 1 page
>        Topical Flyer (depends on timing)
>        4-page brochure (don't really want to hand these out casually, do we?)
>        Case Studies -- TBA
>        "Info cards": business cards with generic e-mail, download info

- business cards for the local PUG (group URL, meeting date)
- flyer: list of all PostgreSQL-related talks at that conference
- flyer: new features in latest version
- flyer: "talking points" PostgreSQL vs MySQL
- flyer: "what to tell your bosses when they want to use MySQL"
- flyer: a tutorial of how to install & get temp database up (we were
asked for that several times at LFNW...would be neat if we had a
printed sheet.)

> Signs
>        New Large Banner
>        Pop-up display (need to purchase soon)

Oooh, one of the rollup ones?  Those are nice.

> Other stuff
>        Brochure holder (need to buy)
>        Donation Box

I intend to purchase a locking cashbox to bring to OSCON.

gabrielle

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 17:16 -0700, gabrielle wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > High-Value Giveaways:
> > (stuff to give people we actually have significant conversations with)
> >        Folders w/ vendor info
> >        USB sticks??

> I'm not sure where all of this should go (free or whatever), but here
> are some ideas:
> - stickers.  These were a big hit at LFNW.
> - temporary tattoos
> - more of the bags; people really appreciated something to put all
> their *other* schwag in.

We have (or will have just based on our standard distribution):

Bags
Folders
Brochure
Flyers
Partner Brochures
T-Shirts

I like the idea of Tattoos (silly but fun)

Sincerely,

Joshau D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Santiago Zarate"
Date:
many people use caps... and like parches for their backpacks and stuff (Like me)

2008/6/11 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:

> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 17:16 -0700, gabrielle wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> > High-Value Giveaways:
>> > (stuff to give people we actually have significant conversations with)
>> >        Folders w/ vendor info
>> >        USB sticks??
>
>> I'm not sure where all of this should go (free or whatever), but here
>> are some ideas:
>> - stickers.  These were a big hit at LFNW.
>> - temporary tattoos
>> - more of the bags; people really appreciated something to put all
>> their *other* schwag in.
>
> We have (or will have just based on our standard distribution):
>
> Bags
> Folders
> Brochure
> Flyers
> Partner Brochures
> T-Shirts
>
> I like the idea of Tattoos (silly but fun)
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshau D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Michael Alan Brewer"
Date:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Selena Deckelmann
<selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> STICKERS!  I'm thinking glossy laptop stickers in various sizes with
> the elephant on them.  I made some for LFNW and they were a hit.

I'd love to see oval, Euro-style stickers with either "PG", "PgSQL",
or "psql" on them;  those, plus temporary tattoos of our elephant logo
should work.

(I'm also teaching myself how to make balloon elephants, in case I get
to work booth duty. ;) )

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Re: Booth Swag

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Ciao Josh,

Josh Berkus ha scritto:
>     T-shirts

Yes. We have pretty much finished last year's t-shirts. As soon as we
start the sponsorship campaign for PGDay (it is taking longer than
expected to review the contract), depending on budget ITPUG will
evaluate the chance to make a few t-shirts:

1) a standard blue t-shirt (maybe a slightly better quality)
2) a standard white t-shirt for female (like last year)
3) a black one for us "nerds" :)

We could evaluate also to get polo shirts.

>     Stickers??

ITPUG just made 2k stickers. They are really cool. We sent a few of them
in Greece.

> Other stuff
>     Brochure holder (need to buy)

Yes. That is one. I believe that if we get somebody to design it, we
could print several of copies here n Italy for PGDay and then reuse them
for the European Group. It is just that until we start getting sponsors,
we can't decide.

>     Donation Box

Exactly. I wanted so much a donation box in the shape of an elephant!

In terms of flyers, I believe a MySQL to PostgreSQL flyer would be very
useful.

Ciao,
Gabriele

--
Gabriele Bartolini: Open source programmer and data architect
Current Location: Prato, Tuscany, Italy

Re: Booth Swag

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Ciao Gabrielle,

> - mugs

Yes. Definitely.

> - pens (good ones...I hate trying to write with a sucky pen.)

We have a stock for PGDay here already. The blue pens that we organised
for PGDay last year and that ITPUG made in February (a few hundreds were
brought at FOSDEM).

> - flyer: "talking points" PostgreSQL vs MySQL

Yes - more in a way to explain the differences (objectively) rather than
put it in a "fight situation".

Ciao,
Gabriele

--

Date:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Michael Alan Brewer <mbrewer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd love to see oval, Euro-style stickers with either "PG", "PgSQL",
> or "psql" on them;  those, plus temporary tattoos of our elephant logo
> should work.

Ooh, I like that sticker idea.  We had elephant logo stickers at LFNW.

> (I'm also teaching myself how to make balloon elephants, in case I get
> to work booth duty. ;) )

Love it!  If you're making balloon elephants you'll "get" to do booth
duty, all right. ;)

gabrielle

Re: Booth Swag

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

> > (I'm also teaching myself how to make balloon elephants, in case I get
> > to work booth duty. ;) )
>
> Love it!  If you're making balloon elephants you'll "get" to do booth
> duty, all right. ;)

Heh.  My wife did a "blue elephant" cupcake, which is terrific.  Problem is,
each cupcake takes 20min to make.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Booth Swag

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 17:16 -0700, gabrielle wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> High-Value Giveaways:
>>> (stuff to give people we actually have significant conversations with)
>>>        Folders w/ vendor info
>>>        USB sticks??
>>>

>> I'm not sure where all of this should go (free or whatever), but here
>> are some ideas:
>> - stickers.  These were a big hit at LFNW.
>> - temporary tattoos
>> - more of the bags; people really appreciated something to put all
>> their *other* schwag in.
>>

> We have (or will have just based on our standard distribution):
>
> Bags
> Folders
> Brochure
> Flyers
> Partner Brochures
> T-Shirts
>
> I like the idea of Tattoos (silly but fun)

+1 , they run about 8 cents apiece for custom ones. (1.5"x1.5")...so
like $80 for 1000 of 'em .

chander

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshau D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 11/06/2008 15:02, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Heh.  My wife did a "blue elephant" cupcake, which is terrific.  Problem is,
> each cupcake takes 20min to make.

Cool! Any chance of a photo? - even with a bite or two out of it... :-)

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Booth Swag

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Ray,

> Cool! Any chance of a photo? - even with a bite or two out of it... :-)

Unfortuntately, the photo didn't come out.  So we need to make another one.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 10:47 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

Hello,

I have ordered the folders. We should have enough to get through this
year easily.

I know the flyers are also on their way.

It looks like pen drives are the order of the day yes?

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> It looks like pen drives are the order of the day yes?

I think so.  The CDs are actually a hit (especially at LinuxWorld), but I
agree that people may not use them that much.

How many pen drives can we afford?  I'm thinking of the LWE pgDay.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 15:36 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> > It looks like pen drives are the order of the day yes?
>
> I think so.  The CDs are actually a hit (especially at LinuxWorld), but I
> agree that people may not use them that much.
>
> How many pen drives can we afford?  I'm thinking of the LWE pgDay.

To get us to the end of the year, and if we are selective about giving
them out, 500 should get us through OSCON/LWE/WEST/LISA. It will be
about 2500.00 or so (depending on art stamp). I will make some calls. I
see no reason why we wouldn't be able to generate much more than that in
donations though, so I am o.k. with the expense.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> To get us to the end of the year, and if we are selective about giving
> them out, 500 should get us through OSCON/LWE/WEST/LISA. It will be
> about 2500.00 or so (depending on art stamp). I will make some calls. I
> see no reason why we wouldn't be able to generate much more than that in
> donations though, so I am o.k. with the expense.

Actually, I don't think that the USB sticks will generate much donation
revenue that we wouldn't have already gotten through pins and t-shirts.  I'd
say an extra $100 per conference, tops.

That doesn't mean they're not worth it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 09:58 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,

> Actually, I don't think that the USB sticks will generate much donation
> revenue that we wouldn't have already gotten through pins and t-shirts.  I'd
> say an extra $100 per conference, tops.

> That doesn't mean they're not worth it.

Hmm to me it does. At least in comparison to other things. If we really
think we can't get good donations for USB sticks, I question the
expense. Especially when (as you say and are correct) we already
generate good donations, and feedback from other less expensive but
equally useful items.

For example, it may make more sense to get some collared shirts instead.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco

Re: Booth Swag

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Ciao Joshua,

Joshua D. Drake ha scritto:
> expense. Especially when (as you say and are correct) we already
> generate good donations, and feedback from other less expensive but
> equally useful items.

It depends on how much they cost to us. I have no clue. In general
though, I personally find things like stickers and pins the ones that
have a bigger return (easily more than 1000% of the expense). Shirts are
not bad, as we can get easily at least 150%-200% of the expense.

> For example, it may make more sense to get some collared shirts instead.

I agree. We could differentiate the offer.

Ciao,
Gabriele

--

Date:
Josh,

> Hmm to me it does. At least in comparison to other things. If we really
> think we can't get good donations for USB sticks, I question the
> expense. Especially when (as you say and are correct) we already
> generate good donations, and feedback from other less expensive but
> equally useful items.

Well, then we're back to CDs, yes?  Since we are a free software project, we
really do want to hand out a "copy" of PostgreSQL.  At trade shows
(LinuxWorld, LinuxTag, LISA, etc.) this is one of the things which
distinguishes us from the commercial software vendors; they won't give away
their software, we will.

As for the donations, I don't think we realistically can raise more than about
$350 per trade show booth from all sources without merchandising becoming the
main focus of our booth.  Debian does that, and I don't think it's something
we should emulate.

If we're going to add anything to the booth for $$$, I think we should
consider the plushy elephants.  That's a higher-end item, and can inspire
people to give us $30-$40 for an elephant instead of $20 for a t-shirt, which
would increase total giving.

I also think we should make a wholesale distribution arrangement with a
publisher (APress?) for PostgreSQL books.  Robert, whom should I talk to at
APress?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 19:30 +0200, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Ciao Joshua,
>
> Joshua D. Drake ha scritto:
> > expense. Especially when (as you say and are correct) we already
> > generate good donations, and feedback from other less expensive but
> > equally useful items.
>
> It depends on how much they cost to us.

Well it isn't even that honestly. The cost is less than 3k USD which is
not a big deal. The question is value to the customer. Consider that I
can purchase a 4GB pen drive for for <20.00 USD. Why do I want a 1GB
model? Because it has a cute elephant on it?

Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a positive direction in
comparison to using CDs. I seriously think we need to completely dump
handing out CDs. They are wasteful and *anyone* who is going to pick one
up at OSCON or LWE or any other US show, has broadband.

In comparison the stickers, which are approximately the same cost as the
CDs would be, will be seen all over the place. People will put that on
notebooks, monitors, laptops etc... That is branding that is worth a lot
more than a little pen drive.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 10:37 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> > Hmm to me it does. At least in comparison to other things. If we really
> > think we can't get good donations for USB sticks, I question the
> > expense. Especially when (as you say and are correct) we already
> > generate good donations, and feedback from other less expensive but
> > equally useful items.
>
> Well, then we're back to CDs, yes?  Since we are a free software project, we
> really do want to hand out a "copy" of PostgreSQL.

Well, no we really don't :). Frankly I would rather hand out a copy of
Ubuntu, which Canonical will give us for free and say, just type apt-get
install postgresql-8.3 pgadmin3 and go to this URL.

>   At trade shows
> (LinuxWorld, LinuxTag, LISA, etc.) this is one of the things which
> distinguishes us from the commercial software vendors; they won't give away
> their software, we will.

No it doesn't, if there is a software vendor there, I can get their
software on a nice little CD or DVD. Including our primary competition,
Oracle.

> As for the donations, I don't think we realistically can raise more than about
> $350 per trade show booth from all sources without merchandising becoming the
> main focus of our booth.  Debian does that, and I don't think it's something
> we should emulate.

We raised more than that at SCALE, and OSCON last year.

> If we're going to add anything to the booth for $$$, I think we should
> consider the plushy elephants.  That's a higher-end item, and can inspire
> people to give us $30-$40 for an elephant instead of $20 for a t-shirt, which
> would increase total giving.

A shirt is more useful than a plushy elephant and cost about the same.

> I also think we should make a wholesale distribution arrangement with a
> publisher (APress?) for PostgreSQL books.  Robert, whom should I talk to at
> APress?

Well we could just use Ingram for that and then avoid dealing with
publishers directly as a whole.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Well it isn't even that honestly. The cost is less than 3k USD which is
> not a big deal. The question is value to the customer. Consider that I
> can purchase a 4GB pen drive for for <20.00 USD. Why do I want a 1GB
> model? Because it has a cute elephant on it?

Also, at trade shows, some commercial vendors will be handing out 256MB pen
drives for a free registration.

> Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a positive direction in
> comparison to using CDs. I seriously think we need to completely dump
> handing out CDs. They are wasteful and *anyone* who is going to pick one
> up at OSCON or LWE or any other US show, has broadband.

Thing is, the CDs have symbolic value.  They say "This is truly free software,
here's a full-feature copy which you can use for any purpose."  Again, I
think this is a difference for commercial as opposed to OSS conferences; I
also see less value in CDs at OSCON, FOSDEM, and other pure-OSS conferences
where people know how to download stuff.

The other reason we started doing the "live CDs" was because one of the
(unjustified) complaints about PostgreSQL was that it was hard to install &
set up.  Having a "live demo" which people could boot and play with was a
refutation of that.  That perception still exists, and I haven't heard a
better way of addressing it.

Also, some people *do* pass along CDs to friends who don't have broadband.

> In comparison the stickers, which are approximately the same cost as the
> CDs would be, will be seen all over the place. People will put that on
> notebooks, monitors, laptops etc... That is branding that is worth a lot
> more than a little pen drive.

+1 on stickers.  I think there is no question there.  I especially want an
elephant which masks the little "apple" on my MacBook and lights up.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Richard Broersma"
Date:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Hmm to me it does. At least in comparison to other things. If we really
> think we can't get good donations for USB sticks, I question the
> expense. Especially when (as you say and are correct) we already
> generate good donations, and feedback from other less expensive but
> equally useful items.
>
> For example, it may make more sense to get some collared shirts instead.

Put me down for 5 collared shirts.  Who do I make the check out to? ;)
 If there are different color shirts, I would buy more so that I could
accessorize my wardrobe. :)

Richard Broersma Jr.

Visit the Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> +1 on stickers.  I think there is no question there.  I especially want an
> elephant which masks the little "apple" on my MacBook and lights up.

Will do!  I'm going for glossy, blue and pink, small and big.  The
JPUG folks had the right idea with their stickers.  I take some to
share with me everywhere, and usually get 3-4 people to put them on
their laptops.

A taste of the silliness that is to come: http://skitch.com/selena/pt1p/photo-49

We'll get some higher-res photos that don't require annotation in the future :)

-selena

--

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 10:51 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> > Well it isn't even that honestly. The cost is less than 3k USD which is
> > not a big deal. The question is value to the customer. Consider that I
> > can purchase a 4GB pen drive for for <20.00 USD. Why do I want a 1GB
> > model? Because it has a cute elephant on it?
>
> Also, at trade shows, some commercial vendors will be handing out 256MB pen
> drives for a free registration.
>
> > Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a positive direction in
> > comparison to using CDs. I seriously think we need to completely dump
> > handing out CDs. They are wasteful and *anyone* who is going to pick one
> > up at OSCON or LWE or any other US show, has broadband.
>
> Thing is, the CDs have symbolic value.  They say "This is truly free software,
> here's a full-feature copy which you can use for any purpose."

Sure, I don't disagree that it has symbolic value. It certainly has
historical precedence as well. However one of the arguments of open
source is sustainability. Are we being sustainable by handing these out?
Further driving innovation (such as the world's most advanced open
source database)?

O.k. its a little Dirty Hippy, but come one, this is consumerism and
waste at its finest. There is very little if any capital value to the
CDs.

>   Again, I
> think this is a difference for commercial as opposed to OSS conferences; I
> also see less value in CDs at OSCON, FOSDEM, and other pure-OSS conferences
> where people know how to download stuff.

You lost me on this one... do we attend any commercial conferences?

> The other reason we started doing the "live CDs" was because one of the
> (unjustified) complaints about PostgreSQL was that it was hard to install &
> set up.  Having a "live demo" which people could boot and play with was a
> refutation of that.  That perception still exists, and I haven't heard a
> better way of addressing it.

Sure, and I am not suggesting stopping work on live versions. I am
suggesting not distributing them for the sake of distributing them.
Let's hand them a gorgeous business card that has links to the ISO image
as well various useful sites (like pg.org :P).

> Also, some people *do* pass along CDs to friends who don't have broadband.

*some* who would also probably do so anyway, if they had an immediate
download link, possibly even at the show.

> > In comparison the stickers, which are approximately the same cost as the
> > CDs would be, will be seen all over the place. People will put that on
> > notebooks, monitors, laptops etc... That is branding that is worth a lot
> > more than a little pen drive.
>
> +1 on stickers.  I think there is no question there.  I especially want an
> elephant which masks the little "apple" on my MacBook and lights up.

Right, this isn't really about whether or not to have stickers, that is
a done deal.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 11:03 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> > +1 on stickers.  I think there is no question there.  I especially want an
> > elephant which masks the little "apple" on my MacBook and lights up.
>
> Will do!  I'm going for glossy, blue and pink, small and big.  The
> JPUG folks had the right idea with their stickers.  I take some to
> share with me everywhere, and usually get 3-4 people to put them on
> their laptops.

The stickers I am currently evaluating are an oval, 2x3, Gradient blue
(like the sign) with the Elephant and PostgreSQL.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 11:03 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>> > +1 on stickers.  I think there is no question there.  I especially want an
>> > elephant which masks the little "apple" on my MacBook and lights up.
>>
>> Will do!  I'm going for glossy, blue and pink, small and big.  The
>> JPUG folks had the right idea with their stickers.  I take some to
>> share with me everywhere, and usually get 3-4 people to put them on
>> their laptops.
>
> The stickers I am currently evaluating are an oval, 2x3, Gradient blue
> (like the sign) with the Elephant and PostgreSQL.

That's cool.  I'm sure there's room in the world for multiple stickers!

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Michael Alan Brewer"
Date:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Richard Broersma
<richard.broersma@gmail.com> wrote:

> Put me down for 5 collared shirts.  Who do I make the check out to? ;)
>  If there are different color shirts, I would buy more so that I could
> accessorize my wardrobe. :)

+1 (XL).  ;)

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Re: Booth Swag

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Josh Berkus wrote:

> I especially want an elephant which masks the little "apple" on my
> MacBook and lights up.

That might be the final straw that gets me to buy a Mac, if those come
out.  One of the things I hate about the MacBook is how it advertises
itself that way; a glowing elephant instead I'd be cool with.  The MacBook
I just measured has a 1.5x2" Apple, so the 2x3" oval stickers Joshua
mentioned should suffice.

As far as attracting donations, would it make sense to have some sort of
tiered structure to provide suggestions to people?  I know I feel more
comfortable in that sort of situation if there's donation guidelines like
"$10 or more gets you a USB key, $20 or more a T-shirt", etc.

Re: Booth Swag

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On June 12, 2008 01:37:02 pm Josh Berkus wrote:
> I also think we should make a wholesale distribution arrangement with a
> publisher (APress?) for PostgreSQL books.  Robert, whom should I talk to at
> APress?

Assuming you're talking to me, it's been awhile since I last spoke to somebody
to APress howevever, FYI: the No Starch Press editor is Bill Pollock.

Robert

Re: Booth Swag

From
Aidan Van Dyk
Date:
* Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> [080601 00:00]:

> The other reason we started doing the "live CDs" was because one of the
> (unjustified) complaints about PostgreSQL was that it was hard to install &
> set up.  Having a "live demo" which people could boot and play with was a
> refutation of that.  That perception still exists, and I haven't heard a
> better way of addressing it.

How about a VMWare/Xen/whatever virtual image that people can run which
is persistant.

Bonus points if it's got iSCSI support in it's kernel, a simple way to
add LUNs.  People/organizations might actually *use* it if the VM image
"works", and they can just simple add a LUN to it instead of having to
actually build a server and install it.

And NBD/DRBD/etc ready to do go as well..

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,

Re: Booth Swag

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On Thursday 12 June 2008 11:36, Robert Bernier wrote:
> On June 12, 2008 01:37:02 pm Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I also think we should make a wholesale distribution arrangement with
> > a publisher (APress?) for PostgreSQL books.  Robert, whom should I
> > talk to at APress?
>
> Assuming you're talking to me, it's been awhile since I last spoke to
> somebody to APress howevever, FYI: the No Starch Press editor is Bill
> Pollock.

No, I was talkign to Treat, who has books with Apress.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Booth Swag

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:18:39AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 09:58 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Josh,
>
> > Actually, I don't think that the USB sticks will generate much donation
> > revenue that we wouldn't have already gotten through pins and t-shirts.  I'd
> > say an extra $100 per conference, tops.
>
> > That doesn't mean they're not worth it.
> >

> Hmm to me it does. At least in comparison to other things. If we
> really think we can't get good donations for USB sticks, I question
> the expense. Especially when (as you say and are correct) we already
> generate good donations, and feedback from other less expensive but
> equally useful items.
>
> For example, it may make more sense to get some collared shirts
> instead.

Polos or Oxfords?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 19:44 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:18:39AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Hmm to me it does. At least in comparison to other things. If we
> > really think we can't get good donations for USB sticks, I question
> > the expense. Especially when (as you say and are correct) we already
> > generate good donations, and feedback from other less expensive but
> > equally useful items.
> >
> > For example, it may make more sense to get some collared shirts
> > instead.
>
> Polos or Oxfords?

Polos. Would you want an Oxford?

Joshua D. Drake

> Cheers,
> David.

Re: Booth Swag

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 07:52:54PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 19:44 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:18:39AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > > Hmm to me it does. At least in comparison to other things. If we
> > > really think we can't get good donations for USB sticks, I question
> > > the expense. Especially when (as you say and are correct) we already
> > > generate good donations, and feedback from other less expensive but
> > > equally useful items.
> > >
> > > For example, it may make more sense to get some collared shirts
> > > instead.
> >
> > Polos or Oxfords?
>
> Polos. Would you want an Oxford?

Sure, with a stitched elephant. :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 19:58 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 07:52:54PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 19:44 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > > Polos or Oxfords?
> >
> > Polos. Would you want an Oxford?
>
> Sure, with a stitched elephant. :)

They will both be embroidered. Huh, I never thought of Oxfords.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 12 June 2008 22:44:59 David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:18:39AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 09:58 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Josh,
> > >
> > > Actually, I don't think that the USB sticks will generate much donation
> > > revenue that we wouldn't have already gotten through pins and t-shirts.
> > >  I'd say an extra $100 per conference, tops.
> > >
> > > That doesn't mean they're not worth it.
> >
> > Hmm to me it does. At least in comparison to other things. If we
> > really think we can't get good donations for USB sticks, I question
> > the expense. Especially when (as you say and are correct) we already
> > generate good donations, and feedback from other less expensive but
> > equally useful items.
> >
> > For example, it may make more sense to get some collared shirts
> > instead.
>
> Polos or Oxfords?

Rugby style.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Richard Broersma"
Date:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Sure, with a stitched elephant. :)
>
> They will both be embroidered. Huh, I never thought of Oxfords.

I would go for Oxfords as well.  Very Dressy!

Date:
Richard Broersma wrote:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Sure, with a stitched elephant. :)
They will both be embroidered. Huh, I never thought of Oxfords.
I would go for Oxfords as well.  Very Dressy!

How about some cool elephant ties too?

chander

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 22:32 -0700, Richard Broersma wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >> Sure, with a stitched elephant. :)
> >
> > They will both be embroidered. Huh, I never thought of Oxfords.
>
> I would go for Oxfords as well.  Very Dressy!

Yeah but, to be honest, the only person I *ever* see where an Oxford is
Fetter. Not that is bad, it is certainly a professional cut. If I can
get some more interest in them, I would have no problem get some made
but I think Polos need to come first.

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Yeah but, to be honest, the only person I *ever* see where an Oxford is
> Fetter. Not that is bad, it is certainly a professional cut. If I can
> get some more interest in them, I would have no problem get some made
> but I think Polos need to come first.

+1 (to Polos over Oxfords), although they're not necessarily mutually
exclusive.  (I wouldn't mind having both;  would the base color be
white [with blue elephant] or blue?)

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Richard Broersma"
Date:
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:50 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Yeah but, to be honest, the only person I *ever* see where an Oxford is
> Fetter. Not that is bad, it is certainly a professional cut. If I can
> get some more interest in them, I would have no problem get some made
> but I think Polos need to come first.

I agree.  However if a special request were to be made, what would be
the minimum order?

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 09:46 -0400, Chander Ganesan wrote:
> Richard Broersma wrote:

> > > They will both be embroidered. Huh, I never thought of Oxfords.
> > >

> > I would go for Oxfords as well.  Very Dressy!
> >

> How about some cool elephant ties too?

Who wears ties?

> chander

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 07:57 -0700, Richard Broersma wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:50 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > Yeah but, to be honest, the only person I *ever* see where an Oxford is
> > Fetter. Not that is bad, it is certainly a professional cut. If I can
> > get some more interest in them, I would have no problem get some made
> > but I think Polos need to come first.
>
> I agree.  However if a special request were to be made, what would be
> the minimum order?

Depends on what people want to pay really. I will talk to our vendor.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:47:25 -0700 gabrielle wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Michael Alan Brewer <mbrewer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd love to see oval, Euro-style stickers with either "PG", "PgSQL",
> > or "psql" on them;  those, plus temporary tattoos of our elephant logo
> > should work.
>
> Ooh, I like that sticker idea.  We had elephant logo stickers at LFNW.

Like the stickers we had at FOSDEM earlier this year?
I have two sheets, one with white and one with silver background, both
have an elephant on them.

Nobody wanted this stickers ...

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
<adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:47:25 -0700 gabrielle wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Michael Alan Brewer <mbrewer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'd love to see oval, Euro-style stickers with either "PG", "PgSQL",
>> > or "psql" on them;  those, plus temporary tattoos of our elephant logo
>> > should work.
>>
>> Ooh, I like that sticker idea.  We had elephant logo stickers at LFNW.
>
> Like the stickers we had at FOSDEM earlier this year?
> I have two sheets, one with white and one with silver background, both
> have an elephant on them.
>
> Nobody wanted this stickers ...

I never saw the FOSDEM ones! Can you send me a link or the art for them?

My plan is to make ones like these, but with the elephant on them:

http://skitch.com/selena/pstf/photo-50

These are from the JPUG.

They also made pink ones, and I've had an easy time giving these away
here in Portland at all kinds of geek meetings.

-selena

--

Date:
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:05:00 -0700 Selena Deckelmann wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
> <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

> >> Ooh, I like that sticker idea.  We had elephant logo stickers at LFNW.
> >
> > Like the stickers we had at FOSDEM earlier this year?
> > I have two sheets, one with white and one with silver background, both
> > have an elephant on them.
> >
> > Nobody wanted this stickers ...
>
> I never saw the FOSDEM ones! Can you send me a link or the art for them?

That's a problem. Right after i sent my mail i went into my storage
room and searched for the sheeds - could not find them. Right now i'm
not even sure if i brought them back from Brussels.
Will search again later today.

the stickers are approx 3cm, square, silver or white background and
have an elephant logo.

Looks very good - but as i said, almost nobody wanted one.

> My plan is to make ones like these, but with the elephant on them:
>
> http://skitch.com/selena/pstf/photo-50

Looks very cute!

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Booth Swag

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello,

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:14:49 -0700 Josh Berkus wrote:

> Donation Swag
> (stuff to use to solicit donations)
>     T-shirts
>     Enamel Pins
>     Stickers??
>     Blue Elephants?? (need to find cheaper source)
>     USB sticks??

You wanted to send me a contact address. If they PHP guys produce the
toys somewhere in europe, i can handle that.

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Booth Swag

From
Dave Page

Sent from my iPhone

On 14 Jun 2008, at 23:21, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-
nicht.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:47:25 -0700 gabrielle wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Michael Alan Brewer <mbrewer@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>> I'd love to see oval, Euro-style stickers with either "PG", "PgSQL",
>>> or "psql" on them;  those, plus temporary tattoos of our elephant
>>> logo
>>> should work.
>>
>> Ooh, I like that sticker idea.  We had elephant logo stickers at
>> LFNW.
>
> Like the stickers we had at FOSDEM earlier this year?
> I have two sheets, one with white and one with silver background, both
> have an elephant on them.
>
> Nobody wanted this stickers ...

We had stickers? I didn't know that, and I was on the booth for the
better part of two days!

/d

Re: Booth Swag

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:39:28 +0100 Dave Page wrote:

> On 14 Jun 2008, at 23:21, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-
> nicht.de> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:47:25 -0700 gabrielle wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Michael Alan Brewer <mbrewer@gmail.com
> >>
> >> Ooh, I like that sticker idea.  We had elephant logo stickers at
> >> LFNW.
> >
> > Like the stickers we had at FOSDEM earlier this year?
> > I have two sheets, one with white and one with silver background, both
> > have an elephant on them.
> >
> > Nobody wanted this stickers ...
> >
> We had stickers? I didn't know that, and I was on the booth for the
> better part of two days!

Oh, of course, we had:

http://andreas.scherbaum.la/pictures/v/events/fosdem_2008/dsc_3485_640x480.jpg.html
http://andreas.scherbaum.la/pictures/v/events/fosdem_2008/dsc_3486_640x480.jpg.html
http://andreas.scherbaum.la/pictures/v/events/fosdem_2008/dsc_3487_640x480.jpg.html
http://andreas.scherbaum.la/pictures/v/events/fosdem_2008/dsc_3494_640x480.jpg.html
http://andreas.scherbaum.la/pictures/v/events/fosdem_2008/dsc_3495_640x480.jpg.html
http://andreas.scherbaum.la/pictures/v/events/fosdem_2008/dsc_3497_640x480.jpg.html

Next to the big 60 cm (yes, that's an ISO unit ;-) ) elephant.

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Booth Swag

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:05:00 -0700 Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
>> <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

>>> Like the stickers we had at FOSDEM earlier this year?
>>> I have two sheets, one with white and one with silver background, both
>>> have an elephant on them.
>>>
>>> Nobody wanted this stickers ...
>> I never saw the FOSDEM ones! Can you send me a link or the art for them?
>
> That's a problem. Right after i sent my mail i went into my storage
> room and searched for the sheeds - could not find them. Right now i'm
> not even sure if i brought them back from Brussels.
> Will search again later today.

> the stickers are approx 3cm, square, silver or white background and
> have an elephant logo.
>
> Looks very good - but as i said, almost nobody wanted one.

I did. I think they were simply a bit too expensive. People want
stickers. They don't want to pay for them.

/Magnus

Re: Booth Swag

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum a écrit :
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:05:00 -0700 Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
>> <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

>>> Like the stickers we had at FOSDEM earlier this year?
>>> I have two sheets, one with white and one with silver background, both
>>> have an elephant on them.
>>>
>>> Nobody wanted this stickers ...
>> I never saw the FOSDEM ones! Can you send me a link or the art for them?
>
> That's a problem. Right after i sent my mail i went into my storage
> room and searched for the sheeds - could not find them. Right now i'm
> not even sure if i brought them back from Brussels.
> Will search again later today.

Are you talking about these ?
   http://lelarge.info/~guillaume/DSC_7893.JPG

I have some of them if anybody wants them.

--
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Booth Swag

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:23:04 +0200 Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum a écrit :
> >
> > That's a problem. Right after i sent my mail i went into my storage
> > room and searched for the sheeds - could not find them. Right now i'm
> > not even sure if i brought them back from Brussels.
> > Will search again later today.
> >

> Are you talking about these ?
>    http://lelarge.info/~guillaume/DSC_7893.JPG

Yeah! This are the stickers.
They are nice and not really expensive, i think 0,50 € each (or a bit
less, should check the invoice).

So either we can sell them or we can decide to have them as a give-away.

> I have some of them if anybody wants them.

I should have the others ... don't know where.
But thanks for the image ;-)

Kind regards

--

Date:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum a écrit :
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:23:04 +0200 Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> [...]
>> I have some of them if anybody wants them.
>
> I should have the others ... don't know where.
> But thanks for the image ;-)

:)

If you need them, don't hesitate to ask.

--
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Booth Swag

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

How about some cool elephant ties too?
Who wears ties?
Those corporate decision makers on wall street :-)

and me...

chander

chander

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Chander Ganesan wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> How about some cool elephant ties too?
>>>

>> Who wears ties?
>>
> Those corporate decision makers on wall street :-)

Oh... uptight people that usually die before 50 or are so angry with the
world by 60 that nobody wants to deal with them?

> and me...

Oops... :P

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
<adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
>> We had stickers? I didn't know that, and I was on the booth for the
>> better part of two days!
>
> Oh, of course, we had:
>
> http://andreas.scherbaum.la/pictures/v/events/fosdem_2008/dsc_3485_640x480.jpg.html
> http://andreas.scherbaum.la/pictures/v/events/fosdem_2008/dsc_3486_640x480.jpg.html
> http://andreas.scherbaum.la/pictures/v/events/fosdem_2008/dsc_3487_640x480.jpg.html
> http://andreas.scherbaum.la/pictures/v/events/fosdem_2008/dsc_3494_640x480.jpg.html
> http://andreas.scherbaum.la/pictures/v/events/fosdem_2008/dsc_3495_640x480.jpg.html
> http://andreas.scherbaum.la/pictures/v/events/fosdem_2008/dsc_3497_640x480.jpg.html

Oh yeah, I remember them now. We really couldn't give them away? Or
did you try to sell them? I'll also note that they were all on your
table, and I'm sure we sold more in general from our side :-p

> Next to the big 60 cm (yes, that's an ISO unit ;-) ) elephant.

Yeuch. 24" elephant. :-)

--
Dave Page

Re: Booth Swag

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:23:04 +0200 Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>
>> Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum a écrit :
>>> That's a problem. Right after i sent my mail i went into my storage
>>> room and searched for the sheeds - could not find them. Right now i'm
>>> not even sure if i brought them back from Brussels.
>>> Will search again later today.
>>>
>> Are you talking about these ?
>>    http://lelarge.info/~guillaume/DSC_7893.JPG
>
> Yeah! This are the stickers.
> They are nice and not really expensive, i think 0,50 € each (or a bit
> less, should check the invoice).
>
> So either we can sell them or we can decide to have them as a give-away.

I think we should give them away. It's too much hassle for so little
money, and it keeps people away from getting them.

//Magnus

Re: Booth Swag

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:57:19 +0100 Dave Page wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
> <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
>
> Oh yeah, I remember them now. We really couldn't give them away? Or
> did you try to sell them? I'll also note that they were all on your
> table, and I'm sure we sold more in general from our side :-p

Yeah, we tried so sold them, but they are not so expensive that we
cannot give them away. I only had one sheet with silver and one with
white background, so probably if we give them away they would be gone
in the first 30 minutes.

> > Next to the big 60 cm (yes, that's an ISO unit ;-) ) elephant.
>
> Yeuch. 24" elephant. :-)

Yeah, this big elephant is really cute! I still have the second one here
at home.

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Booth Swag: are we ordering it, or what?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

We only have a month until OSCON.  What's on order?  What are you handling,
and what do I need to?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 16:32 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> We only have a month until OSCON.  What's on order?  What are you handling,
> and what do I need to?

Folders are ordered
Stickers are pending (ordered this week or next, only need a week)
Pen Drives (pending for this week, only need 6 days)

Waiting on: Flyers (supposedly they are on their way)

Shirts, totes: We have.

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Monday 23 June 2008 18:54, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 16:32 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Josh,
> >
> > We only have a month until OSCON.  What's on order?  What are you
> > handling, and what do I need to?
>
> Folders are ordered
> Stickers are pending (ordered this week or next, only need a week)
> Pen Drives (pending for this week, only need 6 days)
>
> Waiting on: Flyers (supposedly they are on their way)
>
> Shirts, totes: We have.

Pop-up display?  I can order that if you'll send me the graphics you have.

Also, how many shirts do we have?  We should be able to get donations for
50-100 for LWE.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 19:03 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On Monday 23 June 2008 18:54, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 16:32 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Josh,
> > >
> > > We only have a month until OSCON.  What's on order?  What are you
> > > handling, and what do I need to?
> >
> > Folders are ordered
> > Stickers are pending (ordered this week or next, only need a week)
> > Pen Drives (pending for this week, only need 6 days)
> >
> > Waiting on: Flyers (supposedly they are on their way)
> >
> > Shirts, totes: We have.
>
> Pop-up display?  I can order that if you'll send me the graphics you have.

Oh yeah good point. They are 5x5 right?

> Also, how many shirts do we have?  We should be able to get donations for
> 50-100 for LWE.

I will have to order for LWE.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Booth Swag: are we ordering it, or what?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

>> Pop-up display?  I can order that if you'll send me the graphics you have.
>
> Oh yeah good point. They are 5x5 right?

Actually, it's 8x8.  I'm thinking of ordering the one with endcaps,
because they look more elegant and are only $100 more:
http://www.displays2go.com/product.asp?ID=3952

Does the graphic you sent me comply with their artwork requirements?
http://www.displays2go.com/bannerguidelines/TEPUGM8C_bannerguide.html

I also think we really need some literature stands.  But I'm not sure if
we want counter display:
http://www.displays2go.com/product.asp?ID=9564

or floor-mounted sturdy:
http://www.displays2go.com/product.asp?ID=5440

or floor-mounted ultralight:
http://www.displays2go.com/product.asp?ID=7341

THoughts?

--Josh Berkus

Re: Booth Swag: are we ordering it, or what?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Josh,
>
> >> Pop-up display?  I can order that if you'll send me the graphics you have.
> >
> > Oh yeah good point. They are 5x5 right?
>
> Actually, it's 8x8.  I'm thinking of ordering the one with endcaps,
> because they look more elegant and are only $100 more:
> http://www.displays2go.com/product.asp?ID=3952

The art I sent you is 4x4 vector. It should scale to the 8x8 with zero
changes.

> Does the graphic you sent me comply with their artwork requirements?
> http://www.displays2go.com/bannerguidelines/TEPUGM8C_bannerguide.html

Not a clue :). Can you ask them, our artist won't be online for some
time today?

> I also think we really need some literature stands.  But I'm not sure if
> we want counter display:

I would would lean toward something we can put on the table. That way we
have no change of it blocking potential users from getting to us, or
worse getting knocked over.

Date:
On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 11:19 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> I also think we really need some literature stands.  But I'm not sure if
>> we want counter display:

I like that one.

> I would would lean toward something we can put on the table. That way we
> have no change of it blocking potential users from getting to us, or
> worse getting knocked over.

Yes, definitely on the table.  There's not enough room at OSCON to put
something up on the floor without encroaching on aisle space, or
back-of-booth space.

gabrielle