Re: Booth Swag - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Booth Swag
Date
Re: Booth Swag
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh,

> Hmm to me it does. At least in comparison to other things. If we really
> think we can't get good donations for USB sticks, I question the
> expense. Especially when (as you say and are correct) we already
> generate good donations, and feedback from other less expensive but
> equally useful items.

Well, then we're back to CDs, yes?  Since we are a free software project, we
really do want to hand out a "copy" of PostgreSQL.  At trade shows
(LinuxWorld, LinuxTag, LISA, etc.) this is one of the things which
distinguishes us from the commercial software vendors; they won't give away
their software, we will.

As for the donations, I don't think we realistically can raise more than about
$350 per trade show booth from all sources without merchandising becoming the
main focus of our booth.  Debian does that, and I don't think it's something
we should emulate.

If we're going to add anything to the booth for $$$, I think we should
consider the plushy elephants.  That's a higher-end item, and can inspire
people to give us $30-$40 for an elephant instead of $20 for a t-shirt, which
would increase total giving.

I also think we should make a wholesale distribution arrangement with a
publisher (APress?) for PostgreSQL books.  Robert, whom should I talk to at
APress?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun