Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh, Robert, Koen, all:

We're going to need some new booth stuff for LISA06:

1) I'd like to do a color offset print of Gavin Sherry's marketing flyer.
Gavin, do you have a color separation for this?  Can you get one?

2) I want to have a flyer for PostgreSQL 8.2.  Can some one compose a 1-page
flyer extolling the features of 8.2 and talking about the release?

3) Would it be possible to get an ISO for a livecd of the 8.2 Beta?   I'd like
to burn a handful of them to hand out to selected people, such as the press.
We'll give away the rest of the 8.1 CDs, too.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Do we no longer have anyone on this list interested in actually
*producing* anything?   This message (below) got zero responses, as
opposed to 45+ messages kibitzing about MySQL.

The advocacy list is supposed to be to drive PostgreSQL advocacy and
coordinate promotional activities for our group.   If this list has
become strictly a gossip forum, I'll kill it off now.

> We're going to need some new booth stuff for LISA06:
>
> 1) I'd like to do a color offset print of Gavin Sherry's marketing flyer.
> Gavin, do you have a color separation for this?  Can you get one?
>
> 2) I want to have a flyer for PostgreSQL 8.2.  Can some one compose a 1-page
> flyer extolling the features of 8.2 and talking about the release?
>
> 3) Would it be possible to get an ISO for a livecd of the 8.2 Beta?   I'd like
> to burn a handful of them to hand out to selected people, such as the press.
> We'll give away the rest of the 8.1 CDs, too.

--Josh Berkus

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com
Date:
Josh,

I can't do offset as I don't have the equipment.
I CAN run xxx off a Xerox Phaser 7700.  If you'd like, I can FedEx a
sample to you, then you can decide if the quality is adequate.  Largest
size is 11" x 17".

Can also help with "design", though I'd rather leave actual content
(text) in your's or someone else's hands.

Contact me off line if you prefer.

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

> Do we no longer have anyone on this list interested in actually
> *producing* anything?   This message (below) got zero responses, as
> opposed to 45+ messages kibitzing about MySQL.
>
> The advocacy list is supposed to be to drive PostgreSQL advocacy
> and
> coordinate promotional activities for our group.   If this list has
> become strictly a gossip forum, I'll kill it off now.
>

> > We're going to need some new booth stuff for LISA06:
> >
> > 1) I'd like to do a color offset print of Gavin Sherry's
> marketing flyer.
> > Gavin, do you have a color separation for this?  Can you get one?
> >
> > 2) I want to have a flyer for PostgreSQL 8.2.  Can some one
> compose a 1-page
> > flyer extolling the features of 8.2 and talking about the release?
> >
> > 3) Would it be possible to get an ISO for a livecd of the 8.2
> Beta?   I'd like
> > to burn a handful of them to hand out to selected people, such as
> the press.
> > We'll give away the rest of the 8.1 CDs, too.
> >

> --Josh Berkus
>
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)-----------------------
> ----

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Michael,

> I can't do offset as I don't have the equipment.
> I CAN run xxx off a Xerox Phaser 7700.  If you'd like, I can FedEx a
> sample to you, then you can decide if the quality is adequate.  Largest
> size is 11" x 17".

Wow, thanks.  I wasn't looking for people to print stuff, though, just
design it.

> Can also help with "design", though I'd rather leave actual content
> (text) in your's or someone else's hands.

Hey, if you can do layout & graphics even passably well, we very very much
need you.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com
> > I can't do offset as I don't have the equipment.
> > I CAN run xxx off a Xerox Phaser 7700.  If you'd like, I can
> FedEx a
> > sample to you, then you can decide if the quality is adequate.
> Largest> size is 11" x 17".
>
> Wow, thanks.  I wasn't looking for people to print stuff, though,
> just
> design it.
>
> > Can also help with "design", though I'd rather leave actual content
> > (text) in your's or someone else's hands.
>
> Hey, if you can do layout & graphics even passably well, we very
> very much
> need you.
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco

No big deal.

Please point me to *something*, ideally a pdf & I'll
run a couple and FedEx or Express mail to you.
Send me your address off list.  I'll also need a phone #.

I'd rather you saw something before you said OK. If it passes the
ugly-stick test, then we can worry about content & layout shortly after.
 Also, give me an idea on quantity.  If it is a big run, I may need to
order consumables.

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Friday 17 November 2006 13:51, Josh Berkus wrote:
> The advocacy list is supposed to be to drive PostgreSQL advocacy and
> coordinate promotional activities for our group.   If this list has
> become strictly a gossip forum, I'll kill it off now.

I've been offline for the past week so I haven't been reading any email
whatsover.

> > 3) Would it be possible to get an ISO for a livecd of the 8.2 Beta?   I'd
> > like to burn a handful of them to hand out to selected people, such as
> > the press. We'll give away the rest of the 8.1 CDs, too.

Deadlines please, then I can tell you what I can do.

Robert Bernier

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> I've been offline for the past week so I haven't been reading any email
> whatsover.

That wasn't aimed particularly at you.

> > > 3) Would it be possible to get an ISO for a livecd of the 8.2 Beta?
> > > I'd like to burn a handful of them to hand out to selected people, such
> > > as the press. We'll give away the rest of the 8.1 CDs, too.
>
> Deadlines please, then I can tell you what I can do.

Well, LISA is December 5.   I'd need to burn the CDs on my home computer
before then, so I guess I'd need an ISO no later than the end of this month.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Josh,

On Saturday 18 November 2006 16:21, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
> Well, LISA is December 5.   I'd need to burn the CDs on my home computer
> before then, so I guess I'd need an ISO no later than the end of this
> month.

I will have a version ready for you by the end of this week, latest evening of
25 November.

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
Doesn't someone (Josh Drake?) have access to a mass CD burner?

On Nov 18, 2006, at 3:21 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Robert,
>
>> I've been offline for the past week so I haven't been reading any
>> email
>> whatsover.
>
> That wasn't aimed particularly at you.

>> Deadlines please, then I can tell you what I can do.
>
> Well, LISA is December 5.   I'd need to burn the CDs on my home
> computer
> before then, so I guess I'd need an ISO no later than the end of
> this month.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Tuesday 21 November 2006 15:14, Jim Nasby wrote:
> Doesn't someone (Josh Drake?) have access to a mass CD burner?

Well, technically I think I've got 5 - CD/dvd burners here at home.

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 16:49 -0500, Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 15:14, Jim Nasby wrote:
> > Doesn't someone (Josh Drake?) have access to a mass CD burner?

I do not have access to a mass CD burner. I have a vendor that I have
used for years that takes very good care of us (cmd) and us (the
community).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Well, technically I think I've got 5 - CD/dvd burners here at home.

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> I do not have access to a mass CD burner. I have a vendor that I have
> used for years that takes very good care of us (cmd) and us (the
> community).

I only need a couple dozen, which I'm capable of turning out on my home
machine.  If only I could get the lightscriber working ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
Josh (Berkus variety),

I offered to design & print flyers for your conference and asked that
you point me to some possible source materials, give me an idea on the
desired size, estimate a quantity + give me a ship to address.

I see an SPF discussion is taking place on www and it's possible my
previous letter was deleted.  At any rate  --- I'd rather not wait until
the last minute, so .....

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com
Date:
Josh Berkus,

Were you going to point me to some materials/content we could use as
source material for developing the printed materials/flyers for this
conference?

Once again I'd like an idea on quantity.

If you have already answered, I guess I missed it.

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Wednesday 22 November 2006 00:56, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> > I do not have access to a mass CD burner. I have a vendor that I have
> > used for years that takes very good care of us (cmd) and us (the
> > community).
>
> I only need a couple dozen, which I'm capable of turning out on my home
> machine.  If only I could get the lightscriber working ...

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/index.aspx

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Mike,

> Were you going to point me to some materials/content we could use as
> source material for developing the printed materials/flyers for this
> conference?
> Once again I'd like an idea on quantity.

Like I said, we only want *design*, not printing, which I'll take care of at
Kinko's.

The source material is the 8.2 presskit, which is here:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/233/release82.zip

Note that this is a earlier draft, but it shouldn't affect developing a flyer.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
We'll have 2 pdf's ready (for comment) --- probably end of day tomorrow.

 - #1 will be an 8.5" x 11" --- which is meant to be printed in full color, 2-sided and trifolded.
Designed to be a brief overview and printed in full color.  Cover is done.  Content in-progress.

- #2 will be 11" x 17", 2 sheets, 8 impressions (8.5x 11), centerfolded and stitched, so that finished size would be similar to a magazine.

Designed to provide:
a)  Complete, organized detail of changess 8.1 --> 8.2
b)  Something for detail oriented people to read as they eagerly await the opportunity to actually speak to Josh Berkus.  Content and layout are done.  Cover is in-progress.  Can be either color or B&W.  B&W should be adequate for its intended purpose.

So -- question is --- when we are done, where do we put it/email it?  Probably be ~ 2 meg total, maybe less.

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

Josh Berkus wrote:
Michael,

I can't do offset as I don't have the equipment.
I CAN run xxx off a Xerox Phaser 7700.  If you'd like, I can FedEx a
sample to you, then you can decide if the quality is adequate.  Largest
size is 11" x 17".
Wow, thanks.  I wasn't looking for people to print stuff, though, just
design it.

Can also help with "design", though I'd rather leave actual content
(text) in your's or someone else's hands.
Hey, if you can do layout & graphics even passably well, we very very much
need you.

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Mike,

> We'll have 2 pdf's ready (for comment) --- probably end of day tomorrow.

You're my hero!

> So -- question is --- when we are done, where do we put it/email it?
>  Probably be ~ 2 meg total, maybe less.

I'm making you a developer on the "press" project on pgFoundry.  You can
upload the flyers as using the Documents page:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000047

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> We'll have 2 pdf's ready (for comment) --- probably end of day tomorrow.
> - #1 will be an 8.5" x 11" --- which is meant to be printed in full
> color, 2-sided and trifolded.  Designed to be a brief overview and
> printed in full color.  Cover is done.  Content in-progress.
>
> - #2 will be 11" x 17", 2 sheets, 8 impressions (8.5x 11), centerfolded
> and stitched, so that finished size would be similar to a magazine.
>
> Designed to provide:
> a)  Complete, organized detail of changess 8.1 --> 8.2
> b)  Something for detail oriented people to read as they eagerly await
> the opportunity to actually speak to Josh Berkus.  Content and layout
> are done.  Cover is in-progress.  Can be either color or B&W.  B&W
> should be adequate for its intended purpose.
>
> So -- question is --- when we are done, where do we put it/email it?
> Probably be ~ 2 meg total, maybe less.

I'd like a copies if possible.  I work for a publishing company with
printing capabilities including stitching and folding.  I'd like to see
what we could do with these.

Any preferences on paper weight etc?

Rod
--

> Thanks,
> Mike Ellsworth
>

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Michael,
>>

>>> I can't do offset as I don't have the equipment.
>>> I CAN run xxx off a Xerox Phaser 7700.  If you'd like, I can FedEx a
>>> sample to you, then you can decide if the quality is adequate.  Largest
>>> size is 11" x 17".
>>>

>> Wow, thanks.  I wasn't looking for people to print stuff, though, just
>> design it.
>>

>>> Can also help with "design", though I'd rather leave actual content
>>> (text) in your's or someone else's hands.
>>>

>> Hey, if you can do layout & graphics even passably well, we very very
>> much need you.

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> Mike Ellsworth wrote:
>
>> We'll have 2 pdf's ready (for comment) --- probably end of day
>> tomorrow. - #1 will be an 8.5" x 11" --- which is meant to be printed
>> in full color, 2-sided and trifolded.  Designed to be a brief
>> overview and printed in full color.  Cover is done.  Content in-progress.
>>
>> - #2 will be 11" x 17", 2 sheets, 8 impressions (8.5x 11),
>> centerfolded and stitched, so that finished size would be similar to
>> a magazine.
>>
>> Designed to provide:
>> a)  Complete, organized detail of changess 8.1 --> 8.2
>> b)  Something for detail oriented people to read as they eagerly
>> await the opportunity to actually speak to Josh Berkus.  Content and
>> layout are done.  Cover is in-progress.  Can be either color or B&W.
>> B&W should be adequate for its intended purpose.
>>
>> So -- question is --- when we are done, where do we put it/email it?
>> Probably be ~ 2 meg total, maybe less.
>

> I'd like a copies if possible.  I work for a publishing company with
> printing capabilities including stitching and folding.  I'd like to
> see what we could do with these.
>
> Any preferences on paper weight etc?
>

> Rod

Kind of a short fuse as LISA is just around the corner -- and Josh
indicated he was just going to get them run at Kinko's.  He probably
needs all within the next few days.

I'm sure after this conference, he'd welcome any help.  Brochures aren't
really our "thing" and we were just trying to help with a short term
need. So in the future -- feel free to hop in or - take over .  I'm sure
your capabilities exceed ours.  When this is complete (with edits), I'll
forward to you or post a link as applicable.

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Roderick,

> I'd like a copies if possible.  I work for a publishing company with
> printing capabilities including stitching and folding.  I'd like to see
> what we could do with these.
>
> Any preferences on paper weight etc?

Wow, that's great!

I think that we're too late for LISA, but I'd like to look at printing stuff
for the spring conference season.  For one thing, I have a very nice flyer
from our Australian community which is non version-specific that I'd like a
few thousand copies of for conferences.  The holdup there is that the
original desinger has so far been immune to requests for source files so that
we can resize it from A4.  :-(

Mike's flyer and brochure will be available for download once he posts it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Roderick,
>
> > I'd like a copies if possible.  I work for a publishing company with
> > printing capabilities including stitching and folding.  I'd like to see
> > what we could do with these.
> >
> > Any preferences on paper weight etc?
>
> Wow, that's great!
>
> I think that we're too late for LISA, but I'd like to look at printing stuff
> for the spring conference season.  For one thing, I have a very nice flyer
> from our Australian community which is non version-specific that I'd like a
> few thousand copies of for conferences.  The holdup there is that the
> original desinger has so far been immune to requests for source files so that
> we can resize it from A4.  :-(

You do know we can print from A4? What is the concern about A4 (it is
the international standard...). Yes I am fully aware that the US uses
letter and that it is preferred, but what is the actual problem with A4?

> Mike's flyer and brochure will be available for download once he posts it.

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> You do know we can print from A4? What is the concern about A4 (it is
> the international standard...). Yes I am fully aware that the US uses
> letter and that it is preferred, but what is the actual problem with A4?

It doesn't resize cleanly to 8.5x11", and if we want to print on A4 in the US
we pay extra.

Actually, the prohibitive issue with not having the source files is the
inability to do a color separation for professional printing.   Maybe there's
a way to do a color separation from a PDF, but I don't know it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Josh,
>
> > You do know we can print from A4? What is the concern about A4 (it is
> > the international standard...). Yes I am fully aware that the US uses
> > letter and that it is preferred, but what is the actual problem with A4?
>
> It doesn't resize cleanly to 8.5x11", and if we want to print on A4 in the US
> we pay extra.

Yes, but not a lot ;)

> Actually, the prohibitive issue with not having the source files is the
> inability to do a color separation for professional printing.   Maybe there's
> a way to do a color separation from a PDF, but I don't know it.

What level of quality are we trying to get here? I print at
Staples/Office Depot directly from PDF all the time, it looks great.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>
>> Mike Ellsworth wrote:
>>
>>> We'll have 2 pdf's ready (for comment) --- probably end of day
>>> tomorrow. - #1 will be an 8.5" x 11" --- which is meant to be printed
>>> in full color, 2-sided and trifolded.  Designed to be a brief
>>> overview and printed in full color.  Cover is done.  Content
>>> in-progress.
>>>
>>> - #2 will be 11" x 17", 2 sheets, 8 impressions (8.5x 11),
>>> centerfolded and stitched, so that finished size would be similar to
>>> a magazine.
>>>
>>> Designed to provide:
>>> a)  Complete, organized detail of changess 8.1 --> 8.2
>>> b)  Something for detail oriented people to read as they eagerly
>>> await the opportunity to actually speak to Josh Berkus.  Content and
>>> layout are done.  Cover is in-progress.  Can be either color or B&W.
>>> B&W should be adequate for its intended purpose.
>>>
>>> So -- question is --- when we are done, where do we put it/email it?
>>> Probably be ~ 2 meg total, maybe less.
>>

>> I'd like a copies if possible.  I work for a publishing company with
>> printing capabilities including stitching and folding.  I'd like to
>> see what we could do with these.
>>
>> Any preferences on paper weight etc?
>>

>> Rod
>
> Kind of a short fuse as LISA is just around the corner -- and Josh
> indicated he was just going to get them run at Kinko's.  He probably
> needs all within the next few days.

Sorry.  I've been kind of buried and didn't follow the initial thread on
this.  Typically for anything less than 10,000 it would only take a day
or so plus shipping time.
   Also I would have to get it approved,  See below.

> I'm sure after this conference, he'd welcome any help.  Brochures aren't
> really our "thing" and we were just trying to help with a short term
> need. So in the future -- feel free to hop in or - take over .  I'm sure
> your capabilities exceed ours.  When this is complete (with edits), I'll
> forward to you or post a link as applicable.

Well I've been working on a "project" that would tie in nicely and could
be used for marketing by "PostgreSQL" companies.

I've looked, but with little success, for a quick reference for
PostgreSQL.  Something similar to what Visibone does for Web design.
Books are OK, as are the Docs, but there are times I just need a tap
with the clue-stick not a full on whack.

So to get this I'm designing an eight page "Quick" reference.  The plan
is to print on 120# ( 12 pt ) paper and UV coat to give it some body.
Stitched and folded to "US letter" :-)

It could/would have a spot, or two, for a company to put its logo, URL,
and contact information; and passed out at trade shows.

Or with PostgreSQL info, sold in book stores.

I have got a very good cost quote.  ( Not high enough up the food chain
to get _this_ done for free. )  So any profit from the sale could go
into 'the fund.'

OK I'll calm down a bit.

Rod
--

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On November 28, 2006 10:40 am, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> > You do know we can print from A4? What is the concern about A4 (it is
> > the international standard...). Yes I am fully aware that the US uses
> > letter and that it is preferred, but what is the actual problem with A4?
>
> It doesn't resize cleanly to 8.5x11", and if we want to print on A4 in the
> US we pay extra.
>
> Actually, the prohibitive issue with not having the source files is the
> inability to do a color separation for professional printing.   Maybe
> there's a way to do a color separation from a PDF, but I don't know it.

I have access to something that may be able to do it, where is it hiding ?

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Command Prompt, Inc.

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Darcy,

> I have access to something that may be able to do it, where is it hiding
> ?

Here:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/290/postgresql_flyer_au.pdf

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
<Josh Berkus wrote:
I'm making you a developer on the "press" project on pgFoundry.  You can
upload the flyers as using the Documents page:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000047>

Josh,
I submitted the larger one to General Press docs -- though I don't see
it.  I assume that you can.  I put this one in 1st as I suspect there
will be edits and the other is still in progress..

Note the sequential #'s.  They will be deleted later, but for the time
being, you'll be able to tell me "On or about Line 99, delete "xxx".

Pages 3/4 back up to 5/2
Pages 1/6 back up to 7 and the Cover.

Put them together, centerfold ---- and remember they are 11" x 17",
landscape.  Will be nano if printed at 8.5 x 11.

Don't worry about "pretty" at this point.
Page 7 is still in progress.  Design person left for the day.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
Josh,

Forgot to mention that I downsized the cover to 100 dpi.
After edits are done, will spool with full size.  So if it prints fuzzy
now, later it won't.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Mike,

> I just wanted to get the "copious" one to you (except for page 7) so you
> could edit. Quite a bit of detail in it and there may be some changes -
> as the source of the text is a 2 + weeks old.

heh, I'm not going to edit it.  No way to I have time to second-guess you.
Hopefully you did a good job.

Anyone else have time to go over Mike's 8.2 omnibus?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Derek,

> I do not have access to pgfoundry, but am willing to read it over if
> someone can send it to me or give me access.

You should, it's a public document:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000047

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com
Date:
Derek,

It's down the page -- listed under General Press Docs (8.2_copious.pdf)

> > I do not have access to pgfoundry, but am willing to read it over if
> > someone can send it to me or give me access.
>
> You should, it's a public document:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000047
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco
>
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)-----------------------
> ----
>       match

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com
Date:
Josh,

I just uploaded the back of the 8.5 x 11.  Working on the front of the
same 8.5 x 11 now.  Maybe another hour forthat.  Decided to just do a
"rework" of the .au flyer that was sized for A4 as my creative juices
are absent at the moment.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com
Date:
> You should, it's a public document:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000047

Just submitted "lisa_06.pdf", which is both pages of the 8.5 x 11 and
essentially, a bit of a rework of the .au flyer that was A4.

Josh/all  - if you have edits, please post.

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Mike,

> Just submitted "lisa_06.pdf", which is both pages of the 8.5 x 11 and
> essentially, a bit of a rework of the .au flyer that was A4.

Very nice!  Can you upload source please, so that we can have that for
future edits?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Mike,

> Very nice!  Can you upload source please, so that we can have that for
> future edits?

Also, we need the high-resolution version for printing.  I'd like to run
this off tommorrow ... possible?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Roderick,

> Sorry.  I've been kind of buried and didn't follow the initial thread on
> this.  Typically for anything less than 10,000 it would only take a day
> or so plus shipping time.

Unfortunately, I think shipping time will be prohibitive for LISA (only 5
days left).  However, I would very much like to talk to you about printing
for the spring conferences.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 29 November 2006 15:07, nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com wrote:
> > You should, it's a public document:
> > http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000047
>
> Just submitted "lisa_06.pdf", which is both pages of the 8.5 x 11 and
> essentially, a bit of a rework of the .au flyer that was A4.
>
> Josh/all  - if you have edits, please post.

Took a quick look and the lisa_06 one looks good.  The copious one seems good
too, though the big "under dev" section could use some content filling.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 19:53 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 15:07, nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com wrote:
> > > You should, it's a public document:
> > > http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000047
> >
> > Just submitted "lisa_06.pdf", which is both pages of the 8.5 x 11 and
> > essentially, a bit of a rework of the .au flyer that was A4.
> >
> > Josh/all  - if you have edits, please post.
> >

> Took a quick look and the lisa_06 one looks good.  The copious one seems good
> too, though the big "under dev" section could use some content filling.

The lisa 06 has a problem with the text in the header. It may be over
compressed.

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 17:42 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > > Just submitted "lisa_06.pdf", which is both pages of the 8.5 x 11 and
> > > essentially, a bit of a rework of the .au flyer that was A4.
> > >
> > > Josh/all  - if you have edits, please post.
> > >

> > Took a quick look and the lisa_06 one looks good.  The copious one seems good
> > too, though the big "under dev" section could use some content filling.
>
> The lisa 06 has a problem with the text in the header. It may be over
> compressed.

Sorry for the brievity, it actually looks quite nice, I just noticed the
text.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com
Date:
> Took a quick look and the lisa_06 one looks good.  The copious one
> seems good
> too, though the big "under dev" section could use some content
> filling.
>
> --
> Robert Treat
> Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

Unless there are edits for the lisa_06.pdf, it is done.
Source files will be uploaded later today.

For the copious.pdf, I uploaded the content of page 7 late yesterday,
but noticed a couple of alignment errors, so I'll pick at it this AM,
delete all the "edit" numbers, swap the full sized images, respool the
postscript, etc --- Should be up (and complete) somewhere around 10 AM,
Eastern.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Mike Ellsworth
Date:
I have uploaded "LISA_copious_final.pdf" to PG forge, under General
Press Docs.

I had originally planned on including Sponsors' logo, but aside from the
difficulty of sizing, a brain cell fired and reminded me that Marketing
departments would flip if they saw the results as they have much heavier
requirements for print than for the web.

The following files should be deleted from pgforge as I think I no can do:

 -- team.pdf
-- p2_lisa,pdf
-- 8.2_copious.pdf

The final,  "good" files are:
LISA_copious_final.pdf
lisa_06.pdf

Relevant source files (Photoshop & Illustrator) will be uploaded during
the day.

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com
> I have uploaded "LISA_copious_final.pdf" to PG forge, under General
> Press Docs.
>
> I had originally planned on including Sponsors' logo, but aside
> from the
> difficulty of sizing, a brain cell fired and reminded me that
> Marketing
> departments would flip if they saw the results as they have much
> heavier
> requirements for print than for the web.
>
> The following files should be deleted from pgforge as I think I no
> can do:
>
> -- team.pdf
> -- p2_lisa,pdf
> -- 8.2_copious.pdf
>
> The final,  "good" files are:
> LISA_copious_final.pdf
> lisa_06.pdf
>
> Relevant source files (Photoshop & Illustrator) will be uploaded
> during
> the day.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Ellsworth
>

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)-----------------------
> ----
>       match

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
As of 9:00 AM Pacific today the lisa_06.pdf looked pretty fuzzy in
acroread ( Linux ) and was set for fast web viewing.  The lines on the
building had a good case of the jaggies.

The p2_lisa.pdf looks very good.

8.2_copious.pdf looks pretty good.  What weight of paper is planned for
the printed version?  This so I can put some samples of what we do
together for review/evaluation.  Since it is mostly black and white it
would be tough to show off what we do.  But if we can get company logos
for the 'Dev' page it would really look nice.

Rod
--
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com wrote:
> duh, sb pgfoundry

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com
Date:
> As of 9:00 AM Pacific today the lisa_06.pdf looked pretty fuzzy in
> acroread ( Linux ) and was set for fast web viewing.  The lines on
> the
> building had a good case of the jaggies.
>
> The p2_lisa.pdf looks very good.
>
> 8.2_copious.pdf looks pretty good.  What weight of paper is planned
> for
> the printed version?  This so I can put some samples of what we do
> together for review/evaluation.  Since it is mostly black and white
> it
> would be tough to show off what we do.  But if we can get company
> logos
> for the 'Dev' page it would really look nice.
>

> Rod
> --
> nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com wrote:
> > duh, sb pgfoundry

Rod,

If you are talking about the building in the left column of page 1,
there is little I can do about that other than replacing the image.
That is an "inherited" picture from an A4 effort someone made last year.
 However, I just printed it and I'm not seeing the jaggies you describe.
 Given Josh's tight time frame, I anticipated he'd just have Kinko's run
color copies.  No time for offset and the paper would probably be
whatever "color copy paper" they have laying about ... probably 28#.
The copious would likely be printed B&W.  I think the audience for LISA
is not marketing/ print production type people.  It's guys with backup
pocket protectors that find calculators work slower than their brain.

The only item I can see that may need work is the quote under the "open
door elephant" prints a bit light ... and this, I can fix.

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Mike,

> The final,  "good" files are:
> LISA_copious_final.pdf
> lisa_06.pdf

Thanks so much!   I'm off to Krishna Copy today ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Roderick,

> As of 9:00 AM Pacific today the lisa_06.pdf looked pretty fuzzy in
> acroread ( Linux ) and was set for fast web viewing.  The lines on the
> building had a good case of the jaggies.
>
> The p2_lisa.pdf looks very good.
>
> 8.2_copious.pdf looks pretty good.  What weight of paper is planned for
> the printed version?  This so I can put some samples of what we do
> together for review/evaluation.  Since it is mostly black and white it
> would be tough to show off what we do.  But if we can get company logos
> for the 'Dev' page it would really look nice.

Wait, do you really think you can get these printed for LISA?  I'd need to
have them at the OmniTI office by Tuesday morning.  That seems a little
ambitious ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com

> Wait, do you really think you can get these printed for LISA?  I'd
> need to
> have them at the OmniTI office by Tuesday morning.  That seems a
> little
> ambitious ...
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco

Josh,

Regardless of what you decide to do, take a minute and print these.
Don't take off to the copy shack until you do ---- even if only
grayscale.  Better for me to adjust now than when you are standing at
the counter.

Also, I tried to upload a zip of all the source files and it crapped
out.  Photshop files can get huge.  The total zip size is 20.7 meg.

Re: Collateral for LISA 06

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 13:06 -0500, nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com wrote:

> > Wait, do you really think you can get these printed for LISA?  I'd
> > need to
> > have them at the OmniTI office by Tuesday morning.  That seems a
> > little
> > ambitious ...
> >
> > --
> > Josh Berkus
> > PostgreSQL @ Sun
> > San Francisco
>
> Josh,
>
> Regardless of what you decide to do, take a minute and print these.
> Don't take off to the copy shack until you do ---- even if only
> grayscale.  Better for me to adjust now than when you are standing at
> the counter.
>
> Also, I tried to upload a zip of all the source files and it crapped
> out.  Photshop files can get huge.  The total zip size is 20.7 meg.

nhr, can you put them someplace that is http accessible? I am still
showing fuzziness on text and the print has some transparency issues
(but that may be my print driver).

             http://www.commandprompt.com/