Is is worth organising a "PostgreSQL Newsletter"?

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi everyone,

Just received the MySQL Newsletter in the email (it's good to watch what
other projects are doing) and had the thought it may be worthwhile for
us to have a similar kind of thing.

This is the "Table of Contents" for the latest newsletter.  For each
item it has a short description then an URL to the complete article on
the MySQL site:

***********

    PRODUCTS
    * MySQL 4.1 Source Available for Public
    * MyODBC 3.51.04 Released
    * New MySQL Consulting Web Pages launched
    * MySQL 3.23.53 Released
    FEATURES
    * Efficiently using VARCHAR columns
    EVENTS
    * MySQL User's Conference in April 2003
    TRAINING
    * First - Developing Dynamic Web Applications with MySQL and PHP -
training course
    * October  MySQL Training
    PARTNER CORNER
    * MySQL AB's new Education Partner Program
    * Arkeia Corp. Announces MySQL Plug-In for Hot Backup
    * Lasso Development  Ltd provides Lasso/MySQL driven Content
Management  System
    * Kättare Internet Services powered by Emic Application Cluster
    LATEST NEWS
    * Latest MySQL News

***********

Does anyone here have experience with creating newsletters and similar?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Is is worth organising a "PostgreSQL Newsletter"?

From
Neil Conway
Date:
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> Does anyone here have experience with creating newsletters and
> similar?

I was thinking of doing something similar: writing a "Kernel
Traffic"-like summary of the discussions on -hackers, on a weekly or
bi-weekly basis. I was thinking of making it more developer oriented,
but I think there is room for several publications that try to
summarize different aspects of PostgreSQL-related communication.

Would anyone be interested in seeing this?

While I'm at it, a PostgreSQL Wiki might be worth having as well...

Cheers,

Neil

Date:
Neil Conway wrote:

> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Does anyone here have experience with creating newsletters and
> > similar?
>
> I was thinking of doing something similar: writing a "Kernel
> Traffic"-like summary of the discussions on -hackers, on a weekly or
> bi-weekly basis. I was thinking of making it more developer oriented,
> but I think there is room for several publications that try to
> summarize different aspects of PostgreSQL-related communication.
>
> Would anyone be interested in seeing this?

Interesting idea.  Sounds worth looking into as well.  :)

> While I'm at it, a PostgreSQL Wiki might be worth having as well...

Definitely.  Am presently testing out some Wiki stuff with a view to
make something worthwhile that we can all use to collaborate through.

Am new to Wiki's, so it could be interesting.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Is is worth organising a "PostgreSQL

From
Ryan Mahoney
Date:
> I was thinking of doing something similar: writing a "Kernel
> Traffic"-like summary of the discussions on -hackers, on a weekly or
> bi-weekly basis. I was thinking of making it more developer oriented,
> but I think there is room for several publications that try to
> summarize different aspects of PostgreSQL-related communication.
>
> Would anyone be interested in seeing this?

I think this is a great idea!  Similar to the weekly PHP wrap-up on
zend.org.

What do you think of the idea of setting up an RSS feed so other sites
can subscribe to syndicated postgres news content in an XML format (I
believe slashdot and newsforge do this).

-r

Re: Is is worth organising a "PostgreSQLNewsletter"?

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Ryan Mahoney wrote:
<snip>
> I think this is a great idea!  Similar to the weekly PHP wrap-up on
> zend.org.
>
> What do you think of the idea of setting up an RSS feed so other sites
> can subscribe to syndicated postgres news content in an XML format (I
> believe slashdot and newsforge do this).

Now thats *another* very good idea.

Any idea how it should be put together?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> -r

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Is is worth organising a

From
Ryan Mahoney
Date:
I could help setting up a simple RSS syndicating script in PHP.  I have
never done it before 8) but how hard could it be.  Just looking on
freshmeat I found a number that look promising.

http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=php+rss§ion=projects&x=10&y=13

I don't know what content management system (if any) you all are
currently using, but I am sure a cron can be written to export the data
to the RSS script.

-r

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 13:57, Justin Clift wrote:
> Ryan Mahoney wrote:
> <snip>
> > I think this is a great idea!  Similar to the weekly PHP wrap-up on
> > zend.org.
> >
> > What do you think of the idea of setting up an RSS feed so other sites
> > can subscribe to syndicated postgres news content in an XML format (I
> > believe slashdot and newsforge do this).
>
> Now thats *another* very good idea.
>
> Any idea how it should be put together?
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>

> > -r

>    - Indira Gandhi

Re: Is is worth organising a

From
Robert Treat
Date:
I was going to suggest this once the "new and improved" postgresql
homepage was released. Justin, do you think it's feasible to do this
before the new site goes live?

Robert Treat

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 14:08, Ryan Mahoney wrote:
> I could help setting up a simple RSS syndicating script in PHP.  I have
> never done it before 8) but how hard could it be.  Just looking on
> freshmeat I found a number that look promising.
>
> http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=php+rss§ion=projects&x=10&y=13
>
> I don't know what content management system (if any) you all are
> currently using, but I am sure a cron can be written to export the data
> to the RSS script.
>
> -r
>
> On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 13:57, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Ryan Mahoney wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I think this is a great idea!  Similar to the weekly PHP wrap-up on
> > > zend.org.
> > >
> > > What do you think of the idea of setting up an RSS feed so other sites
> > > can subscribe to syndicated postgres news content in an XML format (I
> > > believe slashdot and newsforge do this).
> >
> > Now thats *another* very good idea.
> >
> > Any idea how it should be put together?
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Regards and best wishes,
> >
> > Justin Clift

Re: Is is worth organising a

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Justin,

I will  commit to writing a monthly, or a shorter bi-weekly, column for a
newsletter.  I know that I haven't been keeping up the Adventures in
PostgreSQL on Techdocs; having a deadline would get me moving.

-Josh

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Is is worth organising a

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Josh,

This is definitely a good idea.

The format the MySQL Newsletter (and others like the Mandrake
Newsletter, etc) seemed to be useful, with a short 1 sentence or 1
paragraph summary and an URL to the full article on the website.

We should probably also experiment with this kind of approach.  Perhaps
continuing with the Adventures in PostgreSQL series, and using that in
the newsletter in this fashion would be the best way or doing things?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Josh Berkus wrote:

> Justin,
>
> I will  commit to writing a monthly, or a shorter bi-weekly, column for a
> newsletter.  I know that I haven't been keeping up the Adventures in
> PostgreSQL on Techdocs; having a deadline would get me moving.
>
> -Josh
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Is is worth organising a

From
Nicolas Pettiaux - AEL
Date:
Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> This is definitely a good idea.
>
> The format the MySQL Newsletter (and others like the Mandrake
> Newsletter, etc) seemed to be useful, with a short 1 sentence or 1
> paragraph summary and an URL to the full article on the website.
>
> We should probably also experiment with this kind of approach.  Perhaps
> continuing with the Adventures in PostgreSQL series, and using that in
> the newsletter in this fashion would be the best way or doing things?
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>>Justin,
>>
>>I will  commit to writing a monthly, or a shorter bi-weekly, column for a
>>newsletter.  I know that I haven't been keeping up the Adventures in
>>PostgreSQL on Techdocs; having a deadline would get me moving.

Good thanks, I am already looking forward to reading it ... and
translating it to French.

Putting action next to verbs , I have already created

http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/PostgresqlAdvocacy

inside the wiki setup by the AEL, the Belgian association for the
promotion of human rights in the information society, in fact working
very much at the promotion of free software in Belgium.

So far the wiki is freely editable but this can be changed if you will :
to edit, just click "edit" in the lower right corner.

I ahev already put some ideas that have circulated in the ML and another
that I copy here:

* publish the newsletter with translations, just like ?MandrakeClub
Newsletter and Brave GNU World (http://www.gnu.org/brave-gnu-world/)
that can be reproduced freely in paper magazine, and allow for
interedted people to subscribe in their language of choice
(NicolasPettiaux, 31/10/2002 15:16)

I am ready to translate the document to French and I suppose I can find
translator to Dutch.

Regards,

nicolas

--
Nicolas Pettiaux
Association électronique libre pour la promotion des

Re: Is is worth organising a

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 31 Oct 2002 at 15:21, Nicolas Pettiaux - AEL wrote:

> Putting action next to verbs , I have already created
>
> http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/PostgresqlAdvocacy
>
> inside the wiki setup by the AEL, the Belgian association for the
> promotion of human rights in the information society, in fact working
> very much at the promotion of free software in Belgium.

I have added couple of suggestion in particular with LUGs. I can forward these
news letter to at least two LUGs I have subscribed to. That should cover some
1500 subscribers all in all. They will get to read this at their door steps.

I am also attaching a psotgresql 101 that I was planning to write for a long
time. It's just a two page document that gets up a person running in 5
minutes. I remember searching thr. docs for couple fo days to get everything
together. I hope this will allow people to get a speedy head start.

I don't know if it should go to advocacy or doc. But either place looks equally
good to me. Make a flyer out of this 101 and hand over to potential users..;-)

Let me know your comments.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
May's Law:    The quality of correlation is inversly proportional to the density
of control.  (The fewer the data points, the smoother the curves.)

Postgresql 101

This is to help people start with postgresql in matter of minutes.

Following are some simple assumptions made here.

* The OS is unix like
* Postgresql is already installed on the system

Starting postgresql from scratch

1) Log in as any OS user. This user will be database super user and it
can not be OS user root. Typically this user is called as 'postgres' or 'pgsql'.
But it can be any other user as well

2) Export environment variable PGDATA to a directory where database is to be located and
call initdb to create initial database template.

e.g.
$ export PGDATA=/mnt1/dbs/postgresql
$ initdb

This will create a template database in /mnt1/dbs/postgresql. For all practical purposes,
consider this directory opeque unless you know what you are doing.

When initdb is finished, it will tell you how to start postgresql server as last part of
initdb mesages

--------------------------
Success. You can now start the database server using:

    /usr/bin/postmaster -D /mnt1/dbs/postgresql
or
    /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /mnt1/dbs/postgresql -l logfile start
--------------------------

So you should now start the database serevr as indicated by last message. Using pg_ctl is
the simplest way of doing that.

4) Create a database to start with.

$ createdb test
CREATE DATABASE
$

5) Start using it with postgresql terminal sql client.

$psql test
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

test=#

At this point, you can use all the commands shown in postgresql manual. Enjoy!

Some useful tips

1) Shutting down the database

* Log in as database super user. It's the OS user who ran initdb etc. in above steps
* Use pg_ctl to stop the database

$ pg_ctl -D mnt1/dbs/postgresql stop

2) Start postgresql with network option.

Postgresql by default does not listen on network. To make it do so, you need to pass '-i' option to it.
The pg_ctl command will be modified to look like

$ /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /mnt1/dbs/postgresql -l logfile -oi start

3)Tuning postgresql

Many paramters that postgresql uses can be modified using configuration file $PGDATA/postgresql.conf
The configuration file is well documented. Read the administrators guide as well.

If you are looking for any heavy duty work, keep in mind that postgresql defaults are very conservative
and are not meant for any heavy duty work. Please tune the system before you put load.

4) Users in postgresql

You can create databases in postgresql and users. But unlike some other RDBMS, users in postgresql are
global i.e. same username/password can be used to connect to any database in system. Rights granted to
any users are of course can be tuned but there is nothing like a user in a particular database

Re: Is is worth organising a

From
Nicolas Pettiaux - AEL
Date:
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 31 Oct 2002 at 15:21, Nicolas Pettiaux - AEL wrote:
>

>>Putting action next to verbs , I have already created
>>
>>http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/PostgresqlAdvocacy
>>
>>inside the wiki setup by the AEL, the Belgian association for the
>>promotion of human rights in the information society, in fact working
>>very much at the promotion of free software in Belgium.
>

> I have added couple of suggestion in particular with LUGs. I can forward these
> news letter to at least two LUGs I have subscribed to. That should cover some
> 1500 subscribers all in all. They will get to read this at their door steps.

Thanks

Please do not hesitate to create an account for yourself.

I have just created one for you, Shridhar. Just use
ShridharDaithankar (no password required) to sign in

You have automatically a "personnal page" created as
http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/ShridharDaithankar (where I put basic
information)

This is easier (but not compulsory) to know who did what.

I put it in http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/PostgresQL101
> I hope this will allow people to get a speedy head start.
We'll see :-)

> I don't know if it should go to advocacy or doc. But either place looks equally
> good to me. Make a flyer out of this 101 and hand over to potential users..;-)
>
> Let me know your comments.

Thank you for your input.

Nicolas

--

Date:
On 31 Oct 2002 at 16:26, Nicolas Pettiaux - AEL wrote:
> Please do not hesitate to create an account for yourself.
>
> I have just created one for you, Shridhar. Just use
> ShridharDaithankar (no password required) to sign in
>
> You have automatically a "personnal page" created as
> http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/ShridharDaithankar (where I put basic
> information)
>
> This is easier (but not compulsory) to know who did what.

Oh thank you very much.

> I put it in http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/PostgresQL101
> > I hope this will allow people to get a speedy head start.
> We'll see :-)

I have updated it with some additional information plus correcting some typos,
better formatting etc.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
The Seventh Commandments for Technicians:    Work thou not on energized equipment,
for if thou dost, thy fellow    workers will surely buy beers for thy widow and

Re: Is is worth organising a

From
Nicolas Pettiaux
Date:
Le Vendredi 1 Novembre 2002 07:59, Shridhar Daithankar a écrit :

> > I put it in http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/PostgresQL101
> >
> > > I hope this will allow people to get a speedy head start.
> >
> > We'll see :-)
>
> I have updated it with some additional information plus correcting some
> typos, better formatting etc.

Good

Reading it again, I think we need links to using postgresql in office
applications for example with odbc links to staroffice or better openoffice.

One application that is often considered missing in the office space is a
equivalent to M$ Access.

For me the combinaison; OOo + Pgsql offers many of the desired features
(included a true DB backend that M$ Access lacks)

Having a aplication used by office users can rapidly leads to a large adoption

Regards,

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Pettiaux
Association électronique libre pour la promotion des
droits de l'Homme dans la Société de l'information (AEL) -
www.ael.be

Re: Is is worth organising a

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2002 at 16:26, Nicolas Pettiaux - AEL wrote:
<snip>
> > I put it in http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/PostgresQL101
> > > I hope this will allow people to get a speedy head start.
> > We'll see :-)
<snip>

Is there any way to change the page name to be correct?

I.e. "PostgresQL" is a typo... to be really correct it should be
"PostgreSQL".

Sorry for being picky...

;-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Is is worth organising a

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 1 Nov 2002 at 8:17, Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:

> Le Vendredi 1 Novembre 2002 07:59, Shridhar Daithankar a écrit :
> Good
>
> Reading it again, I think we need links to using postgresql in office
> applications for example with odbc links to staroffice or better openoffice.
>
> One application that is often considered missing in the office space is a
> equivalent to M$ Access.
>
> For me the combinaison; OOo + Pgsql offers many of the desired features
> (included a true DB backend that M$ Access lacks)
>
> Having a aplication used by office users can rapidly leads to a large adoption

Agreed. I have a linux box here and my workstation is XP. Will give it a shot
and come out with step by step guide to get things done. I am not sure I will
be able to do that for unixODBC, at least for the moment.

 Will keep you guys posted.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
It would be illogical to assume that all conditions remain stable.        -- Spock,
"The Enterprise" Incident", stardate 5027.3

Re: Is is worth organising a

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2002 at 8:17, Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:
<snip>
> > For me the combinaison; OOo + Pgsql offers many of the desired features
> > (included a true DB backend that M$ Access lacks)
> >
> > Having a aplication used by office users can rapidly leads to a large adoption
>
> Agreed. I have a linux box here and my workstation is XP. Will give it a shot
> and come out with step by step guide to get things done. I am not sure I will
> be able to do that for unixODBC, at least for the moment.

Cool.  If you can get a good guide to OpenOffice.org + PostgreSQL
happening, then the OpenOffice.org guys will definitely want to add it
to their site (and we can post links to that to reduce duplication).

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

>  Will keep you guys posted.
>
> Bye
>  Shridhar
>
> --
> It would be illogical to assume that all conditions remain stable.              -- Spock,
> "The Enterprise" Incident", stardate 5027.3

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Is is worth organising a

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Justin, Shridhar,

> Cool.  If you can get a good guide to OpenOffice.org + PostgreSQL
> happening, then the OpenOffice.org guys will definitely want to add
> it
> to their site (and we can post links to that to reduce duplication).

I'd swear that there already is one, somewhere.  I'll look; if not, I
need to write one as a member of both projects, hey?

Regarding MS Access replacement:

Both PGAccess (www.pgaccess.org) and OpenOffice.org are working on this
from opposite ends, and I'd judge are 60-70% of the way there.   In the
new beta, OpenOffice.org will have a "Form Wizard" and a "Report
Wizard" as well as the data browser and related capabilites.   There is
supposed to be a native (SDBC) Postgres driver in development.  I don't
know what the status of this is.

For PGAccess, there is already some capability to design tcl/tk forms
and reports from PGAccess, using an interface remarkably like FoxPro or
Paradox9, if anyone here knows those apps.  It's just buggy as
all-get-out right now, and undocumented (the latter being partially my
fault).

And for those inclined to pay licensing fees, there's always Kylix, or
MSAccess itself.  I did experiment with the Kompany's Rekall, but that
tool is really built for MySQL and has some problems with Postgres.

Actually, I'd say that PGAccess has great possibilites as a real MS
Access-killer, this year even, if some commercial company were to
produce a polished, supported version.

-Josh Berkus

Re: Is is worth organising a "PostgreSQL Newsletter"?

From
elein
Date:
Neil (et al),

The kernel traffic sounds great.  In previous mail I had said I
was interested in doing a column from pg-general items.

Are you going to do this on the wiki that Nicolas set up?
If so, I would follow suit, however, I won't be able to start until
the week after next due to other obligations.

elein
elein@norcov.com

elein wrote:

> Neil (et al),
>
> The kernel traffic sounds great.  In previous mail I had said I
> was interested in doing a column from pg-general items.
>
> Are you going to do this on the wiki that Nicolas set up?
> If so, I would follow suit, however, I won't be able to start until
> the week after next due to other obligations.

Not sure where Neil want to do it, but am intent on adding Wiki
facilities to the Techdocs site, and it might be a better centralised
place for it.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> elein
> elein@norcov.com

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Is is worth organising a "PostgreSQL Newsletter"?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Justin,

> Not sure where Neil want to do it, but am intent on adding Wiki
> facilities to the Techdocs site, and it might be a better centralised
> place for it.

Can someone explain to me what, exactly, is a "wiki"?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Justin,
>
> > Not sure where Neil want to do it, but am intent on adding Wiki
> > facilities to the Techdocs site, and it might be a better centralised
> > place for it.
>
> Can someone explain to me what, exactly, is a "wiki"?

It's a collaborative infrastructure such that if you visit the page and
(for example) notice a typo, you can click the "Edit" button and fix the
typo yourself.  Or add a new page.  Or extend someone elses article.  Or
a bunch of people can all work on a "PostgreSQL Tuning Guide", etc.

Am new to Wiki's myself, but they seem to be *extremely* beneficial when
implemented correctly (i.e. authorised users, etc).

Just has to be done properly (like anything).

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Wikis

From
elein
Date:
The last wiki I worked with was TWIKI.  It was pretty good,
easy to use, etc.  I recommend it.  I've also worked with
wikiwiki but that was a while ago.

One comment on wikis--they should never be confused with
published documentation.  Either they are completely the
published documentation or they are the place to *talk* about
the documentation.  Scattering "official" information is a hazard with
wikis.  This is from experience.  I have used wikis both for
The Documentation and as an adjunct to documentation.  It is just
important to make the distinction.  People will update the wiki
and forget to propagate the info the the official docs.  This is
a social, not a technical problem, though.

elein
elein@norcov.com

On Friday 01 November 2002 16:25, Justin Clift wrote:
> elein wrote:
> > Neil (et al),
> >
> > The kernel traffic sounds great.  In previous mail I had said I
> > was interested in doing a column from pg-general items.
> >
> > Are you going to do this on the wiki that Nicolas set up?
> > If so, I would follow suit, however, I won't be able to start until
> > the week after next due to other obligations.
>
> Not sure where Neil want to do it, but am intent on adding Wiki
> facilities to the Techdocs site, and it might be a better centralised
> place for it.
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>
> > elein
> > elein@norcov.com

Re: Wikis

From
Justin Clift
Elein wrote:

> The last wiki I worked with was TWIKI.  It was pretty good,
> easy to use, etc.  I recommend it.  I've also worked with
> wikiwiki but that was a while ago.

Am looking at Zwiki at the moment.  Have downloaded phpwiki, but Zwiki
seems further along the development path and already able to do what's
needed.

It runs on Zope, but that shouldn't be very hard to run with Apache
using Apache as the front end.

Was looking at Drupal initially (it's supposed to work with PostgreSQL
now) before getting into the Wiki side of things, but Drupal's
PostgreSQL functionality isn't yet stable enough for decent production
usage... and it doesn't seem to even be in the same ballpark with
regards to collaborative development.  :(

> One comment on wikis--they should never be confused with
> published documentation.  Either they are completely the
> published documentation or they are the place to *talk* about
> the documentation.  Scattering "official" information is a hazard with
> wikis.  This is from experience.  I have used wikis both for
> The Documentation and as an adjunct to documentation.  It is just
> important to make the distinction.  People will update the wiki
> and forget to propagate the info the the official docs.  This is
> a social, not a technical problem, though.

Yep.  Am thinking that we'll have to establish a few simple guidelines,
and this should really help.  Our community members are predominately
team players, so this should help.

:-)

A "lets try it out and see how we can best make it work for us"
mentality is in operation here at present.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> elein
> elein@norcov.com
>
> On Friday 01 November 2002 16:25, Justin Clift wrote:
> > elein wrote:
> > > Neil (et al),
> > >
> > > The kernel traffic sounds great.  In previous mail I had said I
> > > was interested in doing a column from pg-general items.
> > >
> > > Are you going to do this on the wiki that Nicolas set up?
> > > If so, I would follow suit, however, I won't be able to start until
> > > the week after next due to other obligations.
> >
> > Not sure where Neil want to do it, but am intent on adding Wiki
> > facilities to the Techdocs site, and it might be a better centralised
> > place for it.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Regards and best wishes,
> >
> > Justin Clift
> >
> > > elein
> > > elein@norcov.com

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Wikis

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Justin,

> A "lets try it out and see how we can best make it work for us"
> mentality is in operation here at present.

Not that it helps for Wiki functionality, but the president of Bricolage is a
pretty active member of the PostgreSQL community, and would probably donate a
copy of their content management system if we asked him.  Bricolage may be a
little "big" for our needs, though.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Wikis

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Justin,
>
> > A "lets try it out and see how we can best make it work for us"
> > mentality is in operation here at present.
>
> Not that it helps for Wiki functionality, but the president of Bricolage is a
> pretty active member of the PostgreSQL community, and would probably donate a
> copy of their content management system if we asked him.  Bricolage may be a
> little "big" for our needs, though.

Yep, considered that.  Asked on the CMS list (there's a mailing list for
CMS systems with about 2k members on it), and the majority of responses
recommended a Wiki after telling them exactly what was needed.  :)

Additionally, a couple of other commercial places also offered to let us
use their CMS system at no cost which is nice.

So, if the Wiki idea can't be beaten into shape, there are backup
methods available.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Wikis

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 04:59:50PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Not that it helps for Wiki functionality, but the president of
> Bricolage is a pretty active member of the PostgreSQL community,
> and would probably donate a copy of their content management system
> if we asked him.

As far as I know, you don't need to get him to donate.  From
<http://bricolage.cc>:

"Bricolage is a full-featured, open-source content-management and
publishing system."

It appears to be under BSD:

<http://bricolage.cc/docs/Bric/License.html>

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Wikis

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 2 Nov 2002 at 11:55, Justin Clift wrote:

> Elein wrote:
> >
> > The last wiki I worked with was TWIKI.  It was pretty good,
> > easy to use, etc.  I recommend it.  I've also worked with
> > wikiwiki but that was a while ago.
>
> Am looking at Zwiki at the moment.  Have downloaded phpwiki, but Zwiki
> seems further along the development path and already able to do what's
> needed.

I would also suggest looking at OPT(http://sourceforge.net/projects/outreach).
It's a project management tool and canbe used to track documents. We could
grant guest access to everybody so that they can use it.

Agreed, it workes on mysql but it could easily be ported to postgresql. I di a
schema migration couple of months back but that is couple of versions behind as
well.

in favour of TWiki, I think OPT is a better organised tool. Besides we can
integrate multiple projects at one go, saving somebody else from designing the
site all oevr again..

I used to work on it because we were trying to use it here. But couldn't
continue that work. If you guys are picking it up, I can contribute to it as
well.

Just a thought.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Your job is being a professor and researcher: That's one hell of a good
excusefor some of the brain-damages of minix.(Linus Torvalds to Andrew