Governance directory page for pg.o

From
Joe Conway
Date:
As discussed during the PGConf.dev developer meeting, here is a first
pass attempt at a patch for pg.o to add a "Governance Directory" page,
along with a few supporting new pages. Specifically it proposes to move
the "Committers" and "Sysadmin" pages off the wiki and onto pg.o, and
adds pages for the Contributors Committee and Recognized Contributors
Policy (as discussed back in February at FOSDEM).

There is more that can and should be done here, but I was hoping to get
this set of changes in place before trying to boil the ocean.
* More/missing teams/committees
* Add "how to volunteer/help" to individual team pages
* Other stuff?

Comments/thoughts/flames?

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Re: Governance directory page for pg.o

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 19 Jun 2024, at 15:50, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

> There is more that can and should be done here, but I was hoping to get this set of changes in place before trying to
boilthe ocean.

+1

> Comments/thoughts/flames?

Looks good from a quick read.

+  Generally, new committers are selected March or April and announced at
+  PGConf.dev (and historically its predecessor PGCon).

That's not entirely correct anymore, it should probably be "on the -hackers
mailing list" or something similar?

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Date:
On 6/19/24 09:56, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 19 Jun 2024, at 15:50, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
>
>> There is more that can and should be done here, but I was hoping to get this set of changes in place before trying
toboil the ocean.

> +1
>
>> Comments/thoughts/flames?
>
> Looks good from a quick read.
>
> +  Generally, new committers are selected March or April and announced at
> +  PGConf.dev (and historically its predecessor PGCon).
>
> That's not entirely correct anymore, it should probably be "on the -hackers
> mailing list" or something similar?

Yeah -- I lifted that directly from the wiki page, but will fix.

--

Date:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> On 6/19/24 09:56, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> That's not entirely correct anymore, it should probably be "on the -hackers
>> mailing list" or something similar?

> Yeah -- I lifted that directly from the wiki page, but will fix.

Also, "added ... by the Core Team" doesn't really describe the
committer selection process anymore either.  It should read
more like "New committers are added approximately annually
after discussions and vote among the existing committers".

In principle I think core retains a right of veto, but I would
be pretty astonished if there were ever a desire to exercise it
(nor would I care to bet on the outcome if that did happen).

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On 6/19/24 11:10, Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
>> On 6/19/24 09:56, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> That's not entirely correct anymore, it should probably be "on the -hackers
>>> mailing list" or something similar?
>
>> Yeah -- I lifted that directly from the wiki page, but will fix.
>
> Also, "added ... by the Core Team" doesn't really describe the
> committer selection process anymore either.  It should read
> more like "New committers are added approximately annually
> after discussions and vote among the existing committers".

Thanks -- I updated the wiki as well as my locally patched copy of pg.o.

What is the process for getting pgweb changes committed? Assuming there
is consensus, can I go ahead and push them? Or put another way, who are
the pgweb committers?

> In principle I think core retains a right of veto, but I would
> be pretty astonished if there were ever a desire to exercise it
> (nor would I care to bet on the outcome if that did happen).

Fair enough. I think the Core team right-to-veto applies to pretty much
every aspect of the project, so maybe we don't need to state it all over
the place. Should we add a statement to that effect to the bulleted list
here?

   https://www.postgresql.org/developer/core/

--

Date:
> On 19 Jun 2024, at 18:54, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

> What is the process for getting pgweb changes committed?

It's usually done in roughly the same was as for the main repo, once the patch
is reviewed and +1'd on the list it can go in.

> Assuming there is consensus, can I go ahead and push them?

+1 from me. I have a few comments on the markup to make it valid HTML:

+</p>
+</p>

Double closing tags.

+<p>
+  The current members are:
+  <ul>

<ul> is defined as flow content and not allowed inside a <p> paragraph.  You
need to end the paragrapg after "are:". Same thing in a few more places.

+    <li>Álvaro Herrera</li>

Should use HTML entities: Álvaro Herrera

+  <a href="about/sponsors/">Sponsors</a> pages, not here.

Should this be /about/sponsors/ ?

> Or put another way, who are the pgweb committers?

If you don't have a commit bit for pgweb, you can ping myself, Jonathan,
Magnus, Stefan or Dave.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Date:
On 6/19/24 14:09, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 19 Jun 2024, at 18:54, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
>
>> What is the process for getting pgweb changes committed?
>
> It's usually done in roughly the same was as for the main repo, once the patch
> is reviewed and +1'd on the list it can go in.
>
>> Assuming there is consensus, can I go ahead and push them?
>
> +1 from me. I have a few comments on the markup to make it valid HTML:
>
> +</p>
> +</p>

good catch, thanks

> Double closing tags.
>
> +<p>
> +  The current members are:
> +  <ul>
>
> <ul> is defined as flow content and not allowed inside a <p> paragraph.  You
> need to end the paragrapg after "are:". Same thing in a few more places.

Admittedly I had no idea about this requirement. In fact I actively
placed them all inside the paragraphs -- will fix :-)

> +    <li>Álvaro Herrera</li>
>
> Should use HTML entities: Álvaro Herrera

check

> +  <a href="about/sponsors/">Sponsors</a> pages, not here.
>
> Should this be /about/sponsors/ ?

probably -- will fix

>> Or put another way, who are the pgweb committers?
>
> If you don't have a commit bit for pgweb, you can ping myself, Jonathan,
> Magnus, Stefan or Dave.

Being on sysadmins I may have the ability to commit, but not necessarily
the right to do so ;-)

I will post another patch with these fixes, and then if you want me to
push I will give it a try, or else if you prefer me to defer to one of
the rightful committers I can do that too.

--

Date:
On 6/19/24 14:58, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 6/19/24 14:09, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> If you don't have a commit bit for pgweb, you can ping myself, Jonathan,
>> Magnus, Stefan or Dave.
>
> Being on sysadmins I may have the ability to commit, but not necessarily
> the right to do so ;-)
>
> I will post another patch with these fixes, and then if you want me to
> push I will give it a try, or else if you prefer me to defer to one of
> the rightful committers I can do that too.

This version addresses your comments. I found a few other places where I
had similar infelicities and fixed those too.

Any other comments or concerns?

--

Date:
> On 19 Jun 2024, at 22:01, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/19/24 14:58, Joe Conway wrote:
>> On 6/19/24 14:09, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> If you don't have a commit bit for pgweb, you can ping myself, Jonathan,
>>> Magnus, Stefan or Dave.
>> Being on sysadmins I may have the ability to commit, but not necessarily
>> the right to do so ;-)
>> I will post another patch with these fixes, and then if you want me to
>> push I will give it a try, or else if you prefer me to defer to one of
>> the rightful committers I can do that too.
>
> This version addresses your comments. I found a few other places where I had similar infelicities and fixed those
too.

> Any other comments or concerns?

LGTM, thanks!

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Date:
On 6/19/24 16:08, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 19 Jun 2024, at 22:01, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

>>> Being on sysadmins I may have the ability to commit, but not necessarily
>>> the right to do so ;-)
>>> I will post another patch with these fixes, and then if you want me to
>>> push I will give it a try, or else if you prefer me to defer to one of
>>> the rightful committers I can do that too.
>>
>> This version addresses your comments. I found a few other places where I had similar infelicities and fixed those
too.

>> Any other comments or concerns?
>
> LGTM, thanks!

Looks like I have push access on pgweb-static due to my sysadmin
release-day duties, but not pgweb itself. So someone else will need to
push the changes unless I am told to give myself access ;-)

--

Date:
> On 19 Jun 2024, at 22:32, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/19/24 16:08, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> This version addresses your comments. I found a few other places where I had similar infelicities and fixed those
too.
>>> Any other comments or concerns?
>> LGTM, thanks!
>
> Looks like I have push access on pgweb-static due to my sysadmin release-day duties, but not pgweb itself. So someone
elsewill need to push the changes unless I am told to give myself access ;-)

While it's not my call, personally as a pgweb committer I think your commitbit
should cover pgweb as well.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Governance directory page for pg.o

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 10:53 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 19 Jun 2024, at 22:32, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/19/24 16:08, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> This version addresses your comments. I found a few other places where I had similar infelicities and fixed those too.
>>> Any other comments or concerns?
>> LGTM, thanks!
>
> Looks like I have push access on pgweb-static due to my sysadmin release-day duties, but not pgweb itself. So someone else will need to push the changes unless I am told to give myself access ;-)

While it's not my call, personally as a pgweb committer I think your commitbit
should cover pgweb as well.

--

Re: Governance directory page for pg.o

From
Dave Page

On Wed, 19 Jun 2024 at 22:01, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 10:53 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 19 Jun 2024, at 22:32, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/19/24 16:08, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> This version addresses your comments. I found a few other places where I had similar infelicities and fixed those too.
>>> Any other comments or concerns?
>> LGTM, thanks!
>
> Looks like I have push access on pgweb-static due to my sysadmin release-day duties, but not pgweb itself. So someone else will need to push the changes unless I am told to give myself access ;-)

While it's not my call, personally as a pgweb committer I think your commitbit
should cover pgweb as well.

+1 - go for it.

--

Re: Governance directory page for pg.o

Date:
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2024 at 22:01, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> While it's not my call, personally as a pgweb committer I think your
>>> commitbit should cover pgweb as well.

>> +1.

> +1 - go for it.

+1 --- give yourself that commit bit.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Governance directory page for pg.o

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On 6/20/24 4:07 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>> On Wed, 19 Jun 2024 at 22:01, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 10:53 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se>

>>> +1.
>
>> +1 - go for it.
>
> +1 --- give yourself that commit bit.

+1 on pushing the patch, +0 on commit bit due to Joe & I working
together at $DAYJOB.

Jonathan

Attachment

Date:
On 6/20/24 08:18, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 6/20/24 4:07 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:

>>> +1 - go for it.
>>
>> +1 --- give yourself that commit bit.
>
> +1 on pushing the patch, +0 on commit bit due to Joe & I working
> together at $DAYJOB.

Pushed. It looks good to me -- please let me know if you see anything off.

Since the committers[1] and sysadmin[2] pages are now on pg.o, shall I
remove them from the wiki? Or wait some amount of time?

Thanks,

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/developer/committers/
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/about/governance/sysadmin/
--

On Thu, 20 Jun 2024 at 14:55, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
On 6/20/24 08:18, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 6/20/24 4:07 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:

>>> +1 - go for it.
>>
>> +1 --- give yourself that commit bit.
>
> +1 on pushing the patch, +0 on commit bit due to Joe & I working
> together at $DAYJOB.

Pushed. It looks good to me -- please let me know if you see anything off.

Since the committers[1] and sysadmin[2] pages are now on pg.o, shall I
remove them from the wiki? Or wait some amount of time?

I'd clear them out, and replace the content with a link to the new pages.

We'll have the history anyway.

Thanks!

--

Date:
On 6/20/24 10:21, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2024 at 14:55, Joe Conway wrote:
>     Since the committers[1] and sysadmin[2] pages are now on pg.o, shall I
>     remove them from the wiki? Or wait some amount of time?
>
> I'd clear them out, and replace the content with a link to the new pages.

Oh, right. Yeah I was actually planning to suggest that and then

--

Date:
On 6/20/24 11:08, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 6/20/24 10:21, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Jun 2024 at 14:55, Joe Conway wrote:
>>     Since the committers[1] and sysadmin[2] pages are now on pg.o, shall I
>>     remove them from the wiki? Or wait some amount of time?
>>
>> I'd clear them out, and replace the content with a link to the new pages.
>
> Oh, right. Yeah I was actually planning to suggest that and then
> promptly forgot when I wrote that email. Will do :-)

And done:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Infrastructure_team
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Committers

--

On Thu, 20 Jun 2024 at 16:23, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
On 6/20/24 11:08, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 6/20/24 10:21, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Jun 2024 at 14:55, Joe Conway wrote:
>>     Since the committers[1] and sysadmin[2] pages are now on pg.o, shall I
>>     remove them from the wiki? Or wait some amount of time?
>>
>> I'd clear them out, and replace the content with a link to the new pages.
>
> Oh, right. Yeah I was actually planning to suggest that and then
> promptly forgot when I wrote that email. Will do :-)

And done:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Infrastructure_team
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Committers

Thanks for handling this!

--

Date:
On 6/20/24 11:27 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jun 2024 at 16:23, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com
> <mailto:mail@joeconway.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 6/20/24 11:08, Joe Conway wrote:
>      > On 6/20/24 10:21, Dave Page wrote:
>      >> On Thu, 20 Jun 2024 at 14:55, Joe Conway wrote:
>      >>     Since the committers[1] and sysadmin[2] pages are now on
>     pg.o, shall I
>      >>     remove them from the wiki? Or wait some amount of time?
>      >>
>      >> I'd clear them out, and replace the content with a link to the
>     new pages.
>      >
>      > Oh, right. Yeah I was actually planning to suggest that and then
>      > promptly forgot when I wrote that email. Will do :-)
>
>     And done:
>
>     https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Infrastructure_team
>     <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Infrastructure_team>
>     https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Committers
>     <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Committers>
>

> Thanks for handling this!

+100; this is a step forward in highlighting how people contribute to
PostgreSQL and recognizing their efforts. That said, there's still work
to do on that front, and looking forward to the next patches ;)

Jonathan

Attachment