pgfoundry is down

From
Kris Jurka
Date:
pgfoundry is down

Kris Jurka

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 03:27:51PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> - --On Friday, November 09, 2007 14:22:24 -0500 Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com>
> wrote:
>

> > pgfoundry is down
>
> Yup, I'm moving it to IO so taht I can reformat the server it is on now to free
> up 75G of disk space so that nagios doesn't keep complaining about low disk
> space ...

I don't mean to be cranky, but it'd have been nice to accomplish all the
work needed for pgfoundry _before_ shutting down gborg.

From watching much of the recent events from the sidelines, one might be
excused in forming the impression that many things are happening as
emergencies.  We seem to have an awful lot of emergencies lately.  Is
something going on?

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of magic smoke

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> --On Friday, November 09, 2007 14:22:24 -0500 Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com>
> wrote:
>
>> pgfoundry is down
>
> Yup, I'm moving it to IO so taht I can reformat the server it is on now to free
> up 75G of disk space so that nagios doesn't keep complaining about low disk
> space ...
>
> should be back up in a few minutes, just finishing a final rsync ...

Uh, I thought you said no pg servers would be affected by that? Did I
misunderstand you, or did something happen along the way?

//Magnus

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

- ----

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 03:47:47PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> PgFoundry was down for ~10 minutes to move it from one server to the other
> server oso that the server it was on could be reformatted ... gborg was on that
> same server, so if gborg was 'still up', it too would have had to be moved ...

So am I just missing the announcements of these planned outages?  It
wouldn't surprise me if I were.  But if not, then I think we need to come up
with some sort of plan of how such things are to be done in the future.

There are three possibilities.  One is that these are all announced
correctly, and I'm just missing them somehow, in which case ignore me.
Another is that the recent activities were _planned_ outages, in which case
I suggest that some more effort needs to go into informing the community
about deadlines, schedules, and service outages.  The third is that things
are happening in response to emergencies, in which case I want to know what
we can do to stop having emergencies.

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> I put out an announcement several days ago that I would be doing work on
> neptune that would cause some disruptions to clients on Saturday (ie.
> extended downtime) ... Magnus confirmed with me that this wouldn't affect
> any of the Pg VPSs, but I wasn't clear in that although there would be no
> extended downtime for the Pg VPSs, that I still had to move the affected Pg
> VPSs *off* of the server being worked on ... my fault, I should have been
> more clear on that point ...

It would be nice to have a "planned outages" page somewhere which people could
check.  It would save us a bunch of answering e-mail, if nothing else.  And
the outage announcements could get carred in PWN if Fetter is amenable.

Question is, where should we host that page?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 09:39:44AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > I put out an announcement several days ago that I would be doing work on
> > neptune that would cause some disruptions to clients on Saturday (ie.
> > extended downtime) ... Magnus confirmed with me that this wouldn't affect
> > any of the Pg VPSs, but I wasn't clear in that although there would be no
> > extended downtime for the Pg VPSs, that I still had to move the affected Pg
> > VPSs *off* of the server being worked on ... my fault, I should have been
> > more clear on that point ...
>
> It would be nice to have a "planned outages" page somewhere which people could
> check.  It would save us a bunch of answering e-mail, if nothing else.  And
> the outage announcements could get carred in PWN if Fetter is amenable.
>
> Question is, where should we host that page?

I'da say there are two options - either on the main website, which is
mirrored globally, or on a completely independent system (not just it's own
vm, not even in the same datacenter as our other servers).

If we're gonig to do it, let's do it for real :-)

//Magnus

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 09:38:48AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:54:14 +0100
> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> hould we host that page?
> >
> > I'da say there are two options - either on the main website, which is
> > mirrored globally, or on a completely independent system (not just
> > it's own vm, not even in the same datacenter as our other servers).
> >
> > If we're gonig to do it, let's do it for real :-)
>
> What about pmt? Or even pgweb (since that wiki is open).

pgweb could work. But it's on the same datacenter as some other things, so
it would be a bad place to say "archives is down" or "search is down" or
so.

//Magnus

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 05:42:44PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> > Question is, where should we host that page?
>
> > I'da say there are two options - either on the main website, which is
> > mirrored globally, or on a completely independent system (not just it's own
> > vm, not even in the same datacenter as our other servers).
>
> +1 for independence. Sound to me like a wiki would be perfect for this
> as well. My company would be happy to host a wiki (or we could port the
> existing one over)

If you port the exiting wiki over, you lose independence, no?

Also, I think a wiki is a major overkill. All we need is a static webpage
that the infrastructure folks can edit, no?
Sure, that can be implemented by a wiki, but it just seems way way more
complicated than needed.

//Magnus

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> --On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 19:23:41 +0100 Magnus Hagander
> <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> +1 for independence. Sound to me like a wiki would be perfect for this
>>> as well. My company would be happy to host a wiki (or we could port the
>>> existing one over)
>
>> If you port the exiting wiki over, you lose independence, no?
>
>> Also, I think a wiki is a major overkill. All we need is a static webpage
>> that the infrastructure folks can edit, no?
>> Sure, that can be implemented by a wiki, but it just seems way way more
>> complicated than needed.
>
> Why not something that can just be RSS feed into the main site?

well it would be fairly easy to drive such a feed from our nagios
instance (and even extract stuff like scheduled downtime from it) ...

Stefan

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> If you port the exiting wiki over, you lose independence, no?
>
> Not really - I meant move the wiki to another completely independent
> server.

Well, there would be no place to announce wiki outages..

(I'm all for moving the wiki to a dedicated machine, don't get me wrong,
but that's a different thing)

>> Also, I think a wiki is a major overkill. All we need is a static webpage
>> that the infrastructure folks can edit, no?
>> Sure, that can be implemented by a wiki, but it just seems way way more
>> complicated than needed.
>
> A wiki is nice because:
>
> * It's dirt simple to edit

Debatable :-P, but yeah, for somethign like this, it's very simple.

> * It's easy to add and remove write permission to people

Yes.

> * There's an automatic history of all changes

Check.

> * It allows for quick organic growth. If we want to break the "Site Status"
>   page into "Website status" and "Mailing lists status", it's east to do so.

I'd consider that an anti-feature for a site like this, really :-P

> * It has email and rss alerts built in.

Yes.

> * It's easier for people to find.

*Huh*?
How does the software used determine how easy it is to find a URL?

> I'd love to see all project-related information like this in one place, and
> a wiki seems like the best way to do so. No reason to make yet another
> resource to maintain and keep track of.

If we want something to track when things don't work, this shouldn't be
in the same system as the things it's supposed to track. Or even on the
same server. Or even on the same network.

//Magnus

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>> --On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 19:23:41 +0100 Magnus Hagander
>> <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> If you port the exiting wiki over, you lose independence, no?
>>> Also, I think a wiki is a major overkill. All we need is a static webpage
>>> that the infrastructure folks can edit, no?
>>> Sure, that can be implemented by a wiki, but it just seems way way more
>>> complicated than needed.
>> Why not something that can just be RSS feed into the main site?

That's a good idea, IMO.

> well it would be fairly easy to drive such a feed from our nagios
> instance (and even extract stuff like scheduled downtime from it) ...

Not as sure about that one. Basically, not sure we want to publish the
automated stuff there, and Nagios really isn't a nice interface to do
edits from...

JD mentioned google calendar. Can you get an RSS feed from it? If so,
that might be a good idea actually - given that it's something that's
hosted entirely independent from our current infrastructure.

//Magnus

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> --On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 19:23:41 +0100 Magnus Hagander

>>> Why not something that can just be RSS feed into the main site?
>
> That's a good idea, IMO.

not disagreeing here :-)

>> well it would be fairly easy to drive such a feed from our nagios
>> instance (and even extract stuff like scheduled downtime from it) ...
>
> Not as sure about that one. Basically, not sure we want to publish the
> automated stuff there, and Nagios really isn't a nice interface to do
> edits from...

hmm well - there is certainly a lot of stuff on nagios that is probably
not appropriate for fully automatic publishing but we could say use the
nagios escalation feature for certain services and let that drive the feed.
as for editing - nagios has an fairly easy way to set a scheduled
downtime for a given host/service (imho more easy than to edit a wiki)
but that wont work for stuff not there or special cases ...

> JD mentioned google calendar. Can you get an RSS feed from it? If so,
> that might be a good idea actually - given that it's something that's
> hosted entirely independent from our current infrastructure.

hmm maybe - but that would be another completely new thing to deal with
for admins which I'm not too fond of ...

Stefan

Re: pgfoundry is down

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>>> well it would be fairly easy to drive such a feed from our nagios
>>> instance (and even extract stuff like scheduled downtime from it) ...
>>
>> Not as sure about that one. Basically, not sure we want to publish the
>> automated stuff there, and Nagios really isn't a nice interface to do
>> edits from...

> hmm well - there is certainly a lot of stuff on nagios that is probably
> not appropriate for fully automatic publishing but we could say use the
> nagios escalation feature for certain services and let that drive the feed.

Automated publication of status data on a public website scares me;
it seems like a great way to invite breakins.  (Black hat: "whaddya
know, their DNS server is down, maybe I can inject some bogus info.")

I'm for manual entries only on a public-facing page.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Tom Lane wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Not as sure about that one. Basically, not sure we want to publish the
>>> automated stuff there, and Nagios really isn't a nice interface to do
>>> edits from...
>
>> hmm well - there is certainly a lot of stuff on nagios that is probably
>> not appropriate for fully automatic publishing but we could say use the
>> nagios escalation feature for certain services and let that drive the feed.
>
> Automated publication of status data on a public website scares me;
> it seems like a great way to invite breakins.  (Black hat: "whaddya
> know, their DNS server is down, maybe I can inject some bogus info.")

well that would only include stuff that is publically available(or
rather a public facing service) anyway (there is nothing that stops
somebody to check the availability of say our DNS-servers or say of
wwwmaster by himself). There is at least one precedence for doing this too:

http://monitoring.apache.org/status/

> I'm for manual entries only on a public-facing page.

fair enough - I'm just not too happy about having too many things one
has to deal with in such a case (updating a wiki, scheduling
maintainance in nagios to avoid people getting alerted, send mail to
-www and -hackers, ...).
Too complex procedures will hurt and not encourage all involved people
to handle planned stuff in the way it should ...

Stefan

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 09:39:44AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > I put out an announcement several days ago that I would be doing
> > work on neptune that would cause some disruptions to clients on
> > Saturday (ie.  extended downtime) ... Magnus confirmed with me
> > that this wouldn't affect any of the Pg VPSs, but I wasn't clear
> > in that although there would be no extended downtime for the Pg
> > VPSs, that I still had to move the affected Pg VPSs *off* of the
> > server being worked on ... my fault, I should have been more clear
> > on that point ...
>
> It would be nice to have a "planned outages" page somewhere which
> people could check.  It would save us a bunch of answering e-mail,
> if nothing else.  And the outage announcements could get carred in
> PWN if Fetter is amenable.

I'd be delighted :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: pgfoundry is down

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> Well, there would be no place to announce wiki outages..
>
> Well, true, but if not the wiki, where would we announce outages to
> the outages list? :) I presume known upcoming wiki outages would be
> announced on the wiki, and actual downtime announced on the main page
> or lists. In actuality, I think wiki outages would be a very rare event.

*All* our outages should be rare events. Doesn't invalidate the point.

>>> * It's easier for people to find.
>
>> *Huh*?
>> How does the software used determine how easy it is to find a URL?
>
> I meant as far as one less URL for people to know about and track, rather
> than having yet another Postgres resource to feed and feed and publicize.

I think it's better to have a dedicated place - where project folks can
go. Then we feed it with RSS to the main site for "outsiders".

>> If we want something to track when things don't work, this shouldn't be
>> in the same system as the things it's supposed to track. Or even on the
>> same server. Or even on the same network.
>
> Agreed to a point, but I don't know that tracking the wiki is really that
> important when compared to the other things: web site, mirrors, cvs, lists,
> and bug tracker. (Just kidding on that last one.) Ideally, we'd insulate things
> even more widely than we have them right now, but we're moving in the right
> direction the last few years.
>
> Heck, we could even look at putting the wiki on two servers, with a database
> and web server on each one, with DNS pointing to each randomly. Could be a
> cool experiment.

Seems like an experiment is not what we want for this :-P

//Magnus

DNS (was: pgfoundry is down)

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 03:13:58PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> it seems like a great way to invite breakins.  (Black hat: "whaddya
> know, their DNS server is down, maybe I can inject some bogus info.")

If we ever have a complete DNS outage, then we need more DNS servers.  Which
reminds me, I had promised to try to get postgresql.org on the afilias name
server infrastructure (which, I assure you, had better _not_ ever be down).
Are people still interested in that?

Date:
On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 09:32:04PM +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> has to deal with in such a case (updating a wiki, scheduling
> maintainance in nagios to avoid people getting alerted, send mail to
> -www and -hackers, ...).

I think there is something to be said for the above point.  We don't want 10
minutes of emergency-panic-coping before actually coping with the emergency.
This is why I like the idea of a way to publish certain alerts
automatically.  (I don't think every time Nagios goes "bing" it oughta show
up on the website, but I don't think anyone was suggesting that either.)

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke

Re: DNS (was: pgfoundry is down)

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: DNS

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 03:13:58PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> it seems like a great way to invite breakins.  (Black hat: "whaddya
>> know, their DNS server is down, maybe I can inject some bogus info.")
>
> If we ever have a complete DNS outage, then we need more DNS servers.  Which
> reminds me, I had promised to try to get postgresql.org on the afilias name
> server infrastructure (which, I assure you, had better _not_ ever be down).
> Are people still interested in that?

What does that actually mean?

A well-distributed and always-up secondary? Or the master as well,
including a new management system?

//Magnus

Re: DNS (was: pgfoundry is down)

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 01:54:02PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> No, but thanks ... if Afilias could provide another backup, that would be cool
> for redundancy purposes ...

Right, it wasn't a wholesale replacement, but another set of nameservers.
We have currently five large nodes anycasted around the world, serving from
Amsterdam, Miami, Toronto, Seattle, and (in process of turn up this week)
Hong Kong.  If we added one or two nameservers to the NS set, then we should
get coverage from everywhere in the world.  So if people still want it, I'll
see what I can do.  (There are some rules about which IPs are allowed to be
used, so I'll have to make sure we can do it, but I can't see why not.)

Date:
On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 07:05:12PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> What does that actually mean?
>
> A well-distributed and always-up secondary? Or the master as well,
> including a new management system?

The former was what I'd offered to get permission for before.

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke

Re: DNS (was: pgfoundry is down)

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
I could provide a slave NS as well.

On 11/16/07, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 01:54:02PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> No, but thanks ... if Afilias could provide another backup, that would be cool
> for redundancy purposes ...

Right, it wasn't a wholesale replacement, but another set of nameservers.
We have currently five large nodes anycasted around the world, serving from
Amsterdam, Miami, Toronto, Seattle, and (in process of turn up this week)
Hong Kong.  If we added one or two nameservers to the NS set, then we should
get coverage from everywhere in the world.  So if people still want it, I'll
see what I can do.  (There are some rules about which IPs are allowed to be
used, so I'll have to make sure we can do it, but I can't see why not.)

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: DNS

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 07:05:12PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> What does that actually mean?
>>
>> A well-distributed and always-up secondary? Or the master as well,
>> including a new management system?
>
> The former was what I'd offered to get permission for before.

Then my vote is yes, please. I find it unlikely that we'll find a better
DNS provider doing it for us for free :-)

//Magnus

Re: DNS (was: pgfoundry is down)

From
"Marc G. Fournier"