Re: DNS (was: pgfoundry is down) - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: DNS (was: pgfoundry is down)
Date
List pgsql-www
On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 02:50:15PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > I could provide a slave NS as well.
>
> Sounds cool to me ... from what I can tell, a .org is allowed, what, 13 name
> servers?  Just let me know IP(s) to add, and I'll make the change ...

Nobody is allowed more than 13 name servers, because 13 is the rule of
thumb for when the answer will go over the protocol limit and cause fallback
to TCP.  (Actually, these days, it'll probably do EDNS0 instead, but
whatever.)

Anyway, the evidence seems to be that somewhere around 7 or 8, there's no
more benefit.  After that, one usually finds that some of the servers never
get any traffic at all, because most DNS servers are robust enough not to go
down very often, and recursive resolvers remember who gave them the answer
last time, and usually keep going there.

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke