Re: pgfoundry is down - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgfoundry is down
Date
DNS (was: pgfoundry is down)
List pgsql-www
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>>> well it would be fairly easy to drive such a feed from our nagios
>>> instance (and even extract stuff like scheduled downtime from it) ...
>>
>> Not as sure about that one. Basically, not sure we want to publish the
>> automated stuff there, and Nagios really isn't a nice interface to do
>> edits from...

> hmm well - there is certainly a lot of stuff on nagios that is probably
> not appropriate for fully automatic publishing but we could say use the
> nagios escalation feature for certain services and let that drive the feed.

Automated publication of status data on a public website scares me;
it seems like a great way to invite breakins.  (Black hat: "whaddya
know, their DNS server is down, maybe I can inject some bogus info.")

I'm for manual entries only on a public-facing page.
        regards, tom lane