New Chinese FAQ

Date:
I have added a Chinese FAQ to CVS.  Would you make changes so it shows
up on the web site?  Thanks.

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> I have added a Chinese FAQ to CVS.  Would you make changes so
> it shows up on the web site?  Thanks.

You have committed a plaintext version as FAQ_chinese.html, it seems.
You'll need to change that to actual HTML or remove it before the
website will show it.

//Magnus

Re: New Chinese FAQ

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > I have added a Chinese FAQ to CVS.  Would you make changes so
> > it shows up on the web site?  Thanks.
>
> You have committed a plaintext version as FAQ_chinese.html, it seems.
> You'll need to change that to actual HTML or remove it before the
> website will show it.

Thanks, fixed.

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > > I have added a Chinese FAQ to CVS.  Would you make changes so it
> > > shows up on the web site?  Thanks.
> >
> > You have committed a plaintext version as FAQ_chinese.html,
> it seems.
> > You'll need to change that to actual HTML or remove it before the
> > website will show it.
>
> Thanks, fixed.

Not quite ;-) Though it's closer.

It has windows linebreaks (^M), not sure if that affects things though.

Also, our script is a bit picky about the meta tags.
<META content="text/html; charset=gb_2312-80" http-equiv="Content-Type">
has to become
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; CHARSET=gb_2312-80">

(order is important. Case is not.)

.. but fixing that brings up another problem. The installation on
wwwmaster doesn't support gb_2312-80. It's the standard GNU iconv on
freebsd (AFAIK), it needs to be one of the charsets supported by it.
(The scripts converts it to UTF-8 for presentation inside our framework)

(iconv -l should bring it up, if you need it I can send a list of
available encodings)

//Magnus

Re: New Chinese FAQ

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > > You have committed a plaintext version as FAQ_chinese.html,
> > it seems.
> > > You'll need to change that to actual HTML or remove it before the
> > > website will show it.
> >
> > Thanks, fixed.
>
> Not quite ;-) Though it's closer.
>
> It has windows linebreaks (^M), not sure if that affects things though.
>
> Also, our script is a bit picky about the meta tags.
> <META content="text/html; charset=gb_2312-80" http-equiv="Content-Type">
> has to become
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; CHARSET=gb_2312-80">
>
> (order is important. Case is not.)

OK, above changes made.

> .. but fixing that brings up another problem. The installation on
> wwwmaster doesn't support gb_2312-80. It's the standard GNU iconv on
> freebsd (AFAIK), it needs to be one of the charsets supported by it.
> (The scripts converts it to UTF-8 for presentation inside our framework)
>
> (iconv -l should bring it up, if you need it I can send a list of
> available encodings)

Here's what I see on our FreeBSD server:

    $ iconv -l|grep  -i 2312
    CHINESE GB_2312-80 ISO-IR-58 CSISO58GB231280
    CN-GB EUC-CN EUCCN GB2312 CSGB2312
    HZ HZ-GB-2312

I see "GB2312". What does the "-80" mean in "gb_2312-80"?  Can we just
remove the "-80"?

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > .. but fixing that brings up another problem. The installation on
> > wwwmaster doesn't support gb_2312-80. It's the standard GNU
> iconv on
> > freebsd (AFAIK), it needs to be one of the charsets supported by it.
> > (The scripts converts it to UTF-8 for presentation inside our
> > framework)
> >
> > (iconv -l should bring it up, if you need it I can send a list of
> > available encodings)
>
> Here's what I see on our FreeBSD server:
>
>     $ iconv -l|grep  -i 2312
>     CHINESE GB_2312-80 ISO-IR-58 CSISO58GB231280
>     CN-GB EUC-CN EUCCN GB2312 CSGB2312
>     HZ HZ-GB-2312
>
> I see "GB2312". What does the "-80" mean in "gb_2312-80"?
> Can we just remove the "-80"?

Hmm. Weird. Mine also shows gb_2312-80 :-) I guess I jumped the gun a
bit.

Ok. Checking further, it seems the file contains characters that are not
gb_2312-80. Try a simple:
iconv -f gb_2312-80 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html > /dev/null

and it'll show you an error.

Whereas:
iconv -f euc-jp -t utf-8 FAQ_japanese.html > /dev/null

works just fine.

//Magnus

Re: New Chinese FAQ

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Here's what I see on our FreeBSD server:
> >
> >     $ iconv -l|grep  -i 2312
> >     CHINESE GB_2312-80 ISO-IR-58 CSISO58GB231280
> >     CN-GB EUC-CN EUCCN GB2312 CSGB2312
> >     HZ HZ-GB-2312
> >
> > I see "GB2312". What does the "-80" mean in "gb_2312-80"?
> > Can we just remove the "-80"?
>
> Hmm. Weird. Mine also shows gb_2312-80 :-) I guess I jumped the gun a
> bit.
>
> Ok. Checking further, it seems the file contains characters that are not
> gb_2312-80. Try a simple:
> iconv -f gb_2312-80 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html > /dev/null
>
> and it'll show you an error.
>

> Whereas:
> iconv -f euc-jp -t utf-8 FAQ_japanese.html > /dev/null
>
> works just fine.

OK, here's where we get stuck.  I CC'ed the original two Chinese posters
so let's hope they can address it.

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
Qingqing Zhou
Date:
On Wed, 11 May 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, here's where we get stuck.  I CC'ed the original two Chinese posters
> so let's hope they can address it.

Should be CHARSET="gb2312"? I have no idea of "gb_2312" or "gb_2312-80".

Laser: the html file is not in a good format, can you please reformat it?

Regards,
Qingqing

Re: New Chinese FAQ

Date:
Qingqing Zhou wrote:

> On Wed, 11 May 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > OK, here's where we get stuck.  I CC'ed the original two Chinese posters
> > so let's hope they can address it.
>
> Should be CHARSET="gb2312"? I have no idea of "gb_2312" or "gb_2312-80".

I have changed the character set specification in CVS to match your
suggestion.  Magnus, want to try it again?

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > > OK, here's where we get stuck.  I CC'ed the original two Chinese
> > > posters so let's hope they can address it.
> >
> > Should be CHARSET="gb2312"? I have no idea of "gb_2312" or
> "gb_2312-80".
>
> I have changed the character set specification in CVS to
> match your suggestion.  Magnus, want to try it again?

Can you convert it to UTF8 with iconv? (just to see that there are no
bad chars in it) Until that works, there is no point in trying it on the
website. (Once it works in yuor iconv, we can test it in the one on
wwwmaster, but I assume they'd be the same)

//Magnus

Re: New Chinese FAQ

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > > Should be CHARSET="gb2312"? I have no idea of "gb_2312" or
> > "gb_2312-80".
> >
> > I have changed the character set specification in CVS to
> > match your suggestion.  Magnus, want to try it again?
>
> Can you convert it to UTF8 with iconv? (just to see that there are no
> bad chars in it) Until that works, there is no point in trying it on the
> website. (Once it works in yuor iconv, we can test it in the one on
> wwwmaster, but I assume they'd be the same)

I did:

    $ iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html  >x
    $

and I got nothing reported (no errors), and file 'x' looks OK.

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
>two Chinese

>> > "gb_2312-80".
>> >
>> > I have changed the character set specification in CVS to
>> > match your suggestion.  Magnus, want to try it again?
>>
>> Can you convert it to UTF8 with iconv? (just to see that there are no
>> bad chars in it) Until that works, there is no point in
>trying it on the
>> website. (Once it works in yuor iconv, we can test it in the one on
>> wwwmaster, but I assume they'd be the same)
>
>I did:
>
>    $ iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html  >x
>    $
>
>and I got nothing reported (no errors), and file 'x' looks OK.

Encoding looks good, but there is a lot of missing HTML tags in it :-(

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//wwwmaster.postgresq
l.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html

A quick look shows a lot of missing </P> tags.

(You can always preview the output at
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html, but remember
it's delayed (the website pulls once per hour, but it pulls from anoncvs
so there is the additional delay there)

//Magnus

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
Weiping
Date:
ok, I'll fix the html tag problem ASAP.

regards laser

>>two Chinese

>>>Can you convert it to UTF8 with iconv? (just to see that there are no
>>>bad chars in it) Until that works, there is no point in
>>>

>>trying it on the
>>

>>>website. (Once it works in yuor iconv, we can test it in the one on
>>>wwwmaster, but I assume they'd be the same)
>>>

>>I did:
>>
>>    $ iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html  >x
>>    $
>>
>>and I got nothing reported (no errors), and file 'x' looks OK.
>>

>Encoding looks good, but there is a lot of missing HTML tags in it :-(
>
>http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//wwwmaster.postgresq
>l.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html
>
>A quick look shows a lot of missing </P> tags.
>
>(You can always preview the output at
>http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html, but remember
>it's delayed (the website pulls once per hour, but it pulls from anoncvs
>so there is the additional delay there)
>
>//Magnus

Re: New Chinese FAQ

Weiping wrote:
> ok, I'll fix the html tag problem ASAP.

I fixed the tag problem and it now verifies fine:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwwwmaster.postgresql.org%2Fdocs%2Ffaqs.FAQ_chinese.html&charset=gb2312+%28Chinese%2C+simplified%29

The only problem reported is that it says the encoding is incorrect for
a large number of lines.  The above encoding forces it to be gb2312.  If
I make it Unicode I get even more failures.  However, I remember iconv
doing the conversion to UTF8 just fine, so maybe something is wrong with
how we are validating it.

Anyway, the HTML is OK so it seems we just have encoding issue now.
The current version in CVS is all fixed up so please submit updates
based on that version.  Thanks.

> regards laser

> >>two Chinese

> >>trying it on the

> >>I did:
> >>
> >>    $ iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html  >x
> >>    $
> >>
> >>and I got nothing reported (no errors), and file 'x' looks OK.
> >>

> >Encoding looks good, but there is a lot of missing HTML tags in it :-(
> >
> >http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//wwwmaster.postgresq
> >l.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html
> >
> >A quick look shows a lot of missing </P> tags.
> >
> >(You can always preview the output at
> >http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html, but remember
> >it's delayed (the website pulls once per hour, but it pulls from anoncvs
> >so there is the additional delay there)
> >
> >//Magnus

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
>> ok, I'll fix the html tag problem ASAP.
>>

>I fixed the tag problem and it now verifies fine:
>

>http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwwwmaster.postgr
>esql.org%2Fdocs%2Ffaqs.FAQ_chinese.html&charset=gb2312+%28Chine
se%2C+simplified%29

>The only problem reported is that it says the encoding is incorrect for
>a large number of lines.  The above encoding forces it to be
>gb2312.  If
>I make it Unicode I get even more failures.  However, I remember iconv
>doing the conversion to UTF8 just fine, so maybe something is
>wrong with
>how we are validating it.

The output should be UTF8, and it should autodetect it. The output from
the *website* should *not* validate as gb2312, because it is no longer
in that encoding.

The reason that's the only error you get may be that it doesn't validate
the document because of encoding errors. So this doesn't prove (or
disprove for that matter) that the tags are fixed.

>Anyway, the HTML is OK so it seems we just have encoding issue now.
>The current version in CVS is all fixed up so please submit updates
>based on that version.  Thanks.

I'm sorry to say, but it's invalid characters in it again :-(
On svr2:
svr2# iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html >/dev/null
iconv: FAQ_chinese.html: cannot convert

On developer.pgadmin.org:
mha@developer:~/ext/faqs$ iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html  -o
/dev/null
iconv: illegal input sequence at position 8182

Could it be cvs that messes the encoding up? Can you mail me the file as
you see it before you commit and I can see if that makes a difference?

//Magnus

Re: New Chinese FAQ

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> ok, I'll fix the html tag problem ASAP.
> >>

> >I fixed the tag problem and it now verifies fine:
> >

> >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwwwmaster.postgr
> >esql.org%2Fdocs%2Ffaqs.FAQ_chinese.html&charset=gb2312+%28Chine
> se%2C+simplified%29
> >
> >The only problem reported is that it says the encoding is incorrect for
> >a large number of lines.  The above encoding forces it to be
> >gb2312.  If
> >I make it Unicode I get even more failures.  However, I remember iconv
> >doing the conversion to UTF8 just fine, so maybe something is
> >wrong with
> >how we are validating it.
>
> The output should be UTF8, and it should autodetect it. The output from
> the *website* should *not* validate as gb2312, because it is no longer
> in that encoding.
>
> The reason that's the only error you get may be that it doesn't validate
> the document because of encoding errors. So this doesn't prove (or
> disprove for that matter) that the tags are fixed.

Yes, I was using the doctype of HTML 4.0 when I tested, but when it was
on the web site only then was XHTML Traditional tested.

> >Anyway, the HTML is OK so it seems we just have encoding issue now.
> >The current version in CVS is all fixed up so please submit updates
> >based on that version.  Thanks.
>
> I'm sorry to say, but it's invalid characters in it again :-(
> On svr2:
> svr2# iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html >/dev/null
> iconv: FAQ_chinese.html: cannot convert
>

> On developer.pgadmin.org:
> mha@developer:~/ext/faqs$ iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html  -o
> /dev/null
> iconv: illegal input sequence at position 8182
>

> Could it be cvs that messes the encoding up? Can you mail me the file as
> you see it before you commit and I can see if that makes a difference?

The problem is that the document is clearly not XHTML, but when I use
htmltidy -raw -asxhtml to convert it to XHTML, it somehow messes up the
encodings and then iconv fails.  So, I either have to manually fix the
HTML file to be XHTML, or I have to figure out why htmltidy is changing
the encoded text even though I am using -raw.

Re: New Chinese FAQ

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >Anyway, the HTML is OK so it seems we just have encoding issue now.
> > >The current version in CVS is all fixed up so please submit updates
> > >based on that version.  Thanks.
> >
> > I'm sorry to say, but it's invalid characters in it again :-(
> > On svr2:
> > svr2# iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html >/dev/null
> > iconv: FAQ_chinese.html: cannot convert
> >

> > On developer.pgadmin.org:
> > mha@developer:~/ext/faqs$ iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html  -o
> > /dev/null
> > iconv: illegal input sequence at position 8182
> >

> > Could it be cvs that messes the encoding up? Can you mail me the file as
> > you see it before you commit and I can see if that makes a difference?
> >

> The problem is that the document is clearly not XHTML, but when I use
> htmltidy -raw -asxhtml to convert it to XHTML, it somehow messes up the
> encodings and then iconv fails.  So, I either have to manually fix the
> HTML file to be XHTML, or I have to figure out why htmltidy is changing
> the encoded text even though I am using -raw.

OK, fixed.  Seems I have to use -b (bare) in the conversion or
and stuff gets converted to some type of non-ascii characters.  Seems
like an htmltidy bug but I am not sure.

Anyway, something that validates is now in CVS.  I think I tested it
properly with XHTML strict this time.

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
Weiping
Date:
Hi, all

I'm on it. I use the file Bruce point out (with is a utf8 encoding),
and use iconv convert it back to gb2312 and edit the file, thus
keep the version correct, and I'll do some reformat job. The old
file had been done in windows environment, so too much tag
problem, now I'll recheck it. Will send it later.

regards laser

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > The output should be UTF8, and it should autodetect it. The output
> > from the *website* should *not* validate as gb2312, because
> it is no
> > longer in that encoding.
> >
> > The reason that's the only error you get may be that it doesn't
> > validate the document because of encoding errors. So this doesn't
> > prove (or disprove for that matter) that the tags are fixed.
> >

> Yes, I was using the doctype of HTML 4.0 when I tested, but
> when it was on the web site only then was XHTML Traditional tested.

I think yuuo are missing thep oint. The file that is in CVS does *not*
have to be XHTML. Actually, I'm not even sure it works as XHTML (it
should, but I haven't tested it). It has to be proper HTML v4, plus a
bunch of other restrictions. Basically it has to be the same type of
HTML as the other FAQs.

//Magnus

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Hi, all
>
> I'm on it. I use the file Bruce point out (with is a utf8
> encoding), and use iconv convert it back to gb2312 and edit
> the file, thus keep the version correct, and I'll do some
> reformat job. The old file had been done in windows
> environment, so too much tag problem, now I'll recheck it.
> Will send it later.

Sounds good.

Note taht we can deal with either UTF8 or GB2312 encoding in the file,
but the META header has to indicate the correct encoding. The website
will convert GB2312 to UTF8 on the fly, or just leave utf8 alone if it's
already in that encoding.

//Magnus

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
Weiping
Date:
Hi, all,

I've put a newly revised version on here:
http://www.pgsqldb.org/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html
this one is gb2312 encoding and can pass the iconv test and fixed all
the <p> tag problem,
and revised the html code format for easy edit, use this one to start to
work on would be much better.

regards laser

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Hi, all,
>
> I've put a newly revised version on here:
> http://www.pgsqldb.org/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html
> this one is gb2312 encoding and can pass the iconv test and
> fixed all the <p> tag problem, and revised the html code
> format for easy edit, use this one to start to work on would
> be much better.

Hi!

For the cvs repository, the FAQ should be without the whole
postgresql.org headers/footers around it. The website will automatically
add these as necessary.

Please take a look at the other FAQs as they are in the cvs repository
to see how they look (not on the website).

//Magnus

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
Weiping
Date:
Magnus Hagander 写道:

>>Hi, all,
>>
>>I've put a newly revised version on here:
>>http://www.pgsqldb.org/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html
>>this one is gb2312 encoding and can pass the iconv test and
>>fixed all the <p> tag problem, and revised the html code
>>format for easy edit, use this one to start to work on would
>>be much better.
>>

>Hi!
>
>For the cvs repository, the FAQ should be without the whole
>postgresql.org headers/footers around it. The website will automatically
>add these as necessary.
>
>Please take a look at the other FAQs as they are in the cvs repository
>to see how they look (not on the website).
>
>//Magnus

Then how about this one:

http://www.pgsqldb.org/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html

I've removed those header and footer and other unrelated staff.
the encodin now is gb2312, I've iconved another one to utf8 encoding:

http://www.pgsqldb.org/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html.utf8

see if it fit for cvs.

regards laser

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> >>Hi, all,
> >>
> >>I've put a newly revised version on here:
> >>http://www.pgsqldb.org/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html
> >>this one is gb2312 encoding and can pass the iconv test and
> fixed all
> >>the <p> tag problem, and revised the html code format for
> easy edit,
> >>use this one to start to work on would be much better.
> >>

> >Hi!
> >
> >For the cvs repository, the FAQ should be without the whole
> >postgresql.org headers/footers around it. The website will
> automatically
> >add these as necessary.
> >
> >Please take a look at the other FAQs as they are in the cvs
> repository
> >to see how they look (not on the website).
> >
> >//Magnus
> >

> Then how about this one:
>
> http://www.pgsqldb.org/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html

This looks a lot better, but it's not there yet :( The encoding issues
appear to be solved.

I copied it to my dev box, see
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//magnus-master.pgadm
in.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html for validator results.

Or
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//www.pgsqldb.org/faq
s.FAQ_chinese.html for results directly on your own page which claims to
be XHTML strict, but really isn't. :-(

//Magnus

Re: New Chinese FAQ

From
Weiping

>This looks a lot better, but it's not there yet :( The encoding issues
>appear to be solved.
>
>I copied it to my dev box, see
>http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//magnus-master.pgadm
>in.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html for validator results.
>
>Or
>http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//www.pgsqldb.org/faq
>s.FAQ_chinese.html for results directly on your own page which claims to
>be XHTML strict, but really isn't. :-(
>
>//Magnus

yep, tried and find it, will check and return back later.

regards laser

OK, updated PostgreSQL FAQ Chinese

From
Weiping
Date:
Hi, all,
    We've updated the FAQ for Chinese, I've put it here:

http://www.pgsqldb.org/twiki/pub/PgSQL/PostgreFAQ/faqs.FAQ_chinese.html

the encoding of it is gb2312, and seems passed all the check of w3c.org,
and it's updated according to the online FAQ from postgresql.org,
if you need, you may use iconv to conver it to utf8, but I think it's
unnecessary.

Tell me any problem if you need more revise.

Thanks and regards

Laser

Re: OK, updated PostgreSQL FAQ Chinese

Date:
I have installed this in CVS HEAD and 8.0.X.  Thanks.