Re: New Chinese FAQ - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: New Chinese FAQ
Date
List pgsql-www
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >Anyway, the HTML is OK so it seems we just have encoding issue now.
> > >The current version in CVS is all fixed up so please submit updates
> > >based on that version.  Thanks.
> >
> > I'm sorry to say, but it's invalid characters in it again :-(
> > On svr2:
> > svr2# iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html >/dev/null
> > iconv: FAQ_chinese.html: cannot convert
> >

> > On developer.pgadmin.org:
> > mha@developer:~/ext/faqs$ iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html  -o
> > /dev/null
> > iconv: illegal input sequence at position 8182
> >

> > Could it be cvs that messes the encoding up? Can you mail me the file as
> > you see it before you commit and I can see if that makes a difference?
> >

> The problem is that the document is clearly not XHTML, but when I use
> htmltidy -raw -asxhtml to convert it to XHTML, it somehow messes up the
> encodings and then iconv fails.  So, I either have to manually fix the
> HTML file to be XHTML, or I have to figure out why htmltidy is changing
> the encoded text even though I am using -raw.

OK, fixed.  Seems I have to use -b (bare) in the conversion or
and stuff gets converted to some type of non-ascii characters.  Seems
like an htmltidy bug but I am not sure.

Anyway, something that validates is now in CVS.  I think I tested it
properly with XHTML strict this time.