Re: New Chinese FAQ - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: New Chinese FAQ
Date
Re: New Chinese FAQ  (Weiping <laser@qmail.zhengmai.net.cn>)
List pgsql-www
>> ok, I'll fix the html tag problem ASAP.
>>

>I fixed the tag problem and it now verifies fine:
>

>http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwwwmaster.postgr
>esql.org%2Fdocs%2Ffaqs.FAQ_chinese.html&charset=gb2312+%28Chine
se%2C+simplified%29

>The only problem reported is that it says the encoding is incorrect for
>a large number of lines.  The above encoding forces it to be
>gb2312.  If
>I make it Unicode I get even more failures.  However, I remember iconv
>doing the conversion to UTF8 just fine, so maybe something is
>wrong with
>how we are validating it.

The output should be UTF8, and it should autodetect it. The output from
the *website* should *not* validate as gb2312, because it is no longer
in that encoding.

The reason that's the only error you get may be that it doesn't validate
the document because of encoding errors. So this doesn't prove (or
disprove for that matter) that the tags are fixed.

>Anyway, the HTML is OK so it seems we just have encoding issue now.
>The current version in CVS is all fixed up so please submit updates
>based on that version.  Thanks.

I'm sorry to say, but it's invalid characters in it again :-(
On svr2:
svr2# iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html >/dev/null
iconv: FAQ_chinese.html: cannot convert

On developer.pgadmin.org:
mha@developer:~/ext/faqs$ iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html  -o
/dev/null
iconv: illegal input sequence at position 8182

Could it be cvs that messes the encoding up? Can you mail me the file as
you see it before you commit and I can see if that makes a difference?

//Magnus