J2SE 1.4 and other patches

From
Mark "Lillywhite (pg-jdbc)"
Date:
Hi jdbcsters,

I was just wondering if anyone is working on support for JDK1.4 for the
postgresql drivers. It appears that there are some new methods defined
in a few interfaces that need to be implemented (presumably to just
throw the "unimplemented" exception?).

If noone is already working in this then I am happy to look into it
(though I can't promise to fix it, depends on time).

Also, I have a patch for DatabaseMetaData to fix a bug in the metadata
returned for BigDecimals. I have already tried to submit this patch 2 or
3 times (to peter@retep) but never heard back. It's only about 4 LOC but
it makes introspecting the database much better.

Is this the place to post a patch, and if I do, am I likely to get a
response?

Cheers!
Mark

Re: J2SE 1.4 and other patches

From
Rene Pijlman
Date:
On 13 Oct 2001 11:16:07 +1000, you wrote:
>I was just wondering if anyone is working on support for JDK1.4 for the
>postgresql drivers.

Not AFAIK.

>It appears that there are some new methods defined
>in a few interfaces that need to be implemented (presumably to just
>throw the "unimplemented" exception?).

Do you mean JDBC 3.0 methods? What methods precisely? Are they
implementable?

>Also, I have a patch for DatabaseMetaData to fix a bug in the metadata
>returned for BigDecimals. I have already tried to submit this patch 2 or
>3 times (to peter@retep) but never heard back. It's only about 4 LOC but
>it makes introspecting the database much better.
>
>Is this the place to post a patch, and if I do, am I likely to get a
>response?

You can send patches to the pgsql-patches@postgresql.org list,
preferably with a CC to this list. Yes, you will get a response.
Usually, a patch is applied within a week (if the patch is good,
of course).

If a patch to the JDBC driver needs discussion first, that
should be on this list.

Regards,
René Pijlman <rene@lab.applinet.nl>

Re: J2SE 1.4 and other patches

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
I think what most needs to be done is for someone to update the build process, so people
who want to hack code will have somewhere to start from.

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net

Re: J2SE 1.4 and other patches

From
"Dave Cramer"
Date:
What do you see wrong with the build process?

Ant is used to build the driver!

Dave

Rene Pijlman wrote:

> On 13 Oct 2001 11:16:07 +1000, you wrote:
>
>>I was just wondering if anyone is working on support for JDK1.4 for
>>the postgresql drivers.
>>

> Not AFAIK.
>

>>It appears that there are some new methods defined
>>in a few interfaces that need to be implemented (presumably to just
>>throw the "unimplemented" exception?).
>>

> Do you mean JDBC 3.0 methods? What methods precisely? Are they
> implementable?
>

>>Also, I have a patch for DatabaseMetaData to fix a bug in the metadata

>>returned for BigDecimals. I have already tried to submit this patch 2
>>or 3 times (to peter@retep) but never heard back. It's only about 4
>>LOC but it makes introspecting the database much better.
>>
>>Is this the place to post a patch, and if I do, am I likely to get a
>>response?
>>

> You can send patches to the pgsql-patches@postgresql.org list,
> preferably with a CC to this list. Yes, you will get a response.
> Usually, a patch is applied within a week (if the patch is good, of
> course).
>
> If a patch to the JDBC driver needs discussion first, that should be
> on this list.
>
> Regards,
> René Pijlman <rene@lab.applinet.nl>
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net
Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: J2SE 1.4 and other patches

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
FYI To see what's new:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/relnotes/features.html#jdbc

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net
Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com

Re: J2SE 1.4 and other patches

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
Right.  And a maintainer needs to make a jdbc3 direcotry and modifiy the ant files to use
it when it detects a jdk of 1.4+

Dave Cramer wrote:

> What do you see wrong with the build process?
>
> Ant is used to build the driver!
>
> Dave

Barry Lind
Date:
Anyone can do that by submitting a patch.  I don't see anything special
that needs to be done.

--Barry

Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> Right.  And a maintainer needs to make a jdbc3 direcotry and modifiy the
> ant files to use it when it detects a jdk of 1.4+
>

> Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>> What do you see wrong with the build process?
>>
>> Ant is used to build the driver!
>>
>> Dave

Date:
Ok, what specifically in jdbc 3.0 do people want implemented?

All of the callable statement stuff is not applicable to postgres

Dave

Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> Right.  And a maintainer needs to make a jdbc3 direcotry and modifiy
> the
> ant files to use it when it detects a jdk of 1.4+
>

> Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>> What do you see wrong with the build process?
>>
>> Ant is used to build the driver!
>>
>> Dave

Per-Olof Norén