Patch license update to developer's FAQ

Date:
I have added to the developer's FAQ that we don't want
non-BSD-compatible licensed patches:
   <li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license.  By posting a patch   to the public PostgreSQL mailling lists, you
aregiving the PostgreSQL   Global Development Group the non-revokable right to distribute your   patch under the BSD
license. If you use code that is available under   a BSD-compatible license (eg. public domain), please note that in
your  email submission.  If the license is not BSD-compatible (e.g. GPL),   please do not post the patch.</li>

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Patch license update to developer's FAQ

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have added to the developer's FAQ that we don't want
> non-BSD-compatible licensed patches:
>
>     <li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license.  By posting a patch
>     to the public PostgreSQL mailling lists, you are giving the PostgreSQL
>     Global Development Group the non-revokable right to distribute your
>     patch under the BSD license.  If you use code that is available under
>     a BSD-compatible license (eg. public domain), please note that in your
>     email submission.  If the license is not BSD-compatible (e.g. GPL),
>     please do not post the patch.</li>

How about something simpler:

<li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license. Patches that are
submitted another a non-compatible license (such as the GPL) will be
ignored.</li>

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Patch license update to developer's FAQ

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have added to the developer's FAQ that we don't want
> > non-BSD-compatible licensed patches:
> >
> >     <li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license.  By posting a patch
> >     to the public PostgreSQL mailling lists, you are giving the PostgreSQL
> >     Global Development Group the non-revokable right to distribute your
> >     patch under the BSD license.  If you use code that is available under
> >     a BSD-compatible license (eg. public domain), please note that in your
> >     email submission.  If the license is not BSD-compatible (e.g. GPL),
> >     please do not post the patch.</li>
>
> How about something simpler:
>
> <li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license. Patches that are
> submitted another a non-compatible license (such as the GPL) will be
> ignored.</li>

No, I don't people even seeing GPL patches on our lists.  There is too
much of a chance of accident, and possible problems if we re-implemented
with a BSD license.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I have added to the developer's FAQ that we don't want
>>> non-BSD-compatible licensed patches:
>>>
>>>     <li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license.  By posting a patch
>>>     to the public PostgreSQL mailling lists, you are giving the PostgreSQL
>>>     Global Development Group the non-revokable right to distribute your
>>>     patch under the BSD license.  If you use code that is available under
>>>     a BSD-compatible license (eg. public domain), please note that in your
>>>     email submission.  If the license is not BSD-compatible (e.g. GPL),
>>>     please do not post the patch.</li>
>> How about something simpler:
>>
>> <li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license. Patches that are
>> submitted another a non-compatible license (such as the GPL) will be
>> ignored.</li>
>
> No, I don't people even seeing GPL patches on our lists.  There is too
> much of a chance of accident, and possible problems if we re-implemented
> with a BSD license.

Neither clause solves the issue you describe here. The only thing my
clause does it make it so people might actually read it ;).

In general, people have very short attention spans and they have no
desire to read a long paragraph about something that is really two
sentences. We could adjust a bit though:

<li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license. We will only accept
patches that are submitted under a BSD license. All others shall be
rejected.</li>

Using the word rejected provides a sense of us declaring outright, "NO"
to anything but BSD versus an implicit ignoring.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Patch license update to developer's FAQ

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >> How about something simpler:
> >>
> >> <li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license. Patches that are
> >> submitted another a non-compatible license (such as the GPL) will be
> >> ignored.</li>
> >
> > No, I don't people even seeing GPL patches on our lists.  There is too
> > much of a chance of accident, and possible problems if we re-implemented
> > with a BSD license.
>
> Neither clause solves the issue you describe here. The only thing my
> clause does it make it so people might actually read it ;).
>
> In general, people have very short attention spans and they have no
> desire to read a long paragraph about something that is really two
> sentences. We could adjust a bit though:
>
> <li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license. We will only accept
> patches that are submitted under a BSD license. All others shall be
> rejected.</li>
>
> Using the word rejected provides a sense of us declaring outright, "NO"
> to anything but BSD versus an implicit ignoring.

Agreed we want simple wording.  The existing complexity is caused by
trying to explain that if basing a patch on a BSD-compatibile license,
we need to know about it.  Your wording doesn't have that distinction.
Perhaps the distinction isn't important.  I didn't write that particular
part of the FAQ myself.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Patch license update to developer's FAQ

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have added to the developer's FAQ that we don't want
> non-BSD-compatible licensed patches:

How frequently is this actually a problem?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Patch license update to developer's FAQ

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have added to the developer's FAQ that we don't want
> > non-BSD-compatible licensed patches:
>
> How frequently is this actually a problem?

I don't think it is common.  I didn't add that part, so if you also
think it is rare, I will remove that distinction.  New text:
   <li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license.  By posting a patch   to the public PostgreSQL mailling lists, you
aregiving the PostgreSQL   Global Development Group the non-revokable right to distribute your   patch under the BSD
license. If the patch is not BSD-licensed, it   will be rejected.</li>

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I have added to the developer's FAQ that we don't want
>> non-BSD-compatible licensed patches:
>
> How frequently is this actually a problem?

Every single time someone submits a patch with no license but with a big
legal disclaimer in their signature. Which is why this all came about.

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> I have added to the developer's FAQ that we don't want
> >> non-BSD-compatible licensed patches:
> >
> > How frequently is this actually a problem?
>
> Every single time someone submits a patch with no license but with a big
> legal disclaimer in their signature. Which is why this all came about.

Well, if we want to guard against that, we will have to be explicit
about it because the old wording didn't address this directly.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I have added to the developer's FAQ that we don't want
>>> non-BSD-compatible licensed patches:
>> How frequently is this actually a problem?
>
> I don't think it is common.  I didn't add that part, so if you also
> think it is rare, I will remove that distinction.  New text:
>
>     <li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license.  By posting a patch
>     to the public PostgreSQL mailling lists, you are giving the PostgreSQL
>     Global Development Group the non-revokable right to distribute your
>     patch under the BSD license.  If the patch is not BSD-licensed, it
>     will be rejected.</li>

This is good, and it is really important that we add this to the signup
pages and welcome pages for -hackers and -patches.

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> How frequently is this actually a problem?
>> Every single time someone submits a patch with no license but with a big
>> legal disclaimer in their signature. Which is why this all came about.
>
> Well, if we want to guard against that, we will have to be explicit
> about it because the old wording didn't address this directly.

The wording you just posted up thread seemed to...

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >> Every single time someone submits a patch with no license but with a big
> >> legal disclaimer in their signature. Which is why this all came about.
> >
> > Well, if we want to guard against that, we will have to be explicit
> > about it because the old wording didn't address this directly.
>
> The wording you just posted up thread seemed to...

The issue is that people with those signatures don't think they are
submitting under a non-BSD license.  I thought you were saying we need
to address that directly.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Well, if we want to guard against that, we will have to be explicit
>>> about it because the old wording didn't address this directly.
>> The wording you just posted up thread seemed to...
>
> The issue is that people with those signatures don't think they are
> submitting under a non-BSD license.  I thought you were saying we need
> to address that directly.

Oh, I just meant that when *new* people signup they are made aware of
the predetermined policy based on joining the group. That way there is
zero confusion because when they went to the website and signed up, we
made the point of the BSD license, and when they were welcomed (the
first email they get from the list software) it told them again.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Patch license update to developer's FAQ

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Oh, I just meant that when *new* people signup they are made aware of
> the predetermined policy based on joining the group. That way there is
> zero confusion because when they went to the website and signed up, we
> made the point of the BSD license, and when they were welcomed (the
> first email they get from the list software) it told them again.

Do you actually believe people read those?

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Oh, I just meant that when *new* people signup they are made aware of
>> the predetermined policy based on joining the group. That way there is
>> zero confusion because when they went to the website and signed up, we
>> made the point of the BSD license, and when they were welcomed (the
>> first email they get from the list software) it told them again.
>
> Do you actually believe people read those?

Of course not, but that isn't the point. The point is, *we told you so*,
*you chose not to listen* and here it is documented.

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Patch license update to developer's FAQ

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 03 March 2007 13:02, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >> Oh, I just meant that when *new* people signup they are made aware of
> >> the predetermined policy based on joining the group. That way there is
> >> zero confusion because when they went to the website and signed up, we
> >> made the point of the BSD license, and when they were welcomed (the
> >> first email they get from the list software) it told them again.
> >
> > Do you actually believe people read those?
>
> Of course not, but that isn't the point. The point is, *we told you so*,
> *you chose not to listen* and here it is documented.

As long as we're pretending that were doing this right, we ought to add the
notice as part of the list signup message that is sent out to anyone how
signs up to the list.

--
Robert Treat

Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Saturday 03 March 2007 13:02, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> Do you actually believe people read those?
>> Of course not, but that isn't the point. The point is, *we told you so*,
>> *you chose not to listen* and here it is documented.
>>

> As long as we're pretending that were doing this right, we ought to add the
> notice as part of the list signup message that is sent out to anyone how
> signs up to the list.

Yes I mentioned that up thread :)

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Patch license update to developer's FAQ

From
"Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD"
Date:
> I don't think it is common.  I didn't add that part, so if
> you also think it is rare, I will remove that distinction.  New text:
>
>     <li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license.  By posting a
patch
>     to the public PostgreSQL mailling lists, you are giving the
PostgreSQL
>     Global Development Group the non-revokable right to distribute
your
>     patch under the BSD license.  If the patch is not BSD-licensed, it
>     will be rejected.</li>

I would remove the last sentence, since it puts the responsibility back
on the group (namely to actively reject).

Andreas

Re: Patch license update to developer's FAQ

Date:
Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD wrote:

> > I don't think it is common.  I didn't add that part, so if
> > you also think it is rare, I will remove that distinction.  New text:
> >
> >     <li>PostgreSQL is licensed under a BSD license.  By posting a
> patch
> >     to the public PostgreSQL mailling lists, you are giving the
> PostgreSQL
> >     Global Development Group the non-revokable right to distribute
> your
> >     patch under the BSD license.  If the patch is not BSD-licensed, it
> >     will be rejected.</li>
>
> I would remove the last sentence, since it puts the responsibility back
> on the group (namely to actively reject).

Done.