HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

Date:
OK, the HISTORY file is updated, and 7.3 is branded and ready for beta1.

I used the same HISTORY categories Peter made in 7.2.  I liked them.

Please review the HISTORY file.  I am sure there are improvements that
can be made.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 4 Sep 2002 at 3:24, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, the HISTORY file is updated, and 7.3 is branded and ready for beta1.
>
> I used the same HISTORY categories Peter made in 7.2.  I liked them.
>
> Please review the HISTORY file.  I am sure there are improvements that
> can be made.

Some minor stuff,

1) Line 74/Line 20 are same. Since they are in notes for different releases, I
suspect one of them has to move.

2)Line 61cash I/O improvements (Tom)

Is that 'cash' is correct(cache?)?

Sorry, if I have missed earlier threads on this. The file I am looking at is
last updated on Aug. 25. (anoncvs.postgresql.org).

I will update once again in an hour and check again..

ByeShridhar

--
There's nothing disgusting about it [the Companion].  It's just anotherlife
form, that's all.  You get used to those things.        -- McCoy, "Metamorphosis",

Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

Date:
I assume you are not looking at the 7.3 release notes.  It does take a
while for anon to get the changes.

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2002 at 3:24, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > OK, the HISTORY file is updated, and 7.3 is branded and ready for beta1.
> >
> > I used the same HISTORY categories Peter made in 7.2.  I liked them.
> >
> > Please review the HISTORY file.  I am sure there are improvements that
> > can be made.
>
> Some minor stuff,
>
> 1) Line 74/Line 20 are same. Since they are in notes for different releases, I
> suspect one of them has to move.
>
> 2)Line 61
>  cash I/O improvements (Tom)
>
> Is that 'cash' is correct(cache?)?
>
> Sorry, if I have missed earlier threads on this. The file I am looking at is
> last updated on Aug. 25. (anoncvs.postgresql.org).
>
> I will update once again in an hour and check again..
>
> Bye
>  Shridhar
>
> --
> There's nothing disgusting about it [the Companion].  It's just anotherlife
> form, that's all.  You get used to those things.        -- McCoy, "Metamorphosis",
> stardate 3219.8

Pennsylvania19073

Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> OK, the HISTORY file is updated, and 7.3 is branded and ready for beta1.
>
> I used the same HISTORY categories Peter made in 7.2.  I liked them.
>
> Please review the HISTORY file.  I am sure there are improvements that
> can be made.

Please change:

> Add CREATE/DROP CONVERSION, allowing loadable encodings (Tatsuo)

Add CREATE/DROP CONVERSION, allowing loadable encodings (Tatsuo, Kaori)

She provided lots of encodings for CONVERSION.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
Found this line without a name:

Propagate column or table renaming to foreign key constraints

Is that item complete?  pg_constraint follows (as such dump / restore
will work) but the triggers themselves still break, don't they?

Date:
Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.ca> writes:
> Found this line without a name:
> Propagate column or table renaming to foreign key constraints
> Is that item complete?  pg_constraint follows (as such dump / restore
> will work) but the triggers themselves still break, don't they?

Yes, no.  There's hackery in tablecmds.c to fix the triggers.
        regards, tom lane

Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Shridhar Daithankar dijo:

> On 4 Sep 2002 at 3:24, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > OK, the HISTORY file is updated, and 7.3 is branded and ready for beta1.
>
> Some minor stuff,

In the schema changes description:

"Schemas allow users to create objects in their own namespace
so two people can have the same table with the same name."

Shouldn't it read "so two people can have tables with the same name" ?
My point is that the tables are not the same, they just have the same
name.

"Tiene valor aquel que admite que es un cobarde" (Fernandel)

cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com
Date:
> Shridhar Daithankar dijo:
>
> > On 4 Sep 2002 at 3:24, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > OK, the HISTORY file is updated, and 7.3 is branded and ready for beta1.
> >
> > Some minor stuff,
>
> In the schema changes description:
>
> "Schemas allow users to create objects in their own namespace
> so two people can have the same table with the same name."

> Shouldn't it read "so two people can have tables with the same name"
> ?  My point is that the tables are not the same, they just have the
> same name.

How about this for a wording:
"Schemas allow users or applications to have their own namespaces inwhich to create objects.
A typical application of this is to allow creation of tables that_appear_ to have the same name.  For instance, if some
GNOMEapplicationswere using PostgreSQL to store their configuration, a"GNUMERIC" namespace might have a table
PREFERENCESto storepreferences for that application, while a "POWERSHELL" namespacewould allow _that_ application to
storeconfiguration in aPREFERENCES table that is quite distinct from the "GNUMERIC" one.

The "true" table names may be GNUMERIC.PREFERENCES andPOWERSHELL.PREFERENCES, but by using Schemas, applications do
notneedto be speckled with gratuitious added prefixes of GNUMERIC orPOWERSHELL."

Note that I'm pointing at "applications" as the primary purpose for
this, as opposed to "users."

In the long run, are not applications more likely to be the driving
force encouraging the use of schemas?
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/unix.html

Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

Date:
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > OK, the HISTORY file is updated, and 7.3 is branded and ready for beta1.
> >
> > I used the same HISTORY categories Peter made in 7.2.  I liked them.
> >
> > Please review the HISTORY file.  I am sure there are improvements that
> > can be made.
>
> Please change:
>
> > Add CREATE/DROP CONVERSION, allowing loadable encodings (Tatsuo)

> Add CREATE/DROP CONVERSION, allowing loadable encodings (Tatsuo, Kaori)
>
> She provided lots of encodings for CONVERSION.

Done:

Date:
Rod Taylor wrote:
> Found this line without a name:
>
> Propagate column or table renaming to foreign key constraints
>
> Is that item complete?  pg_constraint follows (as such dump / restore
> will work) but the triggers themselves still break, don't they?

No idea.  The item only talks about the contraint, not the trigger.

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Shridhar Daithankar dijo:
>
> > On 4 Sep 2002 at 3:24, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > OK, the HISTORY file is updated, and 7.3 is branded and ready for beta1.
> >
> > Some minor stuff,
>
> In the schema changes description:
>
> "Schemas allow users to create objects in their own namespace
> so two people can have the same table with the same name."
>
> Shouldn't it read "so two people can have tables with the same name" ?
> My point is that the tables are not the same, they just have the same
> name.

Good point.  Updated:
          Schemas allow users to create objects in their own namespace          so two people can have tables with the
samename.  There is           also a public schema for shared tables.  Table/index creation          can be restricted
byremoving permissions on the public schema.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

Date:
OK, wording updated to add 'applications':
          Schemas allow users to create objects in their own namespace          so two people or applications can have

cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com wrote:
> > Shridhar Daithankar dijo:

> > > Some minor stuff,
> >
> > In the schema changes description:
> >
> > "Schemas allow users to create objects in their own namespace
> > so two people can have the same table with the same name."
>
> > Shouldn't it read "so two people can have tables with the same name"
> > ?  My point is that the tables are not the same, they just have the
> > same name.
>
> How about this for a wording:
>
>  "Schemas allow users or applications to have their own namespaces in
>  which to create objects.
>
>  A typical application of this is to allow creation of tables that
>  _appear_ to have the same name.  For instance, if some GNOME
>  applications were using PostgreSQL to store their configuration, a
>  "GNUMERIC" namespace might have a table PREFERENCES to store
>  preferences for that application, while a "POWERSHELL" namespace
>  would allow _that_ application to store configuration in a
>  PREFERENCES table that is quite distinct from the "GNUMERIC" one.
>
>  The "true" table names may be GNUMERIC.PREFERENCES and
>  POWERSHELL.PREFERENCES, but by using Schemas, applications do not
>  need to be speckled with gratuitious added prefixes of GNUMERIC or
>  POWERSHELL."
>
> Note that I'm pointing at "applications" as the primary purpose for
> this, as opposed to "users."
>
> In the long run, are not applications more likely to be the driving
> force encouraging the use of schemas?
> --
> (reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/unix.html
> "The   most  precisely-explained   and   voluminously-documented  user
> interface "rule" can and will  be shot to pieces with the introduction
> of a single new priority consideration." -- Michael Peck

Pennsylvania19073

Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, the HISTORY file is updated, and 7.3 is branded and ready for beta1.
>
> I used the same HISTORY categories Peter made in 7.2.  I liked them.
>
> Please review the HISTORY file.  I am sure there are improvements that
> can be made.

A few minor comments:

1. suggested rewording:

Table Functions
           Functions can now return sets, with multiple rows           and multiple columns.  You specify these
functionsin           the SELECT FROM clause, similar to a table or view.

2. couldn't find mention of:

Data Types and Functions
========================
Add named composite type creation - CREATE TYPE typename AS (column
definition list)

Allow anonymous composite type specification at query runtime in the
table alias clause - FROM tablename AS aliasname(column definition list)

Add new API to simplify creation of C language table functions

Joe

Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

Date:
Joe Conway wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > OK, the HISTORY file is updated, and 7.3 is branded and ready for beta1.
> >
> > I used the same HISTORY categories Peter made in 7.2.  I liked them.
> >
> > Please review the HISTORY file.  I am sure there are improvements that
> > can be made.
> >

> A few minor comments:
>
> 1. suggested rewording:
>
> Table Functions
>
>             Functions can now return sets, with multiple rows
>             and multiple columns.  You specify these functions in
>             the SELECT FROM clause, similar to a table or view.

Done.

> 2. couldn't find mention of:
>
> Data Types and Functions
> ========================
> Add named composite type creation - CREATE TYPE typename AS (column
> definition list)
>
> Allow anonymous composite type specification at query runtime in the
> table alias clause - FROM tablename AS aliasname(column definition list)
>
> Add new API to simplify creation of C language table functions

And done:

Add named composite types using CREATE TYPE typename AS (column) (Joe)
Allow composite type definition in the table alias clause (Joe)

Date:
> Please review the HISTORY file.
          PostgreSQL now support ALTER TABLE ... DROP COLUMN functionality.

s/support/supports/
          Functions can now return sets, with multiple rows          and multiple columns.  You specify these functions
in         the SELECT FROM clause, similar to a table or view.

I don't like this description: it's always been possible for functions
to return sets, it was just hard to use the feature.  Try to explain
what we really added.  Maybe:

Functions returning sets (multiple rows) and/or tuples (multiple
columns) are now much easier to use than before.  You can call
such a function in the SELECT FROM clause, treating its output
like a table.  Such a function can be declared to return RECORD,
with the actual output column set varying from one query to the
next.  Also, plpgsql functions can now return sets.
          Both multibyte and locale are now enabled by default.

s/enabled by default/always enabled/ --- AFAIK it is impossible to
disable them, so "by default" is pretty misleading.
          By default, functions can now take up to 32 parameters, and           identifiers can be up to 64 bytes
long.

s/64/63/

Add pg_locks table to show locks (Neil)

s/table/view/

EXPLAIN now outputs as a query (Tom)

This doesn't seem to belong under the Performance heading.

Display sort keys in EXPLAIN (Tom)

Likewise.

Restrict comments to the current database

Should probably say "comments on databases".

Increase maximum number of function parameters to 32 (Bruce)
         momjian

This line seems to need editing?

Modify a few error messages for consistency (Bruce)
momjian

This too.

Cleanups in array internal handling (Tom)

Joe should get credit on that one.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Please review the HISTORY file.
>
>            PostgreSQL now support ALTER TABLE ... DROP COLUMN functionality.
>
> s/support/supports/
>
>            Functions can now return sets, with multiple rows
>            and multiple columns.  You specify these functions in
>            the SELECT FROM clause, similar to a table or view.
>
> I don't like this description: it's always been possible for functions
> to return sets, it was just hard to use the feature.  Try to explain
> what we really added.  Maybe:
>
> Functions returning sets (multiple rows) and/or tuples (multiple
> columns) are now much easier to use than before.  You can call
> such a function in the SELECT FROM clause, treating its output
> like a table.  Such a function can be declared to return RECORD,
> with the actual output column set varying from one query to the
> next.  Also, plpgsql functions can now return sets.

Well, this is a summary section.  That seems like too much detail.  I
don't remember every seeing a function returning sets before.  Can you
give an example?  I can add the word "'easily' return sets" but I don't
think it is that easy.

>            Both multibyte and locale are now enabled by default.
>
> s/enabled by default/always enabled/ --- AFAIK it is impossible to
> disable them, so "by default" is pretty misleading.

Done.

>            By default, functions can now take up to 32 parameters, and
>            identifiers can be up to 64 bytes long.
>
> s/64/63/

Oops, got it.

> Add pg_locks table to show locks (Neil)
>
> s/table/view/

Yep.

> EXPLAIN now outputs as a query (Tom)
>
> This doesn't seem to belong under the Performance heading.

I had it there because EXPLAIN is a performance tool, though I wondered
about that logic too.  Move to utilities.

> Display sort keys in EXPLAIN (Tom)
>
> Likewise.

Moved.

> Restrict comments to the current database
>
> Should probably say "comments on databases".

Changed to:

Restrict comment to the current database

> Increase maximum number of function parameters to 32 (Bruce)
           momjian

> This line seems to need editing?

Fixed.

> Modify a few error messages for consistency (Bruce)
  momjian

> This too.

Fixed.

Date:
> I don't remember every seeing a function returning sets before.  Can you
> give an example?

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/xfunc-sql.html#AEN26392

Also, the preceding subsection shows SQL functions returning rows.  So
these features have been there, but they were messy and awkward to use.
Recall that the TODO item was* -Functions returning sets do not totally work
and not "we don't have functions returning sets".
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I don't remember every seeing a function returning sets before.  Can you
> > give an example?
>
> http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/xfunc-sql.html#AEN26392
>
> Also, the preceding subsection shows SQL functions returning rows.  So
> these features have been there, but they were messy and awkward to use.
> Recall that the TODO item was
>     * -Functions returning sets do not totally work
> and not "we don't have functions returning sets".

Yes, now I remember, only SQL functions could return sets.  How about
this:
          PL/PgSQL and C functions can now return sets, with multiple          rows and multiple columns. You specify

Date:
> Yes, now I remember, only SQL functions could return sets.  How about
> this:

>            PL/PgSQL and C functions can now return sets, with multiple
>            rows and multiple columns. You specify these functions in the
>            SELECT FROM clause, similar to a table or view.

C functions have always been able to return sets too; you don't honestly
think that a SQL function can do something a C function can't, do you?

There are really two independent improvements here: one is the ability
for plpgsql functions to return sets, and the other is a group of
improvements that make it easier to use a function-returning-set,
independently of what language it's written in.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> C functions have always been able to return sets too; you don't honestly
> think that a SQL function can do something a C function can't, do you?

The original dblink is an example.

> There are really two independent improvements here: one is the ability
> for plpgsql functions to return sets, and the other is a group of
> improvements that make it easier to use a function-returning-set,
> independently of what language it's written in.

As an example, although you *could* return a composite type before, it
was almost useless, because what you actually got returned to you was a
pointer:

test=# create function get_foo() returns setof foo as 'select * from
foo' language sql;
CREATE
test=# select get_foo();  get_foo
----------- 137867648 137867648 137867648
(3 rows)

In order to get the individual columns, you had to do:

test=# select f1(get_foo()), f2(get_foo()), f3(get_foo()); f1 | f2 | f3
----+----+-----  1 |  1 | abc  1 |  2 | def  2 |  1 | ghi
(3 rows)

Pretty ugly, but it did work.

What about this:

Functions returning multiple rows and/or multiple columns are
now much easier to use than before.  You can call such a
"table function" in the SELECT FROM clause, treating its output
like a table. Also, plpgsql functions can now return sets.

Joe

Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

Date:
Joe Conway wrote:
> What about this:
>
> Functions returning multiple rows and/or multiple columns are
> now much easier to use than before.  You can call such a
> "table function" in the SELECT FROM clause, treating its output
> like a table. Also, plpgsql functions can now return sets.

Added.

Pennsylvania19073