Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Please review the HISTORY file.
>
>            PostgreSQL now support ALTER TABLE ... DROP COLUMN functionality.
>
> s/support/supports/
>
>            Functions can now return sets, with multiple rows
>            and multiple columns.  You specify these functions in
>            the SELECT FROM clause, similar to a table or view.
>
> I don't like this description: it's always been possible for functions
> to return sets, it was just hard to use the feature.  Try to explain
> what we really added.  Maybe:
>
> Functions returning sets (multiple rows) and/or tuples (multiple
> columns) are now much easier to use than before.  You can call
> such a function in the SELECT FROM clause, treating its output
> like a table.  Such a function can be declared to return RECORD,
> with the actual output column set varying from one query to the
> next.  Also, plpgsql functions can now return sets.

Well, this is a summary section.  That seems like too much detail.  I
don't remember every seeing a function returning sets before.  Can you
give an example?  I can add the word "'easily' return sets" but I don't
think it is that easy.

>            Both multibyte and locale are now enabled by default.
>
> s/enabled by default/always enabled/ --- AFAIK it is impossible to
> disable them, so "by default" is pretty misleading.

Done.

>            By default, functions can now take up to 32 parameters, and
>            identifiers can be up to 64 bytes long.
>
> s/64/63/

Oops, got it.

> Add pg_locks table to show locks (Neil)
>
> s/table/view/

Yep.

> EXPLAIN now outputs as a query (Tom)
>
> This doesn't seem to belong under the Performance heading.

I had it there because EXPLAIN is a performance tool, though I wondered
about that logic too.  Move to utilities.

> Display sort keys in EXPLAIN (Tom)
>
> Likewise.

Moved.

> Restrict comments to the current database
>
> Should probably say "comments on databases".

Changed to:

Restrict comment to the current database

> Increase maximum number of function parameters to 32 (Bruce)
           momjian

> This line seems to need editing?

Fixed.

> Modify a few error messages for consistency (Bruce)
  momjian

> This too.

Fixed.

> Cleanups in array internal handling (Tom)
>
> Joe should get credit on that one.

Done.

Pennsylvania19073