Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I don't remember every seeing a function returning sets before.  Can you
> > give an example?
>
> http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/xfunc-sql.html#AEN26392
>
> Also, the preceding subsection shows SQL functions returning rows.  So
> these features have been there, but they were messy and awkward to use.
> Recall that the TODO item was
>     * -Functions returning sets do not totally work
> and not "we don't have functions returning sets".

Yes, now I remember, only SQL functions could return sets.  How about
this:
          PL/PgSQL and C functions can now return sets, with multiple          rows and multiple columns. You specify
thesefunctions in the          SELECT FROM clause, similar to a table or view.

Pennsylvania19073