Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Yes, now I remember, only SQL functions could return sets.  How about
> this:

>            PL/PgSQL and C functions can now return sets, with multiple
>            rows and multiple columns. You specify these functions in the
>            SELECT FROM clause, similar to a table or view.

C functions have always been able to return sets too; you don't honestly
think that a SQL function can do something a C function can't, do you?

There are really two independent improvements here: one is the ability
for plpgsql functions to return sets, and the other is a group of
improvements that make it easier to use a function-returning-set,
independently of what language it's written in.