Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded
Date
List pgsql-hackers
OK, wording updated to add 'applications':
          Schemas allow users to create objects in their own namespace          so two people or applications can have
tableswith the same          name. There is also a public schema for shared tables.          Table/index creation can
berestricted by removing          permissions on the public schema.

cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com wrote:
> > Shridhar Daithankar dijo:

> > > Some minor stuff,
> >
> > In the schema changes description:
> >
> > "Schemas allow users to create objects in their own namespace
> > so two people can have the same table with the same name."
>
> > Shouldn't it read "so two people can have tables with the same name"
> > ?  My point is that the tables are not the same, they just have the
> > same name.
>
> How about this for a wording:
>
>  "Schemas allow users or applications to have their own namespaces in
>  which to create objects.
>
>  A typical application of this is to allow creation of tables that
>  _appear_ to have the same name.  For instance, if some GNOME
>  applications were using PostgreSQL to store their configuration, a
>  "GNUMERIC" namespace might have a table PREFERENCES to store
>  preferences for that application, while a "POWERSHELL" namespace
>  would allow _that_ application to store configuration in a
>  PREFERENCES table that is quite distinct from the "GNUMERIC" one.
>
>  The "true" table names may be GNUMERIC.PREFERENCES and
>  POWERSHELL.PREFERENCES, but by using Schemas, applications do not
>  need to be speckled with gratuitious added prefixes of GNUMERIC or
>  POWERSHELL."
>
> Note that I'm pointing at "applications" as the primary purpose for
> this, as opposed to "users."
>
> In the long run, are not applications more likely to be the driving
> force encouraging the use of schemas?
> --
> (reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/unix.html
> "The   most  precisely-explained   and   voluminously-documented  user
> interface "rule" can and will  be shot to pieces with the introduction
> of a single new priority consideration." -- Michael Peck

Pennsylvania19073