Universal admin frontend

From
Pedro Abelleira Seco
Date:
Hi all!

I'm thinking about starting a (serius) project to
bring a good graphical interface to the administration
and operation of postgresql, similar to what other
databases have.

The goal is to be able to do all the administrative
work of postgres in a single program. It would
include manage databases, tables, users, privileges
..., see/alter table contents, start/stop the
server(s), configure postgres, manage backups, have a
good SQL console, monitorize the backends, ...

As you can see it would be a superset of the pgaccess
capabilities but backwards compatible with it.
The program would be done in Java/Swing, being
automaticaly portable. The license would be the
license of PostgreSQL itself.

The cuestion is: Is there any posibility of such a
beast being ever included in the standard distribution
of PostgreSQL, if it prove util, well designed and
rock-solid, or it would not be accepted like a
standard add-on by the PostgreSQL hacker comunity?
(perhaps Java/Swing not acceptable, ...)

Thank you.

Pedro Abelleira Seco

Yahoo! Messenger: Comunicación instantánea gratis con tu gente -
http://messenger.yahoo.es

Re: Universal admin frontend

From
"Dave Cramer"
Date:
Well, there is something called druid which almost works with postgres, some
of the problems are related to the jdbc driver not being complete.

Also there is pgAdmin which is windows specific.

Dave
> I'm thinking about starting a (serius) project to
> bring a good graphical interface to the administration
> and operation of postgresql, similar to what other
> databases have.
>
> The goal is to be able to do all the administrative
> work of postgres in a single program. It would
> include manage databases, tables, users, privileges
> ..., see/alter table contents, start/stop the
> server(s), configure postgres, manage backups, have a
> good SQL console, monitorize the backends, ...
>
> As you can see it would be a superset of the pgaccess
> capabilities but backwards compatible with it.
> The program would be done in Java/Swing, being
> automaticaly portable. The license would be the
> license of PostgreSQL itself.
>
> The cuestion is: Is there any posibility of such a
> beast being ever included in the standard distribution
> of PostgreSQL, if it prove util, well designed and
> rock-solid, or it would not be accepted like a
> standard add-on by the PostgreSQL hacker comunity?
> (perhaps Java/Swing not acceptable, ...)
>
> Thank you.
>
> Pedro Abelleira Seco

> Yahoo! Messenger: Comunicación instantánea gratis con tu gente -
> http://messenger.yahoo.es

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Universal admin frontend

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
something like this, web based, would be most cool ... have to be able to
monitor multiple port/backends too ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Universal admin frontend

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 05:48:21PM +0200, Pedro Abelleira Seco wrote:
> I'm thinking about starting a (serius) project to
> bring a good graphical interface to the administration
> and operation of postgresql, similar to what other
> databases have.
>
> The goal is to be able to do all the administrative
> work of postgres in a single program. It would
> include manage databases, tables, users, privileges

How about phppgadmin? I haven't checked in depth but it seems to be able to
do quite a lot of these.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De

Date:
> How about phppgadmin? I haven't checked in depth but
> it seems to be able to
> do quite a lot of these.

Yes, and pgaccess too, but I see cons in these two
tools:

- Pgaccess looks a bit poor. Tcl/Tk is not the
definitive user interface toolkit. Yes, it is enough
for many things, but not for all.

- Phppgadmin is a web based tool. You need a php
enabled web server. Most end users/admins don't want
to have to configure a web server, PHP ("what is
PHP?") and to have a poor interface (I'm talking about
web based interfaces in general, not the phppgadmin in
particular).

- Both of them have limitations of what they can
manage. You can't use them to backup/restore the
database, to edit/see the postgresql configuration, to
monitor the server(s), to start/stop server(s), ...
It's dificult to take an _employer_, who only wants to
do his job and go home, and say to him that we are
going to replace the Oracle and SQLServer databases
with Postgresql databases. In fact there are more
reasons that the interface, but you are working
already in the other problems and solving they fine.
To say it briefly if an average IT manager asks you to
"show him PostgreSQL" and you open pgsql or pgaccess
you are done. Sad but true.

> Michael
> --
> Michael Meskes
> Michael@Fam-Meskes.De
> Go SF 49ers! Go Rhein Fire!
> Use Debian GNU/Linux! Use PostgreSQL!

Pedro

Yahoo! Messenger: Comunicación instantánea gratis con tu gente -
http://messenger.yahoo.es

RE: RE: Universal admin frontend

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> - Both of them have limitations of what they can
> manage. You can't use them to backup/restore the
> database, to edit/see the postgresql configuration, to
> monitor the server(s), to start/stop server(s), ...
> It's dificult to take an _employer_, who only wants to
> do his job and go home, and say to him that we are
> going to replace the Oracle and SQLServer databases
> with Postgresql databases. In fact there are more
> reasons that the interface, but you are working
> already in the other problems and solving they fine.
> To say it briefly if an average IT manager asks you to
> "show him PostgreSQL" and you open pgsql or pgaccess
> you are done. Sad but true.

What about a KDE or Gnome piece of software?  In fact, I believe that such a
project may already be in its infancy...

Chris

Date:
On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 09:13:13AM +0200, Pedro Abelleira Seco wrote:
> - Phppgadmin is a web based tool. You need a php
> enabled web server. Most end users/admins don't want
> to have to configure a web server, PHP ("what is
> PHP?") and to have a poor interface (I'm talking about
> web based interfaces in general, not the phppgadmin in
> particular).

Maybe, but then you are platform independent.

> - Both of them have limitations of what they can
> manage. You can't use them to backup/restore the
> database, to edit/see the postgresql configuration, to
> monitor the server(s), to start/stop server(s), ...

Correct. You need another sort of tool for that. If you go web based webmin
can do most of this, or at least aims at this.

> To say it briefly if an average IT manager asks you to
> "show him PostgreSQL" and you open pgsql or pgaccess
> you are done. Sad but true.

[I assume you mean psql with pgsql.]

Yes, but could show him that there are such tools with Oracle too. Sqlplus
is no better than psql for that matter. If you want to add your commands
inside a graphic tool you could use mpsql/kpsql which are unfortunately not
maintained anymore. Note, that I do not say the tools are there for all your
needs, but that I think there are quite some tools worth extending. I don't
think what we need is another tool that does parts of the job, but an effort
to build the one tool you can use for all of this. If this has to start from
scratch so be it. But maybe it's good idea to improve some other tool.

Michael
--

Date:
> What about a KDE or Gnome piece of software?  In
> fact, I believe that such a
> project may already be in its infancy...

Yes, I could be, but no all systems have one of them
installed or even installable (think not only about
Linux, but all the platforms in wich Postgres run,
Windows too)
Other advantage of the Java/Swing aproach, apart from
its portability, is that is easy to program in that
platform. I have programed for KDE and have done a
little test against both gtk+, gtk--, but Java is
another level. Suddenly all is easy, you can do what
you can imagine. I don't want to start a flamewar
about the best programming language. I only say that
for this kind of task Java is the only platform in
wich I feel sure about what can be done and when it
can be.

> Chris

Pedro

Yahoo! Messenger: Comunicación instantánea gratis con tu gente -
http://messenger.yahoo.es

RE: RE: Universal admin frontend

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > - Both of them have limitations of what they can
> > manage. You can't use them to backup/restore the
> > database, to edit/see the postgresql configuration, to
> > monitor the server(s), to start/stop server(s), ...
> > It's dificult to take an _employer_, who only wants to
> > do his job and go home, and say to him that we are
> > going to replace the Oracle and SQLServer databases
> > with Postgresql databases. In fact there are more
> > reasons that the interface, but you are working
> > already in the other problems and solving they fine.
> > To say it briefly if an average IT manager asks you to
> > "show him PostgreSQL" and you open pgsql or pgaccess
> > you are done. Sad but true.
>
> What about a KDE or Gnome piece of software?  In fact, I believe that such a
> project may already be in its infancy...

Please, dont' depend on those things. A lot of people dont' like
KDE, Gnome. Pure Gtk would be enough for such a project.

> Chris

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: RE: Universal admin frontend

From
"Dave Cramer"
Date:
+1 for implementation in java. While it isn't the fastest it is platform
independant.

I would also suggest starting with something like druid, and making it
postgres specific.

Dave
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> > > - Both of them have limitations of what they can
> > > manage. You can't use them to backup/restore the
> > > database, to edit/see the postgresql configuration, to
> > > monitor the server(s), to start/stop server(s), ...
> > > It's dificult to take an _employer_, who only wants to
> > > do his job and go home, and say to him that we are
> > > going to replace the Oracle and SQLServer databases
> > > with Postgresql databases. In fact there are more
> > > reasons that the interface, but you are working
> > > already in the other problems and solving they fine.
> > > To say it briefly if an average IT manager asks you to
> > > "show him PostgreSQL" and you open pgsql or pgaccess
> > > you are done. Sad but true.
> >
> > What about a KDE or Gnome piece of software?  In fact, I believe that
such a
> > project may already be in its infancy...
>
> Please, dont' depend on those things. A lot of people dont' like
> KDE, Gnome. Pure Gtk would be enough for such a project.
>

> > Chris

> Regards,
> Oleg

RE: RE: Universal admin frontend

From
"D. Hageman"
Date:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> > What about a KDE or Gnome piece of software?  In fact, I believe that such a
> > project may already be in its infancy...
>
> Please, dont' depend on those things. A lot of people dont' like
> KDE, Gnome. Pure Gtk would be enough for such a project.

I think people go ahead and throw the KDE and Gnome functionality into a
piece of software just because they can (maybe because they like it as a
buzzword?).  Pure GTK would be best if that is the type of app you are
wanting to code and if you do decide to include gnome functionality -
don't make it some intwined with the rest of the code that their can't be
a --without-gnome switch to the configure program.

I do agree that java would be the best way to go.  I kinda cringe to say
that because most java apps I have seen are pretty lousy and buggy
(personal opinion - no need for flames or holy wars here).  I will say the
only java application I really did like was the java tools that Oracle
ships with their product.  Very nice, very fast and fairly stable (in my
experience) - so I know that a nice product can be made if the right
people worked on it and enough thought went into the project.

--
//========================================================\\
||  D. Hageman                    <dhageman@dracken.com>  ||

Re: Universal admin frontend

From
Thomas Swan
Date:
Michael Meskes wrote:<br /><blockquote cite="mid:20010620104335.A10444@feivel.fam-meskes.de" type="cite"><pre
wrap="">-Phppgadmin is a web based tool. You need a PHP<br />enabled web server. Most end users/admins don't want<br
/>tohave to configure a web server, PHP ("what is<br />PHP?") and to have a poor interface (I'm talking about<br />web
softwarewould need to be able to do. These tasks, may answer your questions or at least help decide which environment
wouldbest suit your admin tool.<br /><br /> AFIAA, there exists a port of Java for just about every OS that PostgreSQL
supports,not that it should be the only reason for choosing it.  Not that my vote counts, but I'd go for the java
approachand be willing to code a lot on the interface, anyone else interested?<br /><br /> To start this list off, the

Re: RE: Universal admin frontend

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 09:13:13AM +0200, Pedro Abelleira Seco wrote:
> To say it briefly if an average IT manager asks you to
> "show him PostgreSQL" and you open pgsql or pgaccess
> you are done. Sad but true.

Well, then open Access. What do you do when the same manager wants to
see your web server? Open IE?

Ross

Re: Re: Universal admin frontend

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
AFIAA, there exists a port of Java for just about every OS that PostgreSQL supports, not that it should be the only reason for choosing it.  Not that my vote counts, but I'd go for the java approach and be willing to code a lot on the interface, anyone else interested?

Anyone thought about wxPython? Much faster then java, can be distributed as a standalone executable on Windows.  Supports Unix / Mac / Windows.  Don't know if it supports more or less PG relevant platforms than Java.  I have been thinking about working on this type of tool myself.

Re: RE: Universal admin frontend

From
Reiner Dassing
Date:
Hello!

Why not go back to the roots of postgres?

PostgreSQL is written completely in C. The development community has
shown that it is
possible to write efficient code for different platforms with pure C.

The administration task can be separated in 2 different tasks:
A server (in C) which is really doing the administrative work.
A client programm written in what so ever (C + X11, Java, Perl, TCL/Tk,
....) which
performs the user interface.

I know that this a not the easiest way to do the job but the most
flexible (in my opinion).

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With best regards  Reiner Dassing

Date:
>Hello!

>Why not go back to the roots of postgres?

>PostgreSQL is written completely in C. The
development community has
>shown that it is
>possible to write efficient code for different
>platforms with pure C.

>The administration task can be separated in 2
different tasks:
>A server (in C) which is really doing the
administrative work.
>A client programm written in what so ever (C + X11,
Java, Perl, TCL/Tk,
>....) which performs the user interface.

I think you are totally right.

>I know that this a not the easiest way to do the job
but the most
>flexible (in my opinion).

In fact I believe that it is also the easiest.

Pedro

Yahoo! Messenger: Comunicación instantánea gratis con tu gente -
http://messenger.yahoo.es

RE: Universal admin frontend

From
"Mark Pritchard"
Date:
> >PostgreSQL is written completely in C. The development community
> >has shown that it is
[snip]
> >The administration task can be separated in 2 different tasks:
[snip]

Isn't this essentially the split between postmaster/workers and a client?
i.e. I don't know how much value is added by introducing another
communication protocol when JDBC would work fine. From my understanding of
the users API you can handle pretty much everything other than pg_dump. Eg
CREATE USER, CREATE DATABASE etc can all be issued from a client using
standard PostgreSQL SQL.

I'd have to cast my vote on the Java frontend.

Cheers,

Mark Pritchard

RE: Universal admin frontend

From
Colin Strickland
Date:
On 21 Jun 2001 19:23:09 +1000, Mark Pritchard wrote:
> > >PostgreSQL is written completely in C. The development community
> > >has shown that it is
> [snip]
> > >The administration task can be separated in 2 different tasks:
> [snip]
>
> Isn't this essentially the split between postmaster/workers and a client?
> i.e. I don't know how much value is added by introducing another
> communication protocol when JDBC would work fine. From my understanding of
> the users API you can handle pretty much everything other than pg_dump. Eg
> CREATE USER, CREATE DATABASE etc can all be issued from a client using
> standard PostgreSQL SQL.
>
> I'd have to cast my vote on the Java frontend.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark Pritchard

For an admin tool you might want to display OS info , server load,
database file sizes, logfile viewing etc.
I have been working on such a tool for my own use , ( GTK+ based front
end) and decided that a client / server model would be the most useful
approach. I was probably going to write a separate daemon rather than
integrate new stuff into the backend.

--
Colin M Strickland  perl -e'print "\n",map{chr(ord()-3)}(reverse split
//,"\015%vhlwlqxpprF#ir#uhzrS#hkw#jqlvvhqudK%#\015\015nx".

Date:
>For an admin tool you might want to display OS info ,
>server load,
>database file sizes, logfile viewing etc.
>I have been working on such a tool for my own use , (
>GTK+ based front
>end) and decided that a client / server model would
be >the most useful
>approach. I was probably going to write a separate
>daemon rather than
>integrate new stuff into the backend.

I agree. In fact one important thing is to be able to
edit the configuration of Postgres (of the different
servers) from the app. Administration should include
configuration. And backups, too (with a register of
them).
I also think that the separate daemon would be
necessary (you should be able to start/stop/restart
servers).
In a first aproximation one could write a totally
independent daemon able to manage the tasks not
accesible by the standard interface. I mean, no table,
user, ... management; this is solved. But it's clear
that it would be easier (and more reliable,
mantainable, elegant) not to have to duplicate things
like the config file parsing. One could pick code from
Postgres itself, but a copy/paste strategy is bad in
the long run (not so long, in fact).
If one could access some things of the Postgres
engine, it would be easy to have the daemon. But you
should compile such code in the postgres build
process, or have a API to ask Postgres this kind of
things. Both aproaches should have aproval/support by
the developers.
Of course at the start one can develop this as a
patch/addon to the Postgres code, but in the long run
it should be in the core distribution (with a option,
sure) for use by all the admin tools.
The only hard part is the communication protocol. It
have to be secure. Secure by design, so simple. And
usable for many diferent languages. But I think that,
for a start, one should abstract the communication
protocol in a interface to help us to concentrate in
the general problem, and to plug after a communication
lib.
Because one cannot simply start coding some that has
no one use case, my idea is to develop a Gui tool,
concentrating it in the aspects _not_ covered by other
tools (pgacces, phppgadmin, pgAdmin, ...) and with a
rough support for the usual aspects (user, tables
management, sql querys, ...) to have a good prototype
in wich experiment what is really needed in the
backend. Once this done you can mature the tool
independently. The other configuration tools can
extend to use the new capabilities if they want.

Pedro

Yahoo! Messenger: Comunicación instantánea gratis con tu gente -
http://messenger.yahoo.es

Re: Universal admin frontend

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
Colin Strickland wrote:

> > [snip]
> > [snip]
> >
> > Isn't this essentially the split between postmaster/workers and a client?
> > i.e. I don't know how much value is added by introducing another
> > communication protocol when JDBC would work fine. From my understanding of
> > the users API you can handle pretty much everything other than pg_dump. Eg
> > CREATE USER, CREATE DATABASE etc can all be issued from a client using
> > standard PostgreSQL SQL.
> >
> > I'd have to cast my vote on the Java frontend.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Mark Pritchard
> >

> For an admin tool you might want to display OS info , server load,
> database file sizes, logfile viewing etc.
> I have been working on such a tool for my own use , ( GTK+ based front
> end) and decided that a client / server model would be the most useful
> approach. I was probably going to write a separate daemon rather than
> integrate new stuff into the backend.

Actually we could start it by offering the standard SQL92 wiews for
system
tables and PG-standard PL/PGSQLfunctions for things that can't currently
be
done in SQL standard way, like removing primary key or dropping a
column.

Having _one_ _documented_ way for even the things that psql's \d
commands can
show would make writing other system tools much easier.

And yes, I think a separate deamon approach will be needed for many
things
anyway (like changing pg_hba.conf or firewall rules, showing system
logs, ...).

seems that something using some standard protocol (I would favour
XML-RPC (for
simplicity) over https (for security)) to expose actions would be a good
candidate for the daemon thingie.

--------------
Hannu

RE: Re: Universal admin frontend

From
Joe Shevland
Date:
I'd certainly be keen on helping out with a Java/Swing approach. It would be
an excellent test of the meta-data stuff in the JDBC driver and to catch any
ommissions. I'm willing to provide a homepage etc if wanted (and for some
reason the main postgres site isn't used), maybe Sourceforge could be a goer
too?. A lot of the code will end up being useful too I suspect for other
Java/Postgres projects.

Regards,
Joe

Date:
On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 02:32:59PM +1000, Joe Shevland wrote:
> I'd certainly be keen on helping out with a Java/Swing approach. It would be
> an excellent test of the meta-data stuff in the JDBC driver and to catch any
> ommissions. I'm willing to provide a homepage etc if wanted (and for some
> reason the main postgres site isn't used), maybe Sourceforge could be a goer
> too?. A lot of the code will end up being useful too I suspect for other
> Java/Postgres projects.

I'd suggest hosting it at www.greatbridge.org, for that very reason:
other Java/Postgres projects are more likely to find you there. And
that's where the existing admin type projects (phppgadmin, pgadmin)
are hosted, so you all can steal ideas from one another. ;-)

Ross

RE: Universal admin frontend

From
Pedro Abelleira Seco
Date:
Thank you all for your feedback. Now I know there is
interest for this tool. I'm going to do it. I will be
busy until the last week of July (including a little
vacation) so I'm going to start the work in August.
When the basic desing/shedule was ready and I had some
code I will announce it, but you have to wait at least
until September.

See you soon!

Pedro