Re: Universal admin frontend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Universal admin frontend
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Colin Strickland wrote:

> > [snip]
> > [snip]
> >
> > Isn't this essentially the split between postmaster/workers and a client?
> > i.e. I don't know how much value is added by introducing another
> > communication protocol when JDBC would work fine. From my understanding of
> > the users API you can handle pretty much everything other than pg_dump. Eg
> > CREATE USER, CREATE DATABASE etc can all be issued from a client using
> > standard PostgreSQL SQL.
> >
> > I'd have to cast my vote on the Java frontend.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Mark Pritchard
> >

> For an admin tool you might want to display OS info , server load,
> database file sizes, logfile viewing etc.
> I have been working on such a tool for my own use , ( GTK+ based front
> end) and decided that a client / server model would be the most useful
> approach. I was probably going to write a separate daemon rather than
> integrate new stuff into the backend.

Actually we could start it by offering the standard SQL92 wiews for
system
tables and PG-standard PL/PGSQLfunctions for things that can't currently
be
done in SQL standard way, like removing primary key or dropping a
column.

Having _one_ _documented_ way for even the things that psql's \d
commands can
show would make writing other system tools much easier.

And yes, I think a separate deamon approach will be needed for many
things
anyway (like changing pg_hba.conf or firewall rules, showing system
logs, ...).

seems that something using some standard protocol (I would favour
XML-RPC (for
simplicity) over https (for security)) to expose actions would be a good
candidate for the daemon thingie.

Hannu