Re: RE: Universal admin frontend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: RE: Universal admin frontend
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 09:13:13AM +0200, Pedro Abelleira Seco wrote:
> - Phppgadmin is a web based tool. You need a php
> enabled web server. Most end users/admins don't want
> to have to configure a web server, PHP ("what is
> PHP?") and to have a poor interface (I'm talking about
> web based interfaces in general, not the phppgadmin in
> particular).

Maybe, but then you are platform independent.

> - Both of them have limitations of what they can
> manage. You can't use them to backup/restore the
> database, to edit/see the postgresql configuration, to
> monitor the server(s), to start/stop server(s), ...

Correct. You need another sort of tool for that. If you go web based webmin
can do most of this, or at least aims at this.

> To say it briefly if an average IT manager asks you to
> "show him PostgreSQL" and you open pgsql or pgaccess
> you are done. Sad but true.

[I assume you mean psql with pgsql.]

Yes, but could show him that there are such tools with Oracle too. Sqlplus
is no better than psql for that matter. If you want to add your commands
inside a graphic tool you could use mpsql/kpsql which are unfortunately not
maintained anymore. Note, that I do not say the tools are there for all your
needs, but that I think there are quite some tools worth extending. I don't
think what we need is another tool that does parts of the job, but an effort
to build the one tool you can use for all of this. If this has to start from
scratch so be it. But maybe it's good idea to improve some other tool.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De