RE: Universal admin frontend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pedro Abelleira Seco
Subject RE: Universal admin frontend
Date
Re: RE: Universal admin frontend  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
Re: RE: Universal admin frontend  ("Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
> How about phppgadmin? I haven't checked in depth but
> it seems to be able to
> do quite a lot of these.

Yes, and pgaccess too, but I see cons in these two
tools:

- Pgaccess looks a bit poor. Tcl/Tk is not the
definitive user interface toolkit. Yes, it is enough
for many things, but not for all.

- Phppgadmin is a web based tool. You need a php
enabled web server. Most end users/admins don't want
to have to configure a web server, PHP ("what is
PHP?") and to have a poor interface (I'm talking about
web based interfaces in general, not the phppgadmin in
particular).

- Both of them have limitations of what they can
manage. You can't use them to backup/restore the
database, to edit/see the postgresql configuration, to
monitor the server(s), to start/stop server(s), ...
It's dificult to take an _employer_, who only wants to
do his job and go home, and say to him that we are
going to replace the Oracle and SQLServer databases
with Postgresql databases. In fact there are more
reasons that the interface, but you are working
already in the other problems and solving they fine.
To say it briefly if an average IT manager asks you to
"show him PostgreSQL" and you open pgsql or pgaccess
you are done. Sad but true.

> Michael
> --
> Michael Meskes