RE: RE: Universal admin frontend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From D. Hageman
Subject RE: RE: Universal admin frontend
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> > What about a KDE or Gnome piece of software?  In fact, I believe that such a
> > project may already be in its infancy...
>
> Please, dont' depend on those things. A lot of people dont' like
> KDE, Gnome. Pure Gtk would be enough for such a project.

I think people go ahead and throw the KDE and Gnome functionality into a
piece of software just because they can (maybe because they like it as a
buzzword?).  Pure GTK would be best if that is the type of app you are
wanting to code and if you do decide to include gnome functionality -
don't make it some intwined with the rest of the code that their can't be
a --without-gnome switch to the configure program.

I do agree that java would be the best way to go.  I kinda cringe to say
that because most java apps I have seen are pretty lousy and buggy
(personal opinion - no need for flames or holy wars here).  I will say the
only java application I really did like was the java tools that Oracle
ships with their product.  Very nice, very fast and fairly stable (in my
experience) - so I know that a nice product can be made if the right
people worked on it and enough thought went into the project.

--
||  D. Hageman                    <dhageman@dracken.com>  ||