9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Jeffrey Jones
Date:
Hello all

As I can tell the PostgreSQL 9.2 yum repository for use with RHEL6
(64bit) is broken.

On a fresh RHEL6.3 (64-bit) installation, as root, run the following
commands:

rpm -i
http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-redhat92-9.2-7.noarch.rpm
yum update

(As stated in the instructions on
http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/)

The yum update command fails with the following message (had to copy by
hand; please forgive formatting strangeness):

pgdg92                    | 2.8 kb 00:00
pgdg92/primary_db | 103 kb 00:00
http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2:
[Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror
pgdg92/primary_db | 103 kb 00:00
http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2:
[Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror
Error: failure: repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2 from pgdg92: [Errno 256] No
more mirrors to try.

This was working last week as far as I know so it looks like it has been
broken recently.

Can anyone confirm?

cheers

Jeff

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Jeff,

  The system which hosts yum.postgresql.org has been undergoing a bit of
  maintenance today.  I can't swear that's what the issue is, but would
  you mind giving it another shot..?  Things should be calming down at
  this point.

      Thanks!

        Stephen

* Jeffrey Jones (jjones@toppan-f.co.jp) wrote:
> As I can tell the PostgreSQL 9.2 yum repository for use with RHEL6
> (64bit) is broken.
>=20
> On a fresh RHEL6.3 (64-bit) installation, as root, run the following
> commands:
>=20
> rpm -i http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-redhat92-9=
=2E2-7.noarch.rpm
> yum update
>=20
> (As stated in the instructions on
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/)
>=20
> The yum update command fails with the following message (had to copy
> by hand; please forgive formatting strangeness):
>=20
> pgdg92                    | 2.8 kb 00:00
> pgdg92/primary_db | 103 kb 00:00
> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/repodata/primary=
=2Esqlite.bz2:
> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
> Trying other mirror
> pgdg92/primary_db | 103 kb 00:00
> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/repodata/primary=
=2Esqlite.bz2:
> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
> Trying other mirror
> Error: failure: repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2 from pgdg92: [Errno 256]
> No more mirrors to try.
>=20
> This was working last week as far as I know so it looks like it has
> been broken recently.
>=20
> Can anyone confirm?
>=20
> cheers
>=20
> Jeff
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> To make changes to your subscription:

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Jeffrey Jones
Date:
Hello Stephen.

I first ran into the issue yesterday my time (about 24 hours ago), I am
not sure
if you were doing maintenance work then as well. Just a bit more
information in
case it is not related to maintenance.

I just gave it another go (after a yum clean all) and the issue is still
persisting.

Do you want me to wait a few hours; try again and post again if the issue
is not resolved?

Cheers

Jeff

On 13/02/13 12:46, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Jeff,
>
>    The system which hosts yum.postgresql.org has been undergoing a bit of
>    maintenance today.  I can't swear that's what the issue is, but would
>    you mind giving it another shot..?  Things should be calming down at
>    this point.
>
>        Thanks!
>
>         Stephen
>
> * Jeffrey Jones (jjones@toppan-f.co.jp) wrote:
>> As I can tell the PostgreSQL 9.2 yum repository for use with RHEL6
>> (64bit) is broken.
>>
>> On a fresh RHEL6.3 (64-bit) installation, as root, run the following
>> commands:
>>
>> rpm -i http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-redhat92-9.2-7.noarch.rpm
>> yum update
>>
>> (As stated in the instructions on
>> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/)
>>
>> The yum update command fails with the following message (had to copy
>> by hand; please forgive formatting strangeness):
>>
>> pgdg92                    | 2.8 kb 00:00
>> pgdg92/primary_db | 103 kb 00:00
>> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2:
>> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
>> Trying other mirror
>> pgdg92/primary_db | 103 kb 00:00
>> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2:
>> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
>> Trying other mirror
>> Error: failure: repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2 from pgdg92: [Errno 256]
>> No more mirrors to try.
>>
>> This was working last week as far as I know so it looks like it has
>> been broken recently.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm?
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Jeff
>>

>> --

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Jeff,

* Jeffrey Jones (jjones@toppan-f.co.jp) wrote:
> I first ran into the issue yesterday my time (about 24 hours ago), I
> am not sure
> if you were doing maintenance work then as well. Just a bit more
> information in
> case it is not related to maintenance.

Ah, that's useful to know.  No, that wouldn't have been related.

> I just gave it another go (after a yum clean all) and the issue is
> still persisting.

Ugh, so much for hoping it was an easy/simple thing. :)

> Do you want me to wait a few hours; try again and post again if the issue
> is not resolved?

Sounds reasonable to me.  I'm trying to contact the 'yum master', but
I'm not sure exactly when he'll have a chance to look into what's up.

    Thanks!

        Stephen

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 12:03 +0900, Jeffrey Jones wrote:

> As I can tell the PostgreSQL 9.2 yum repository for use with RHEL6
> (64bit) is broken.
>
> On a fresh RHEL6.3 (64-bit) installation, as root, run the following
> commands:
>
> rpm -i
> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-redhat92-9.2-7.noarch.rpm
> yum update
>
> (As stated in the instructions on
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/)
>
> The yum update command fails with the following message (had to copy by
> hand; please forgive formatting strangeness):
>
> pgdg92                    | 2.8 kb 00:00
> pgdg92/primary_db | 103 kb 00:00
> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2:
> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
> Trying other mirror

That should not happen, and I could not reproduce this in build
machines, staging machine and my own machine. Still, I refreshed
metadata cache. Could you please run

yum clean all; yum makecache

and then install the package? Between Saturday and Tuesday, I added
various new packages to the repository several times. You were probably
caught between them.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Jeffrey Jones
Date:
Hello Devrim

I have run the commands as you specified but unfortunately the error
pops up again when I run yum makecache.

I have tried this on two separately built VMs, the exact details are:

RHEL 6.3 (64 bit)
Registered with RedHat using subscription-manager
rhel-server-optional-rpms subscribed
Epel repository added via rpm
postgres repository added via rpm

I cannot believe that the other repositories would have an effect but
for the sake of completeness I thought I should list em.

I have tried running the makecache command with the debug flag but I
cannot get further useful information from what has been written already.

Is there a way I can get the metadata file directly so we can see the
raw file and compare it?

Thanks

Jeff

On 13/02/13 17:10, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 12:03 +0900, Jeffrey Jones wrote:
>
>> As I can tell the PostgreSQL 9.2 yum repository for use with RHEL6
>> (64bit) is broken.
>>
>> On a fresh RHEL6.3 (64-bit) installation, as root, run the following
>> commands:
>>
>> rpm -i
>> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-redhat92-9.2-7.noarch.rpm
>> yum update
>>
>> (As stated in the instructions on
>> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/)
>>
>> The yum update command fails with the following message (had to copy by
>> hand; please forgive formatting strangeness):
>>
>> pgdg92                    | 2.8 kb 00:00
>> pgdg92/primary_db | 103 kb 00:00
>> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2:
>> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
>> Trying other mirror
> That should not happen, and I could not reproduce this in build
> machines, staging machine and my own machine. Still, I refreshed
> metadata cache. Could you please run
>
> yum clean all; yum makecache
>
> and then install the package? Between Saturday and Tuesday, I added
> various new packages to the repository several times. You were probably
> caught between them.
>
> Regards,

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 17:27 +0900, Jeffrey Jones wrote:

> I have run the commands as you specified but unfortunately the error
> pops up again when I run yum makecache.

Same error? That is *almost* impossible -- makecache is the parameter to
get rid of that error, not to see that error. Could you please paste the
makecache output?

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Jeffrey Jones
Date:
Actually, the URL for the meta-data file is right there in the error
message.

I will do a wget and see if I can see anything obviously wrong.

On 13/02/13 17:27, Jeffrey Jones wrote:
> Hello Devrim
>
> I have run the commands as you specified but unfortunately the error
> pops up again when I run yum makecache.
>
> I have tried this on two separately built VMs, the exact details are:
>
> RHEL 6.3 (64 bit)
> Registered with RedHat using subscription-manager
> rhel-server-optional-rpms subscribed
> Epel repository added via rpm
> postgres repository added via rpm
>
> I cannot believe that the other repositories would have an effect but
> for the sake of completeness I thought I should list em.
>
> I have tried running the makecache command with the debug flag but I
> cannot get further useful information from what has been written already.
>
> Is there a way I can get the metadata file directly so we can see the
> raw file and compare it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff
>
> On 13/02/13 17:10, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 12:03 +0900, Jeffrey Jones wrote:
>>
>>> As I can tell the PostgreSQL 9.2 yum repository for use with RHEL6
>>> (64bit) is broken.
>>>
>>> On a fresh RHEL6.3 (64-bit) installation, as root, run the following
>>> commands:
>>>
>>> rpm -i
>>> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-redhat92-9.2-7.noarch.rpm
>>>
>>> yum update
>>>
>>> (As stated in the instructions on
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/)
>>>
>>> The yum update command fails with the following message (had to copy by
>>> hand; please forgive formatting strangeness):
>>>
>>> pgdg92                    | 2.8 kb 00:00
>>> pgdg92/primary_db | 103 kb 00:00
>>> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2:
>>>
>>> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
>>> Trying other mirror
>> That should not happen, and I could not reproduce this in build
>> machines, staging machine and my own machine. Still, I refreshed
>> metadata cache. Could you please run
>>
>> yum clean all; yum makecache
>>
>> and then install the package? Between Saturday and Tuesday, I added
>> various new packages to the repository several times. You were probably
>> caught between them.
>>
>> Regards,

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Jeffrey Jones
Date:
Hello Devrim

I had to type from console to so maintain formatting I put it on a paste
site:

https://gist.github.com/rurounijones/4943156

I have to leave the office in a moment unfortunately so I will be back
in about 18 hours.

Thanks

Jeff

On 13/02/13 17:31, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 17:27 +0900, Jeffrey Jones wrote:
>
>> I have run the commands as you specified but unfortunately the error
>> pops up again when I run yum makecache.
> Same error? That is *almost* impossible -- makecache is the parameter to
> get rid of that error, not to see that error. Could you please paste the
> makecache output?
>
> Regards,

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 17:49 +0900, Jeffrey Jones wrote:
> I had to type from console to so maintain formatting I put it on a
> paste  site:
>
> https://gist.github.com/rurounijones/4943156
This is interesting:

Error: failure: repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2 from pgsg92: [Errno] No more
mirrors to try.

What is pgsg92? Maybe there is a firewall or proxy or satellite server
or misconfigured repo around?
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Jeffrey Jones
Date:
Hi Devrim

Damn, sorry that was a typo, I had to manually copy the output, sorry.

Thanks

Jeff

On 14/02/13 01:08, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 17:49 +0900, Jeffrey Jones wrote:
>> I had to type from console to so maintain formatting I put it on a
>> paste  site:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/rurounijones/4943156
> This is interesting:
>
> Error: failure: repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2 from pgsg92: [Errno] No more
> mirrors to try.
>
> What is pgsg92? Maybe there is a firewall or proxy or satellite server
> or misconfigured repo around?

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Jeffrey Jones
Date:
Hello All

I have updated the gist with the correction and tried again this evening
but that error is still occurring.

Thanks

Jeff

On 14/02/13 09:06, Jeffrey Jones wrote:
> Hi Devrim
>
> Damn, sorry that was a typo, I had to manually copy the output, sorry.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff
>
> On 14/02/13 01:08, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 17:49 +0900, Jeffrey Jones wrote:
>>> I had to type from console to so maintain formatting I put it on a
>>> paste  site:
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/rurounijones/4943156
>> This is interesting:
>>
>> Error: failure: repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2 from pgsg92: [Errno] No more
>> mirrors to try.
>>
>> What is pgsg92? Maybe there is a firewall or proxy or satellite server
>> or misconfigured repo around?

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Jeffrey Jones
Date:
Hello Devrim and co

I downloaded
http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2
using wget on the afected computer and ran md5sum over it with the
following result:

9258bd5672cf7abb55a0d95ee2467afc  primary.sqlite.bz2

I have downloaded it from a few separate computers and they all return
that same result.

Could someone else do the same and make sure that they get the same
result? (To eliminate the company network as a possible culprit)?

I also extracted and looked at the sqlite file  with sqliteman and it
worked without trouble. If there really was a problem then I would have
expected sqliteman to fail reading the file.

Also: Is there a way to check the *actual* file that is downloaded by
yum itself?

cheers

Jeff

Date:
* Jeffrey Jones (jjones@toppan-f.co.jp) wrote:
> I downloaded http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/rep=
odata/primary.sqlite.bz2
> using wget on the afected computer and ran md5sum over it with the
> following result:
>=20
> 9258bd5672cf7abb55a0d95ee2467afc  primary.sqlite.bz2

That's pretty cute.  I get:

sfrost@tamriel:/home/sfrost> md5sum primary.sqlite.bz2
168232945d791e55e56bb29757458157  primary.sqlite.bz2

Which matches an md5sum run on the file on the server directly and the
file timestamp indicates that it hasn't changed for ~2 days.

Have you tried opening the file you end up receiving and inspecting it?
Something is clearly off if you're getting a different md5sum.

> I have downloaded it from a few separate computers and they all
> return that same result.

Can you try from a system that isn't attached to your corporate network?

> I also extracted and looked at the sqlite file  with sqliteman and
> it worked without trouble. If there really was a problem then I
> would have expected sqliteman to fail reading the file.

Agreed, that's curious- perhaps there's a cacheing transparent proxy in
the corporate network that's feeding you an older, but otherwise valid,
file?

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken?

From
Jeffrey Jones
Date:
Hi Stephen.

On 15/02/13 10:52, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Jeffrey Jones (jjones@toppan-f.co.jp) wrote:
>> I downloaded http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-6Server-x86_64/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2
>> using wget on the afected computer and ran md5sum over it with the
>> following result:
>>
>> 9258bd5672cf7abb55a0d95ee2467afc  primary.sqlite.bz2
> That's pretty cute.  I get:
>
> sfrost@tamriel:/home/sfrost> md5sum primary.sqlite.bz2
> 168232945d791e55e56bb29757458157  primary.sqlite.bz2
>
> Which matches an md5sum run on the file on the server directly and the
> file timestamp indicates that it hasn't changed for ~2 days.
>
> Have you tried opening the file you end up receiving and inspecting it?
> Something is clearly off if you're getting a different md5sum.
Thanks for the confirmation (Love the machine name by the way), based on
your info it does look like something between myself and
yum.postresql.org is causing trouble.
>> I have downloaded it from a few separate computers and they all
>> return that same result.
> Can you try from a system that isn't attached to your corporate network?
Yea, I think I will have to try from home as well.

>> I also extracted and looked at the sqlite file  with sqliteman and
>> it worked without trouble. If there really was a problem then I
>> would have expected sqliteman to fail reading the file.
> Agreed, that's curious- perhaps there's a cacheing transparent proxy in
> the corporate network that's feeding you an older, but otherwise valid,
> file?
I shall contact the network bods and see if they can offer any enlightenment

>     Thanks,
>
>         Stephen

Thanks for taking the time out to confirm. At least we now know it is
probably not yum.postgresql.org or my actual machines

cheers

Jeff

Re: 9.2 RHEL6 yum Repository broken? (SOLVED...but how?)

From
Jeffrey Jones
Date:
Hello all.

As a final postscript to this issue. I tried downloading the file using
a server in our DMZ (direct net connection) and that worked.

I therefore contacted our network guys, explained the situation and they
are contacting the vendor who supplies our proxy.

While the vendor hasn't replied yet the download has started magically
working again so I am assuming they have fixed it and haven't gotten
back to us yet.

At least I hope that is the case, this suddenly stopped working and I
would be worried if it suddenly started working again, ah the joys of
having a non-deterministic network.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Jeff