Male/female

From
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Date:
Just wondering.....how do list member represent gender when storing
details of people in a database?

I've done it two ways:

* A bool column, with the understanding that true/false represents
one gender or the other.

* Create a domain, something like:
CREATE DOMAIN gender_domain
  AS character varying(7)
  NOT NULL
   CONSTRAINT gender_domain_check CHECK ((((VALUE)::text =
'male'::text) OR ((VALUE)::text = 'Female'::text)))

I personally prefer the second, as it's self-documenting...is there
any other/better way of doing it?

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell
Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Galway, Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Male/female

From
John Meyer
Date:
Second method might be better.

Of course, you could also do a one chracter gender "M/F" if you want to
save space.

Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> Just wondering.....how do list member represent gender when storing
> details of people in a database?
>
> I've done it two ways:
>
> * A bool column, with the understanding that true/false represents
> one gender or the other.
>
> * Create a domain, something like:
> CREATE DOMAIN gender_domain
>   AS character varying(7)
>   NOT NULL
>    CONSTRAINT gender_domain_check CHECK ((((VALUE)::text =
> 'male'::text) OR ((VALUE)::text = 'Female'::text)))
>
> I personally prefer the second, as it's self-documenting...is there
> any other/better way of doing it?
>
> --Ray.

> Raymond O'Donnell
> Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Galway, Ireland
> rod@iol.ie

Re: Male/female

From
Ron Johnson
Date:

Re: Male/female

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> schrieb:

> Just wondering.....how do list member represent gender when storing
> details of people in a database?
>
> I've done it two ways:
>
> * A bool column, with the understanding that true/false represents
> one gender or the other.
>
> * Create a domain, something like:
> CREATE DOMAIN gender_domain
>   AS character varying(7)
>   NOT NULL
>    CONSTRAINT gender_domain_check CHECK ((((VALUE)::text =
> 'male'::text) OR ((VALUE)::text = 'Female'::text)))

What about with Hermaphroditism?

SCNR.

Andreas
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)

Re: Male/female

From
Berend Tober
Date:

--
-- PostgreSQL database dump
--

CREATE TABLE gender (
    gender_pk SERIAL,

COMMENT ON TABLE gender IS 'This table defines currently valid gender
types (and allows for god knows what..).';

COPY gender (gender_pk, gender) FROM stdin;
0    (unknown)
1    Male
2    Female
3    Trans
\.

ALTER TABLE ONLY gender ADD CONSTRAINT gender_pkey PRIMARY KEY (gender_pk);

Re: Male/female

From
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Date:
On Friday 8. December 2006 16:23, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
>Just wondering.....how do list member represent gender when storing
>details of people in a database?
>
>I've done it two ways:
>
>* A bool column, with the understanding that true/false represents
>one gender or the other.
>
>* Create a domain, something like:
>CREATE DOMAIN gender_domain
>  AS character varying(7)
>  NOT NULL
>   CONSTRAINT gender_domain_check CHECK ((((VALUE)::text =
>'male'::text) OR ((VALUE)::text = 'Female'::text)))
>
>I personally prefer the second, as it's self-documenting...is there
>any other/better way of doing it?

There's actually an ISO standard (ISO 5218) for representing gender with
numeric values: 0 = Unknown, 1 = Male, 2 = Female, 9 = not specified
(or N/A).
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE

Re: Male/female

From
John Meyer
Date:
> COPY gender (gender_pk, gender) FROM stdin;
> 0    (unknown)
> 1    Male
> 2    Female
> 3    Trans
> \.

Not to take this completely off track, but isn't transgendered not so
much a gender as it is a process of moving from one gender to another?

Re: Male/female

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 03:23:11PM -0000, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> Just wondering.....how do list member represent gender when storing
> details of people in a database?

I usually use a table called gender which has one TEXT column, that
being its primary key.  For one client I had, there were seven rows in
this table.

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: Male/female

From
Steve Wampler
Date:
Andreas Kretschmer wrote:
> What about with Hermaphroditism?

More seriously - is the gender something you always know?  There
are situations in the US where you cannot force someone to divulge
their gender.  So you may need an 'unreported' value of some sort.

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler@noao.edu

Re: Male/female

From
John Meyer
Date:
Seven genders?  Even San Fransisco thinks that's over the top.
David Fetter wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 03:23:11PM -0000, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
>> Just wondering.....how do list member represent gender when storing
>> details of people in a database?
>
> I usually use a table called gender which has one TEXT column, that
> being its primary key.  For one client I had, there were seven rows in
> this table.
>
> Cheers,

Re: Male/female

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 09:31 -0700, John Meyer wrote:
> > COPY gender (gender_pk, gender) FROM stdin;
> > 0    (unknown)
> > 1    Male
> > 2    Female
> > 3    Trans
> > \.
>

> Not to take this completely off track, but isn't transgendered not so
> much a gender as it is a process of moving from one gender to another?

Yes, but further I don't know of any country that recognizes anything
but Male or Female.

Joshua D. Drake

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Male/female

From
Jorge Godoy
Date:

> Yes, but further I don't know of any country that recognizes anything
> but Male or Female.

I haven't read the beginning of the thread, but will this table be used only
for humans?  There are animals that are hermafrodites (I hope I got the
English correct...) or whose sex is only identifiable after a period of time
(days or months, usually).

So, for researchers it would be interesting to have more options.

Also, if you're doing statistics on something where the sexual option (and
transgerderness) is important, then there should be some way to point that.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>

Re: Male/female

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 10:44, John Meyer wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 03:23:11PM -0000, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> >> Just wondering.....how do list member represent gender when storing
> >> details of people in a database?
> >
> > I usually use a table called gender which has one TEXT column, that
> > being its primary key.  For one client I had, there were seven rows in
> > this table.
>
> Seven genders?  Even San Fransisco thinks that's over the top.

Let's see.

Male
Female
Hermaphrodite
Trans (MTF)
Trans (FTM)
Neuter

and... I can't think of a seventh possibility.

Re: Male/female

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 11:05, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 09:31 -0700, John Meyer wrote:
> > > COPY gender (gender_pk, gender) FROM stdin;
> > > 0    (unknown)
> > > 1    Male
> > > 2    Female
> > > 3    Trans
> > > \.
> >

> > Not to take this completely off track, but isn't transgendered not so
> > much a gender as it is a process of moving from one gender to another?
>
> Yes, but further I don't know of any country that recognizes anything
> but Male or Female.

In thailand, there are highschools with bathrooms for the transgendered
MTF girls.  Not sure if the country itself recognized MTF trans as a
gender or not though.

Re: Male/female

From
Berend Tober
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 09:31 -0700, John Meyer wrote:
>
>>> COPY gender (gender_pk, gender) FROM stdin;
>>> 0    (unknown)
>>> 1    Male
>>> 2    Female
>>> 3    Trans
>>> \.
>>>
>> Not to take this completely off track, but isn't transgendered not so
>> much a gender as it is a process of moving from one gender to another?
>>

> Yes, but further I don't know of any country that recognizes anything
> but Male or Female.

... Yet.

Re: Male/female

From
Berend Tober
Date:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 10:44, John Meyer wrote:
>
>> David Fetter wrote:

>>> I usually use a table called gender which has one TEXT column, that
>>> being its primary key.  For one client I had, there were seven rows in
>>> this table.
>>>
>> Seven genders?  Even San Fransisco thinks that's over the top.
>>

> Let's see.
>
> Male
> Female
> Hermaphrodite
> Trans (MTF)
> Trans (FTM)
> Neuter
>
> and... I can't think of a seventh possibility.

"Unspecified"

Re: Male/female

From
brian
Date:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 10:44, John Meyer wrote:
>
>>David Fetter wrote:

>>>I usually use a table called gender which has one TEXT column, that
>>>being its primary key.  For one client I had, there were seven rows in
>>>this table.
>>
>>Seven genders?  Even San Fransisco thinks that's over the top.
>

> Let's see.
>
> Male
> Female
> Hermaphrodite
> Trans (MTF)
> Trans (FTM)
> Neuter
>
> and... I can't think of a seventh possibility.

As has been pointed out, some governments forbid the collection of
gender information, so the seventh would be unknown/unreported.

brian

Re: Male/female

From
John Meyer
Date:
I guess in the end it really depends on what the client wants to track
and what they don't.  But this does actually have a serious implication,
and that is how do you code for something that is mutable vs. something
that supposedly is or very nearly immutable (i.e. the alphabet).

Re: Male/female

From
"Brian J. Erickson"
Date:
That not including Genetics,
where and individual could have
multiple X Chromomes individuals
Or be XY - female times those other
6 (or 7).

> >>Seven genders?  Even San Fransisco thinks that's over the top.
> >

> > Let's see.
> >
> > Male
> > Female
> > Hermaphrodite
> > Trans (MTF)
> > Trans (FTM)
> > Neuter
> >
> > and... I can't think of a seventh possibility.
> >

> As has been pointed out, some governments forbid the collection of
> gender information, so the seventh would be unknown/unreported.
>
> brian

>        match

Re: Male/female

From
Madison Kelly
Date:
Jorge Godoy wrote:

>> Yes, but further I don't know of any country that recognizes anything
>> but Male or Female.
>
> I haven't read the beginning of the thread, but will this table be used only
> for humans?  There are animals that are hermafrodites (I hope I got the
> English correct...) or whose sex is only identifiable after a period of time
> (days or months, usually).
>
> So, for researchers it would be interesting to have more options.
>
> Also, if you're doing statistics on something where the sexual option (and
> transgerderness) is important, then there should be some way to point that.

Some people argue that gender is a spectrum. If you want to be very
inclusive. Maybe you could use a 'float' and stick with 0 = woman, 1 =
man (self documenting after all) with the option of '0.1 - 0.9' for
people who feel "in between". How efficient is 'float'? This would also
work for animals that fall outside then normal male/female designation.

Madi

Re: Male/female

From
Steve Crawford
Date:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 10:44, John Meyer wrote:
>> David Fetter wrote:
>>> I usually use a table called gender which has one TEXT column, that
>>> being its primary key.  For one client I had, there were seven rows in
>>> this table.
>> Seven genders?  Even San Fransisco thinks that's over the top.
>
> Let's see.
>
> Male
> Female
> Hermaphrodite
> Trans (MTF)
> Trans (FTM)
> Neuter

Just went in for my every-8-week blood donation. They have a new
question in the screening form: "gender at birth".

So if you decide that you can classify gender (or more properly "sex",
as gender primarily relates to grammar) into a data type consisting of
male and female, you can create whatever columns are necessary for your app:

anatomical_sex_at_birth
anatomical_sex_current
anatomical_sex_desired_for_self
chromosomal_sex
preferred_anatomical_sex_of_partner

Of course this breaks apart when dealing with that very rare syndrome
(name escapes me) where the child appears female at birth but is
actually a male whose male sex-organs descend and appear at puberty so I
guess we need to add apparent_sex_at_birth.

I realize that preferred_anatomical_sex_of_partner leaves a variety of
unresolved possibilities but none as severe as those introduced by
tetragametic chimerism. And there are others still resulting from the
situation of in-progress transgender.

But nobody said database design was easy. :)

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Male/female

From
Ron Johnson
Date:

Re: Male/female

From
Ron Johnson
Date:

Re: Male/female

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 11:13:03AM -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 10:44, John Meyer wrote:
> > David Fetter wrote:
> > >
> > > I usually use a table called gender which has one TEXT column, that
> > > being its primary key.  For one client I had, there were seven rows in
> > > this table.
> >
> > Seven genders?  Even San Fransisco thinks that's over the top.
>
> Let's see.
>
> Male
> Female
> Hermaphrodite

This read, "Intersexed"

> Trans (MTF)
> Trans (FTM)
> Neuter
>
> and... I can't think of a seventh possibility.

"Decline to state"

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: Male/female

From
Ben
Date:
Isn't that why we have null?

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Steve Wampler wrote:

> Andreas Kretschmer wrote:
>> What about with Hermaphroditism?
>
> More seriously - is the gender something you always know?  There
> are situations in the US where you cannot force someone to divulge
> their gender.  So you may need an 'unreported' value of some sort.
>

> --
> Steve Wampler -- swampler@noao.edu
> The gods that smiled on your birth are now laughing out loud.

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Male/female

From
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Date:
On 8 Dec 2006 at 15:12, Jorge Godoy wrote:

> I haven't read the beginning of the thread, but will this table be
> used only for humans?  There are animals that are hermafrodites (I hope

Many thanks to all who responded - I had no idea of the monster I was
creating in starting this thread!

Yes, the table is used only for humans; it's part of some
administrative software I'm writing for an educational institution,
and the primary purpose of the gender column is to help the users
cope with a problem new to the west of Ireland - the large influx of
immigrants from Africa, eastern Europe and elsewhere means that it's
no longer possible to tell a student's gender just from their
name....!

Date:
On 8 Dec 2006 at 11:13, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> Male
> Female
> Hermaphrodite
> Trans (MTF)
> Trans (FTM)
> Neuter
>
> and... I can't think of a seventh possibility.

How about just plain confused??

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell
Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Galway, Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Male/female

From
Richard Troy

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

> Yes, the table is used only for humans; it's part of some
> administrative software I'm writing for an educational institution,
> and the primary purpose of the gender column is to help the users
> cope with a problem new to the west of Ireland - the large influx of
> immigrants from Africa, eastern Europe and elsewhere means that it's
> no longer possible to tell a student's gender just from their
> name....!
>
> --Ray.

Ray, darest I point out that that's never been possible in English anyway?
There are dozens if not hundreds of androgenous names - Pat and Tracy come
immediately to mind, and there are countless others!

RT

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist
Science Tools Corporation

Re: Male/female

From
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Date:
On 8 Dec 2006 at 12:17, Richard Troy wrote:

> Ray, darest I point out that that's never been possible in English
> anyway? There are dozens if not hundreds of androgenous names - Pat and
> Tracy come immediately to mind, and there are countless others!

You're correct, of course - but this is the reason I was given when
asked to include it.

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell
Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Galway, Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Male/female

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
On 12/8/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 09:31 -0700, John Meyer wrote:
> > > COPY gender (gender_pk, gender) FROM stdin;
> > > 0    (unknown)
> > > 1    Male
> > > 2    Female
> > > 3    Trans
> > > \.
> >

> > Not to take this completely off track, but isn't transgendered not so
> > much a gender as it is a process of moving from one gender to another?
>
> Yes, but further I don't know of any country that recognizes anything
> but Male or Female.

what if you are maintaining a database for a surgeon who performs sex
changes? we may have to consider the element of time here!  I'd go
with a composite type with custom input and output functions (for
privacy)!  What about simple bacteria (unisexual)?  hm. maybe a new
branch of calculus is in order here.

merlin

Proposed ISO solution to Male/female

From
Richard Troy

<big-snip>

> > Male
> > Female
> > Hermaphrodite
>
> This read, "Intersexed"
>
> > Trans (MTF)
> > Trans (FTM)
> > Neuter
> >
> > and... I can't think of a seventh possibility.
>
> "Decline to state"

ISO 5218 takes 22 pages to give us four oddly placed values for male,
female, and two versions of null, "unknown" and "not aplicable."
Interestingly, it doesn't include "declined to state." The values are as
previously stated:

0 = unknown
1 = male
2 = female
9 = not aplicable

As pointed out above, there really are more legitimate values. To track
all of them and still be aproximagely ISO compatible, I propose the
following. Based on the observation that ISO 5318 mathematically specifies
male as odd and female as even, the y-chromosome containing sexes (which
include hermaphrodites), shall be odd. This leaves unknown, as even, and
perhaps neuter can be not aplicable, since we don't know. ... This does
leave "declined to state" as a valid form of "null."

From this I propose the following:

0 = unknown
1 = male
2 = female
3 = hermaphrodite
4 = female to male transgender
5 = male to female transgender
6 =
7 =
8 = declined to state
9 = Neuter - Not applicable

One could also move the blanks around  like this, which might be useful:

0 = unknown
1 = male
2 = female
3 =
4 = female to male transgender
5 = male to female transgender
6 =
7 = hermaphrodite
8 = declined to state
9 = Neuter - Not applicable

Hmmm... Easy to write the various functions making this a new datatype...

Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist
Science Tools Corporation
510-924-1363 or 202-747-1263
rtroy@ScienceTools.com, http://ScienceTools.com/

Re: Male/female

From
"John D. Burger"
Date:
Steve Crawford wrote:

> Of course this breaks apart when dealing with that very rare syndrome
> (name escapes me) where the child appears female at birth but is
> actually a male whose male sex-organs descend and appear at puberty
> so I
> guess we need to add apparent_sex_at_birth.

It turns out there are lots of ways apparent and genetic gender can
differ - some experts estimate that as many as 2% of all births do
not fall within strict definitions of M/F, although many might never
be discovered.  That and the increasing number of elective
transsexuals argues that the kind of discussion we're having now may
be de rigueur for DBAs in the future, at least in the medical field.

- John Burger
   MITRE

Re: Male/female

From
Steve Crawford
Date:
Richard Troy wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
>> Yes, the table is used only for humans; it's part of some
>> administrative software I'm writing for an educational institution,
>> and the primary purpose of the gender column is to help the users
>> cope with a problem new to the west of Ireland - the large influx of
>> immigrants from Africa, eastern Europe and elsewhere means that it's
>> no longer possible to tell a student's gender just from their
>> name....!
>>
>> --Ray.
>
> Ray, darest I point out that that's never been possible in English anyway?
> There are dozens if not hundreds of androgenous names - Pat and Tracy come
> immediately to mind, and there are countless others!

Or with Irish names: Sheridan, Tara, Shay, Shannon, Rory, Ronan, Riley,
Renny, Regan, Quinn, Murphy, Keverne, Keeley, Kane, Erin, Darby, Dara,
Cary, ...

Yes, I was researching baby names not all that long ago... :)

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Male/female

From
Oisin Glynn
Date:
Steve Crawford wrote:
> Richard Troy wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, the table is used only for humans; it's part of some
>>> administrative software I'm writing for an educational institution,
>>> and the primary purpose of the gender column is to help the users
>>> cope with a problem new to the west of Ireland - the large influx of
>>> immigrants from Africa, eastern Europe and elsewhere means that it's
>>> no longer possible to tell a student's gender just from their
>>> name....!
>>>
>>> --Ray.
>>>
>> Ray, darest I point out that that's never been possible in English anyway?
>> There are dozens if not hundreds of androgenous names - Pat and Tracy come
>> immediately to mind, and there are countless others!
>>

> Or with Irish names: Sheridan, Tara, Shay, Shannon, Rory, Ronan, Riley,
> Renny, Regan, Quinn, Murphy, Keverne, Keeley, Kane, Erin, Darby, Dara,
> Cary, ...
>
> Yes, I was researching baby names not all that long ago... :)
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Man this thing has strayed off topic and I am joining in!
Most of these "Irish Names" are family names that  have been assumed as
first names (Murphy, Quinn, Riley, etc) that FYI you will almost never
find in Ireland! Although never heard of Ronán being used for a girl but
I there is a boy called Eve and a girl called Adam somewhere!

Oisín (A *real* Irish Name)

Attachment

Re: Proposed ISO solution to Male/female

From
Ron Johnson
Date:

Date:
On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 04:15:10PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 12/08/06 14:40, Richard Troy wrote:
> >
> > <big-snip>
> >
> [snip]
> > 0 = unknown
> > 1 = male
> > 2 = female
> > 3 =
> > 4 = female to male transgender
> > 5 = male to female transgender
> > 6 =
> > 7 = hermaphrodite
> > 8 = declined to state
> > 9 = Neuter - Not applicable
> >
> > Hmmm... Easy to write the various functions making this a new
> > datatype...
>
> Is TG a biological state or a social state?

It depends.  In fact, it depends so much on what kind of thing you're
looking at that I'm pretty sure no single canonical list of genders
can make sense.

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: Male/female

From
AgentM
Date:
While this thread is tangentially interesting, due to the magic of
relational relationships, the point is really moot. If you are really
worried about various gender states in the future, just create a
table called "gender" and reference it and update it as necessary- done.

-M

Re: Male/female

From
Jorge Godoy
Date:
Madison Kelly <linux@alteeve.com> writes:

> Some people argue that gender is a spectrum. If you want to be very
> inclusive. Maybe you could use a 'float' and stick with 0 = woman, 1 = man
> (self documenting after all) with the option of '0.1 - 0.9' for people who
> feel "in between". How efficient is 'float'? This would also work for animals
> that fall outside then normal male/female designation.

Then you can use NULL to represent unknown information but you miss the other
possibility that was pointed out: the person refused to inform the gender.  To
cover all these possibilities with one single column we need a set of discrete
states.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>

Re: Male/female

From
"Michael Nolan"
Date:
IMHO you need at least five values:

Male
Female
Unknown (aka NULL)
Not Available
Not Applicable

BTW, my wife's grandfather's given name was "Pearl".

A few years ago I taught a lesson to a group of about 30 third grade students.  There were 6 students in that class with a first name pronounced like "Meagan", though there were 4 different spellings of it.  Only 5 of them were girls.
--
Mike Nolan