Re: Male/female - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: Male/female
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8 Dec 2006 at 15:12, Jorge Godoy wrote:

> I haven't read the beginning of the thread, but will this table be
> used only for humans?  There are animals that are hermafrodites (I hope

Many thanks to all who responded - I had no idea of the monster I was
creating in starting this thread!

Yes, the table is used only for humans; it's part of some
administrative software I'm writing for an educational institution,
and the primary purpose of the gender column is to help the users
cope with a problem new to the west of Ireland - the large influx of
immigrants from Africa, eastern Europe and elsewhere means that it's
no longer possible to tell a student's gender just from their
name....!

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell
Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Galway, Ireland
rod@iol.ie