Proposed ISO solution to Male/female - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Troy
Subject Proposed ISO solution to Male/female
Date
List pgsql-general

<big-snip>

> > Male
> > Female
> > Hermaphrodite
>
> This read, "Intersexed"
>
> > Trans (MTF)
> > Trans (FTM)
> > Neuter
> >
> > and... I can't think of a seventh possibility.
>
> "Decline to state"

ISO 5218 takes 22 pages to give us four oddly placed values for male,
female, and two versions of null, "unknown" and "not aplicable."
Interestingly, it doesn't include "declined to state." The values are as
previously stated:

0 = unknown
1 = male
2 = female
9 = not aplicable

As pointed out above, there really are more legitimate values. To track
all of them and still be aproximagely ISO compatible, I propose the
following. Based on the observation that ISO 5318 mathematically specifies
male as odd and female as even, the y-chromosome containing sexes (which
include hermaphrodites), shall be odd. This leaves unknown, as even, and
perhaps neuter can be not aplicable, since we don't know. ... This does
leave "declined to state" as a valid form of "null."

From this I propose the following:

0 = unknown
1 = male
2 = female
3 = hermaphrodite
4 = female to male transgender
5 = male to female transgender
6 =
7 =
8 = declined to state
9 = Neuter - Not applicable

One could also move the blanks around  like this, which might be useful:

0 = unknown
1 = male
2 = female
3 =
4 = female to male transgender
5 = male to female transgender
6 =
7 = hermaphrodite
8 = declined to state
9 = Neuter - Not applicable

Hmmm... Easy to write the various functions making this a new datatype...

Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist
Science Tools Corporation