Re: Male/female - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John D. Burger
Subject Re: Male/female
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Crawford wrote:

> Of course this breaks apart when dealing with that very rare syndrome
> (name escapes me) where the child appears female at birth but is
> actually a male whose male sex-organs descend and appear at puberty
> so I
> guess we need to add apparent_sex_at_birth.

It turns out there are lots of ways apparent and genetic gender can
differ - some experts estimate that as many as 2% of all births do
not fall within strict definitions of M/F, although many might never
be discovered.  That and the increasing number of elective
transsexuals argues that the kind of discussion we're having now may
be de rigueur for DBAs in the future, at least in the medical field.

- John Burger
   MITRE