Re: Male/female - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Male/female
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/8/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 09:31 -0700, John Meyer wrote:
> > > COPY gender (gender_pk, gender) FROM stdin;
> > > 0    (unknown)
> > > 1    Male
> > > 2    Female
> > > 3    Trans
> > > \.
> >

> > Not to take this completely off track, but isn't transgendered not so
> > much a gender as it is a process of moving from one gender to another?
>
> Yes, but further I don't know of any country that recognizes anything
> but Male or Female.

what if you are maintaining a database for a surgeon who performs sex
changes? we may have to consider the element of time here!  I'd go
with a composite type with custom input and output functions (for
privacy)!  What about simple bacteria (unisexual)?  hm. maybe a new
branch of calculus is in order here.

merlin