Re: Male/female - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Nolan
Subject Re: Male/female
Date
List pgsql-general
IMHO you need at least five values:

Male
Female
Unknown (aka NULL)
Not Available
Not Applicable

BTW, my wife's grandfather's given name was "Pearl".

A few years ago I taught a lesson to a group of about 30 third grade students.  There were 6 students in that class with a first name pronounced like "Meagan", though there were 4 different spellings of it.  Only 5 of them were girls.
--
Mike Nolan

On 12/8/06, Jorge Godoy <jgodoy@gmail.com> wrote:
Madison Kelly <linux@alteeve.com> writes:

> Some people argue that gender is a spectrum. If you want to be very
> inclusive. Maybe you could use a 'float' and stick with 0 = woman, 1 = man
> (self documenting after all) with the option of '0.1 - 0.9' for people who
> feel "in between". How efficient is 'float'? This would also work for animals
> that fall outside then normal male/female designation.

Then you can use NULL to represent unknown information but you miss the other
possibility that was pointed out: the person refused to inform the gender.  To
cover all these possibilities with one single column we need a set of discrete
states.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster