Re: Male/female - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Godoy
Subject Re: Male/female
Date
List pgsql-general
Madison Kelly <linux@alteeve.com> writes:

> Some people argue that gender is a spectrum. If you want to be very
> inclusive. Maybe you could use a 'float' and stick with 0 = woman, 1 = man
> (self documenting after all) with the option of '0.1 - 0.9' for people who
> feel "in between". How efficient is 'float'? This would also work for animals
> that fall outside then normal male/female designation.

Then you can use NULL to represent unknown information but you miss the other
possibility that was pointed out: the person refused to inform the gender.  To
cover all these possibilities with one single column we need a set of discrete
states.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>